ROLE LOCK and HERO POOLS destroying the player base

It’s a very strong indicator of a reduction of player participation, as is the reduction in participation of players on these forums and Reddit - which has been tangible over the past few months - suggests that.

MMO-C have also dropped their coverage of the game. As have a number of streamers and news sites.

We can even see in game, queue times are longer, the variation in SR in matchmade groups is increasing.

There are indicators all over the place that at the very least, interest in the game is waning, so it’s impossible to dispute that, and throwing back that “That doesn’t mean the playerbase is decreasing” feels more than a little absurd.

It is what it is, the reasons are many and varied, is it Role Lock? For me it certainly is; does that mean it is for others? Not necessarily. Is it Hero Pools? For the OP, it certainly sounds like it - and Jeff himself accepts that it has issues. Is it just an old game and people are bored and playing other stuff? Probably some of that…

1 Like

2/2/2 Role Q is the best thing that happened to Overwatch since the introduction of the Hero Limit.

Hero Pools on the other hand will cause a lot of problems and frustration until the Tank and Support rosters are at least getting close to the size of the DPS roster.

Would love to see absolutely any claims provided that prove this claim of yours… :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but according to literally every single source of evidence out there, the majority of the player base is in favor of role - lock and has been so since the system’s release… There’s no going around that…

As for the hero pools though, I have no evidence here to support any claim of a majority/minority and I have to say that even I, a Flex player, have really mixed feeling on Hero Pools… :man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

1 Like

Outside of just looking at queue times, how you know? Got stats?

1 Like

all of the sources of data that I am aware of this sort are invalid. Do you know of any valid sources? For clarity, one’s personal stance either way has no bearing whatsoever on whether a given source of data is valid

Just the usual:…

1. It the latest Developer Update Jeff Kaplan himself said that 2/2/2 role - queue was overall a “positive” change.
  2. Here are some official developer quotes that were released a couple of months ago:

And even more importantly, here’s the point where the overall very positive opinion of the majority of the game’s player base is touched upon:

1. I have to admit this isn’t such a trustworthy source, but just the fact that the grand majority of the unofficial polls created in social places as historically negative for some reason as these Forums have surprisingly shown 2/2/2 role - lock to be a clear winner amongst fans, with the different concensus sometimes even touching 3:1 in favor of the system really says a lot

For clarity, I’m not the one you should be directing this to :slight_smile:

Dude, role lock and hero pools were introduced because players were so tired of the meta and wanted something done, even though the ideas weren’t thoroughly thought out, and the consequences weren’t considered by said players before they opened their mouth/posted on the forums. And when called out by opponents with valid arguments, those pro-role lock and pro-hero bans players false-flagged them and Blizzard banned those players even though they did nothing wrong, and it’s the false flaggers who should be banned.

At this point, my hope is that if/when Overwatch 2 releases, they will take the time to ensure no forum comes with the game. Cos nowadays, most of the ideas aren’t thoroughly thought out, and most feedback is built with the intent to destroy rather than save the game, which said “feedback” is being crafted by a bunch of retirement-age grandmas and grandpas who see gaming (and the Internet, really) as a scourge and want us to go back to the 1950s in terms of technology available, manners displayed, and general viewpoints of the time (all of which were heavily conservative, which wouldn’t be a problem if it were 1950 and not 2020).

Oof. Tell us what really happened, sport.

For further clarity, I am aware of all of the items/data mentioned above

Friend, see my post above. Overwatch is a mess thank in no small part to these freaking forums, which should not be a thing if/when OW2 releases, considering most of the “feedback” is made to destroy rather than save the game by retirement-age grandmas/grandpas who see gaming (and the Internet as a whole) as a scourge and want the world to go back to the 1950s in terms of technology available, manners displayed, and general viewpoints of the time (all of which were heavily conservative, which wouldn’t be a problem were it 1950 and not 2020).

Meanwhile.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/80-people-in-queue-ps4-number-keeps-increasing/479420

Back in my day, we got the whole video game as it was and none of this balance changes, cosmetics, and lootbox.

Sorry. Wanted to emulate as much of an old gamer as I could, while also avoiding the other side of that argument.

As far as I’m aware, there have been no confirmed player deaths due to Blizzard’s implementation of a feature in any game to date. If there were, the media would be all over it.

You’ll have to excuse me if I read that in the voice of an old guy that college improv comedy groups try to emulate during a game of “Back In My Day”.

But either way, I hope your understand what I’m trying to say. Cos this forum offers no real constructive purpose other than to try and destroy the game and false-flag everyone you can. In fact, I’d even be happy to take a perma-ban from the Blizzard forums, cos nowadays it’s a toxic pool of people flinging piles of monkey crap at each other about one topic or the other.

Working 100% as planned. I am from that age group that grew up with the evolution of gaming, but I get a laugh of that statement.

I can see where you’re coming from though, or meet you halfway in an understanding. People say devs don’t listen at all, but a majority of the changes made have honestly stemmed from stuff people more consistently gripe about on the forum, it’s just never what they specifically asked for.

Ahhh…

And I thought the bias had wore off… :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

“Enjoy because people are beeing forced” find the error

idk. I like the owl bans though. We say torb. we say soldier. who thought we would ever see them?

hero pools in comp. okay eh, you can get rid or not.

owl- so fun to watch please keep

hahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

you have got that reverted, just saying. But its true no one wants to tank, but its not cause they are the weakest, when they are infact the strongest and most impactful its cause the role “tank” in any game is disliked. Period.

Agreed, and this is coming from a Tank player.
I honestly think the entirety of the Tank and Support Role (and heroes included) should straight up be removed from the game.
If you want an extreme opinion, I wished Overwatch was more CS:GO than trash Moba (Which should have never existed in the place).