Rez is holding mercy back

Yet another Mercy thread! Yay…

Rez is a powerful ability. That’s pretty much universally agreed on. It’s been nerfed into the ground, sure, but being able to skip the respawn timer and the walk back from spawn? That’s really good.

So good, in fact, that the devs are probably afraid to buff Mercy in anyway thanks to it. We don’t want another Moth Meta, so Mercy ends up being in a confusing middle ground where she supposedly has good healing, but not enough for a main healer, and supposedly has good enough utility, yet why would you run her as an off-support?

So here’s what I think: We get rid of Rez and replace it with a better ability that can solidify Mercy’s role without causing another Moth Meta. And on the way, buffs can be made to other parts of her kit. Why shouldn’t she have better healing if she doesn’t have the strongest ability in the game anymore?

4 Likes

I agree. I keep saying, Remove Rez and give her an ability that gives dmg resistance and a cleanse. I will keep repeating it until it’s a thing

4 Likes

Totally agree, I’d like mini Valkyrie/independent-mobility on E, she has a Battle Angel highlight intro with no in-game merit to it

2 Likes

Nah, rez is not holding Mercy back but Blizz themselves. They are making her a off support but her kit is all about healing.

I keep saying this but switch valk with rez, Valk with a few changes can make a good E ability and mass rez can be balanced as well for a ult.

5 Likes

No no, Valk just needs buffs to be a great ult or minor changes. The ability would work like a Zen orb, you put a halo on a teammate and it’s a cleanse and dmg resistance. It could even work as a defensive ability, letting Mercy self-cast

No, mass rez isn’t coming back. I loved Mass Rez, but it’s not a thing. We gotta move on tbh

It didn’t really work the first time around, and I doubt it would be balanced this time. This is Blizzard’s balancing we’re talking about here. I do agree Blizz is holding her back to some degree, like I said they’re probably scared of making her completely OP like in days of yore

1 Like

Rez really isn’t hold her back though, and it’s also not the strongest ability in the game. Nade or speedboost is.

Mercy can be buffed just fine without removing rez, in fact I think she will probably get a healing buff on experimental next week. Current Mercy with 60 HPS was balanced and only meta due to double sniper and grav dragon. Being meta =/= being OP.

I hope 60 HPS returns with no nerfs and the community can see Mercy is perfectly balanced with it.

1 Like

It would also be a fun way to reach areas independently. She’s never advertised as being this crippled to a team mates location, just a friendly winged healer.

I honestly think Mercy could use a mayor rework, like actually big one

And i mean to her design overall, not just one or two abilities

You have to be careful putting flight/Valk as an E ability…that would drastically lower her skill ceiling if it wasn’t done correctly. Having a free escape button on cooldown could drastically lower the skill required to play her and reduce the emphasis Mercy has always had on good GA usage and movement/positioning.

Like it or not, GA is her core gameplay, and so is being tied to teammates for mobility. That’s what makes Mercy Mercy.

That’s never happening though. Not even with OW2.

She’s shown using Valk as her ult twice in the OW2 gameplay trailer, both in PvP AND in PvE where her talents are confirmed to be done which means her entire 9 talents are already built around her current kit.

AND in the OW2 UI they showed off Mercy has her current kit.

I do think that it is the strongest ability. Teamfights are won by killing the enemy, both thr abilities you listed aid in that: Nade makes killing quicker and speedboost helps you get to thr enemies faster so you can kill them. One of the top pieces of advice for lower-tier players is to try to stay alive, and the ability to negate the need for that? Pretty powerful.

Her design has a lot of issues though

DMG boost is a problem

Her pocket nature is a problem

Ress is a problem

Etc

What’s up with the “we don’t want rez anymore” threads??? They’re like popping everywhere, am I the only mercy player who kinda likes it???

2 Likes

Removing rez won’t solve much either, there’s also the problem that it’s tied heavily to the hero with achievements.

It didn’t work cause they over did it with invulnerability. After that they didn’t even try to balance it before the rework.

Why should they be scared? They have a experimental card, would be a great way to see if it could work. Would rather them at least try instead of flat out not doing it.

I agree with that

No, it’s not, and hasn’t ever been a problem hence why it’s been pretty much untouched for the game’s lifespan and they’ve only ever experimented with buffs. In fact Geoff said he wants to make it stronger even several few months ago.

No it’s not, it’s what makes Mercy Mercy.

Not in its current form, no.

If you don’t like her having damage boost, being single target, and having rez…don’t play her.

No, I like it. It gives her carry potential right now.

1 Like

They did actually, early Mercy Mass Rez had a cast time for a while even in beta/alpha.

Then they tested it where she could only stand still but made it instant cast.

Then they tested with mobility.

Then they added invuln.

Removed ability to use it in spawn.

etc.

They tested a lot of things for it. It didn’t work so it got removed entirely. It’s not coming back.

I don’t care if it comes back or not but the game is also different then what it was since launch and beta.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I want mass Rez back, but they aren’t gonna do it. No matter how fun and balanced a combination of this Mercy and old Mercy would be, Blizzard has refused to even try even though they have the experimental card for things like this

The issue with DMG boost is that it straight up breaks other heroes, Ashe and Pharah being clear examples

Only similar abilities are either Ults such has Ana and Orisa, or work on a single target which is Zen

Yeah… this is Mercy in a nutshell

She can pocket a hero extremely easily

And i see a lot of Mercy’s saying how they dont like it, myself included

If they do a full on rework, they can make her considerably more engaging and get rid of the issues above

You’re right, Echo is in the game now and her having the potential to get probably 3-5 Mass Rez’s over the course of her 15 second ultimate would be disgusting. I’m glad it’s gone for that reason alone especially.