šŸ™ Response to the Dev Update

I love that the theme of the update is community ideas. Iā€™m extremely excited for the ā€œExperimental Cardā€ in arcade, this has been an idea for quite some time. It will enfranchise console players into the testing experience and overall make testing changes mainstream, as it should be. Its also great to know that action is being taken against cheaters, this is another major community concern.

Everyone is really excited by faster patches.

As for the controversial part: ā€œHero Poolsā€
A few things:

I think its good that the team is flexible with how they want to implement it, but at the same time, many are rightly concerned that it is counter to the spirit of Overwatch.
Hopefully it doesnā€™t explode in anyoneā€™s face, but seeing how removing just one tank or support has the potential to ruin all games for a weekā€¦ well, my hopes arenā€™t high.

Iā€™m mostly relieved I never got into competitive.

Still, I think forcing change is kinda what the community could use, the playerbase is extremely stubborn and often only thinks in the context of whatever meta its in. Personally, Iā€™d change the ban list daily.

22 Likes

Iā€™d be for banning it daily as well. Iā€™m glad Iā€™ll get a chance to use my flex skills again (in that Iā€™ve practiced every hero a lot and will still be able to play well with whatever is in the pool that week) but I can only imagine how many players will just sit weeks out where ā€œtheir heroā€ isnā€™t in the pool and then complain about how they canā€™t play or something.

2 Likes

Role Queue will actually collapse some weeks. Think about if heroes like Roadhog, Reinhardt, Mercy, or Moira are banned.

4 Likes

Oh, I forgot to mention, Overbuff is officially obsolete.

4 Likes

I think Hero Pools is a great idea for GM/Masters, but itā€™s overkill for Plat and below.

āœ… Hero Pools = Only +3250SR games

3 Likes

What do you mean by that?

1 Like

Had not thought about that. Good point. Stats will be hard to read if you never know what situation they were created in.

1 Like

Because not every hero will be playable at the same time anymore.

Junkrat might be top dog one week, banned the next, trash the week after.

Overbuff will be chaos, especially if you follow daily changes.

2 Likes

It means that once certain meta heroes are banned, even amongst public profiles the data will be too skewed to judge a heroā€™s performance via win/pickrates.

Banned week-long periods of time will affect the data too much for Overbuff to be remotely reliable data.

Maybe the devs want to ban Rein for a week to finally force Diamond to play someone else?

Hero Pools are going to be extremely hard for the current community due to the fact that a large portion of the game tries to imitate pros and OWL meta even at lower tiers. Now they have to think for themselves on what heroes to use.

How am i going to one trick Zarya if sheā€™s disabled?

I cant wait for onetricks to QQ when their hero is out of the pool.

Expect ALOT more players leaving early matches in comp bwahahaha

As for the more agressive balancing stuff, im all for it, this new game mode will be a nice way to quickly test stuff out for direct gameplay and will target a much wider audience then only the ptr ppl.

You might have to learn Hammond after all.
Or just avoid comp the few weeks she will be banned, if that ever even happens to her.

1 Like

hey i am diamond and want it to. just to wide my own hero pool and not getting flamed that i am not playing my best hero or something, or flaming my self for playing my best hero.

If the meta is going to be switching so frequently, how are your teammates going to be able to pay attention to the meta.

Iā€™ll skip on that one. Iā€™m not about to play characters that can be shut down by some dude pressing H. Iā€™m all about that Zarya. Iā€™ll go on flanking adventures as hog at most if i must, but iā€™m not going to play characters the community wants me to play. I donā€™t play the game for the community, i play the game because i want to on my own terms.

All I could hear was

ā€˜To keep our game fresh we are going to block existing stuff like maps and heroes instead of adding new ones like we actually should doā€™.

I wish they just release the OW2 maps, heroes and modes already and sell the story stuff later as payed DLC when it is done. There hasnā€™t been added anything new (heroes + maps) to OW in such a long time now. I really hope they are not looking for a december release of OW2.

2 Likes

No, but people will have to rely on weekly more. I was thinking about overbuff and the stats while watching the dev update.

I look forward to ā€œMei is underpowered, she has a 0 pick rate this weekā€ posts by people who think they are being funny.

it was obsolete to me when private profiles became a thing :joy: