Role Queue Update

I looked over your last 24 hours of posts and found nothing to corroborate your statement that you “told” people it would count. Though, you would know more then I of the things you said.

After the last few hours of contemplation over this it is clear to me that Overwatch is basically in the same camp as World of Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm. Blizzard makes a statement that is almost universally accepted, doesn’t correct any misunderstanding, and then when they do come clean people run to their defense to validate Blizzard’s shady statements.

I am happy to hear you gained SR. I hope it sticks.

I still don’t appreciate being used in Blizzard’s Matchmaker test bed, when, as I read it none of it would matter. It wasn’t just the post I linked earlier either. Blizzard has made further statements, that I have read, regarding the elimination of Beta season activity.

It is just another Blizzard “thing”.

“To the ground, baby!”
“You think you do, but you don’t”
“Don’t you have a phone?”

I’d give you that, but Blizzard really screwed the pooch on this one. It wasn’t an assumption, it was based on their role queue announcement and apparently not wording it well at all based on recent announcements.

To borrow from an above poster:

However, beta season stats will only be available for a limited time and will not count toward a player’s permanent Competitive Season stats.

Source: Introducing Role Queue

Now we suddenly hear:

The results of your matches in the Role Queue Beta are not being thrown out and will be used by the matchmaking systems to help determine your skill in season 18.

That’s not assuming, that’s making a logical conclusion based on an official statement then having a weak “clarification” that they only meant profiles as justification at the end.

2 Likes

I said this way back when role queue beta came in. I gave up trying to correct it, so of course you see nothing in the last 24 hours. I do, however, always correct people in game when they say they aren’t trying because it ‘won’t count.’

Again, I’m Cassandra.

Me too. I hope to gain more, as well. I’d like to see my support SR at least reach diamond.

2 Likes

Not the first time, nor the last time Blizzard has been culpable of this type of behavior.

LOL, what, complaining about losing 100SR? Dude, this is like routine in lower ranks. I’d have weekends where I’d lose 800 SR due to back-to-back-to-back games of people just not caring. Some weeks you’d claw it all back 400SR each night. Other times you’d get stuck at that trough and it’d take a whole season to claw it back. Other times it’d take three weeks. This would happen over and over and over again, just massive swings where the skill is not even comparable, even though you still play no differently and can play at the higher SR yourself, but are bound by the way those around you play. Around season 9 I kept a record of ever W/L and the SR before/after each match, I had three spikes where I’d have streaks as much as 14 consecutive wins or losses, only to then almost immediately after swing the other way.

At this point SR is just a completely made-up number.

Two weeks ago Wyoming Myst, a Blizzard tech support employee writes;

Today is forced to correct this…two weeks later.

What amount of confirmation would be needed for it to be Blizzard’s fault?

3 Likes

WM is NOT a Blizzard employee. They are a forum MVP. They’re just a normal person who happens to be good with tech support stuff. They do not get paid by Blizzard for anything they do.

3 Likes

I can neither prove or disprove this…

Except I have known many an MVP forum poster in the past, and none of them had a job description next to their name.

As far as I know Wyoming Myst is a Blizzard employee and until I see a W-4 that says otherwise.

2 Likes

Please for the love of all that is holy do not carry over the MMR from role queue beta into Competitive Season 18. The biggest issue with this is the amount of individuals that are unfairly higher than they should be. The easiest way to explain this would be that people have not taken this a seriously as they would in other season, The biggest reasons for that is one, You introduced an unbalanced unplayed character instantly into competitive with no prior warning, two, you’ve named it a beta and no one thought that this season would carry over. We were initially thinking that we would be testing a mode that would be introduced 2 weeks later, Three, you’ve given us 18 days which is not enough time for peoples real Skill Rating should come out especially in a Grandmaster setting. Four, and one of the worst ones, There is no Skill Rating Decay, That allows players to sit at high ranks for the duration of the season not lifting a finger, Making Role Queue Beta SR no where near as competitive as Normal Season SR.

9 Likes

I’m the same. I got abused to no end trying to tell people to re-read and interpret what they had said, and they just refused, insisting that “everyone else says X, you’re the only one saying Y so YOU must be wrong”. Lol, no, that’s not how reading works.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the hard work, developers.
Can’t wait to have role select in QP.

1 Like

This, so many times over. I’ve lost track of the number of times WM has said something that is just blatantly incorrect, but because he has that tag next to his name people just believe him over anyone trying to correct him. It’s ridiculous, but people need to stop believe people just because they have an ‘MVP’ tag next to their name and actually critically assess what people say.

2 Likes

Forum MVP’s started in World of Warcraft, and as far as I know Wyoming Myst is the only OW one. He puts a lot of effort especially into OWL announcements on the forums.

I do not believe they are paid or work in Blizzard’s development offices – so while they certainly can get more information than most of us due to higher visibility, they aren’t an active part of development or know everything that is going on real time.

He, like a lot of us, made an assumption based on the announcement. Hence his ask for clarification today, much to a lot of our dismay with the answer.

3 Likes

This is willful ignorance. WM has a ‘tech support forum mvp’ title. FORUM MVP. Not Blizzard employee, and they have stated many times that they are not employed by Blizzard. Since you went through my post history, try going through theirs.

Here, I did it for you:

Check.
Mate.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I’m also in favor of a full MMR reset, since the entire system of competitive overwatch is moving to a new format, I think skill rating should do the same, but at the very least the beta season shouldn’t be used for MMR.

3 Likes

Nah, there’s a couple of others. I’ve had issues with another one who just constantly gives out incorrect technical advice and, unfortunately, same deal - because they have that tag, people believe them. They end up this way because of quantity, not quality of posts.

Blizzard don’t really do anything to stem misinformation being given out - even if it’s by forum members they’ve tagged. But you absolutely can’t call them out on it, as users get banned over doing so.

Do not use the ELO gained/lost for season 18 placements. This is a huge mistake. Your placement algorithms were horrible in beta. These players do not deserve to be in high elo, yet you’re about to use a flawed algorithm to place them there?

If you’re fine with this, you should be fine with hard resetting SR for anyone above 3000. Because as it stands, games are going to be absolutely horrible for all of season 18 for anyone half-way decent at the game.

Gotcha – I don’t look at the tech support forums much so I wouldn’t know. I just see his posts because of the OWL updates.

They also have a habit of just repeating everything other people already said. /shrug

I like WM and all, but they don’t work for Blizzard. I’m glad they’re around to help people out with answers and tech support stuff, but they’re not an authority figure.

1 Like

I’m sure Blizzard will be deeply saddened if they successfully frustrate you, your friends and many more into giving them more money by purchasing new copies of the game.

Oh, wait. They wont be! This is why Comp has been trash for the longest time. To try and frustrate you into buying smurf accounts! It’s basically like a subscription fee for WoW. That’s also why they made seasons shorter.

You play an account for a Season or two, then the meta changes, or they pull a stunt like this, a certain percentage suffer from SR loss greater than 500, and a certain portion of that will be frustrated enough to buy a new copy of Overwatch.

Can you explain how people place with ~600 lower than they should on their Main Role?

2 Likes