Role Q, thats the way to do it

The match maker builds team as follows.
2 Supports role locked, 1 main tank role locked, 1 off tank unlocked, 2 dps unlocked.

So you have a 2/2/2 build but you still have 3 players able to flex so you can play anything viable except quad dps, which is not viable and probably never should be.

Players queue up as their prefered role as priority 1 and can (optional) set another secondary role as priority 2.
To avoid long queue times the match maker will give you your secondary role, if he cant find a quick match with your first priority.

However, you will get a higher priority to get your prefered role next game as a reward. The match maker will place you first as your prefered role over those who compete with you for the same role, but had their prefered role last game.

So you will end up in a first priority, second priority rotation in case you play an overpopulated role, which will probably be dps.

Thoughts?

Edit: New addition
You will be able to send role slot exchange requests to teammates between rounds.

If both players agree they swap slots. This opens up the option for exampel, if you have a main tank who play mainly Reinhardt, but is terrible on Winston, but the next map favors Winston heavily over Reinhardt, to swap slots.

That way another teammate who is good at Winstons can swap to the main tank slot, while the old main tank gets the role of the new Winston player.

3 Likes

Sorry but that sounds more like a selfish DPS player’s dream plan than anything close being a fix for some the current match making and meta/comp issues.
You’re basically saying “Look plebs you all lock in double support and one tank to support ME! I don’t want to ever have to do any of those roles, then just let us, the DPS queue master race 100% determine if/what/how sort of comps we run!”

Yeah… no… pass. Like hard pass.
As it does nothing to change anything about getting trash 3DPS teams or solo tank or 3-3 issues etc.
role queue needs to either be some sort of drastic change that reworks the entire system or a more workable fix is just a soft role queue that is more -suggestions- then demands.

Players rank their preferred roles, so something like DPS/Support/Tank and then the match maker tries to avoid building a team with players who all have the same main role as their top #1 pick. Yet even then, I’m not really sure that’s going to solve some of the issue we now have in game.
So much of this is 100% community problems to the core, you can’t fix that on a Dev level.

6 Likes

Tell me one viable comp which doesnt involve at least a main tank and 2 supports? How is this biased torwards dps players?

The whole team doesnt function without these.

2 Likes

BOS Comp, no healers only one tank and nothing else than pure DPS on targets. you might get variations but the comp is only dependant on three heroes. others would be welcomed but not required.

BOS plus 3 dps is not viable. You still can run BOS with the system i suggested.

ok Bos might work with your system but what are you going to do with the players are annoyed and with you removing their options to play the hero they want to play. Your system will annoy a lot of people more than it is satisfied by it.

This is role queue. Everyone gets to play the role they want to play. You wont be locked into playing support or main tank if you didnt queue up for that in the first place.

another set of questions. things that need to be asked.

What will be the changes to matchmaking times.

Will players at all levels of the game be willing to accept those changes if it means a 30-90% increase of waiting.

What about the lesser played roles compared to the more played, will there be a EXP boost/nerf due to how fast or slow a player has to wait for a game.

More popular roles will have by nature a longer wait time. Thats why there is the second priority role which gets you faster in the game. Still not optimal, but it rewards you with higher priority for the next game.
If you dont care what you play and just care for getting a fast game, you can just play unpopular roles, which probably will be main tanks as these will get a game the fastest.

2 Likes

basically overwatch could do it like LoL does, the numero-uno moba/teamfighter.
yes ! they have the best matchmaking, everyone should learn from that.

2 Likes

so in other words as long as you get what you want screw the rest of the player base.

How do you come to that conclusion?

@Shadow your words make no sense, because in this case, everyone gets what they want. also if you play this game for your exp/min, you should try WoW instead…
this game is definitely not about exp…
@Deykar with this solution, most dps players will finally learn how to play the game, as they will more likely start to play tank/support.

I probably should add that the second priority role is entirely optional. If you dont mind long waiting times but want a guarantee on your prefered role, you can just queue exclusively for the 1 role you want to play. But it has its trade offs.

you know the games devs. they are certain they re-invented the wheel to roll more-properly.
theres nothing they can learn now, they are knowledge itself ¨!!
in their opinion, league of legends should adopt blizzards matchmaking !!!
you heard Jeff Kaplan on a stream recently, saying; we think matchmaking is pretty fine atm !
:,)

1 Like

its still a system if you are silling to look away from rose coloured glasses that will hemorrhage players and honestly will never be accepted by Blizzard. it is close to midnight in my part of the world.

My only idea to anyone proposing this is to look for the flaws in the system you proposing and be bloody honest about them. any and all systems has its issues and you should think worst case and then think about best case. and using those come up with three or four middle case.

yeah a pain in the seat interface i know but thinking one idea is golden is a bad mind set.

@Shadow have you ever played LoL ?
of course you didnt.
otherwise you’d know that, LoL has THE BEST and MOST FUNCTIONAL matchmaker out there.
theres reasons if LoL is one of the top-games worldwide, after so many years.

What if one day, 4/1/1 becomes meta ?

then supports and tanks will quit or trollpick
nobody wants to tank/support for them wannabe dps players

Downsides of this system, no sugar coating.

1. Youre entirely locked out of quad dps or more. 3 dps will be the max. possible you will ever have on a team.

This can be seen as a negative as you have less options. However i do see it as a positive as i dont conisder these comps competitively viable.

1. May be not future proof, if blizzard decides to make running a main tank and 2 supports not viable via balance changes.

In case hero balance is completey whack, then this system will hurt as players cant adapt.

But that goes back to my first point where i think quad dps should never be a viable option in the first place.

1. Longer queue times for popular roles.

Thats why i added the secondary role option to avoid that. Since it adds higher priority in the next game, it will still encourage people more than the complete freedom we have currently.

There are people who like to flex, but want to play a certain role they ususally dont play once in a while, but dont get to play them because their teammates prefer them on heroes they have more experience on. This system gives you guarantees that you will get your role at least next game, if you didnt get it already.