Respawn Timer Took 25 Seconds

I originally posted this on Reddit, and two other people have experienced the same thing as of writing this. (reddit post)

In a quickplay game during a fight I was the first on my team to die. As I was waiting to respawn, I was looking at the scoreboard, and I saw my respawn timer reset multiple times. My team all eventually died, and all of our timers kept resetting on the scoreboard, and we all respawned together. As I said in my title, it took me 25 seconds to respawn after my death. I also recall seeing a black screen at some moment (but I was definitely still in the game and hearing sound effects).

My replay code is 8Z5XDQ, and you can see in the replay that our respawn timers on our hero profiles at the top keep loading and reloading. The reddit post I linked also has someone else’s replay code, and the hero profiles in their game also reloaded.

Might be a bug from the midseason patch during a team kill or when 4+ players die??

2 Likes

I had this happen in two seperate games tonight, and I had the exact same glitch. I was 2 seconds from respawning, my team all died, heard team kill, then got a black screen for about 10 seconds, then my timer reset to 5 seconds AFTER waiting 10 seconds on a black screen. It is something related to team kills and respawning as a group, but it is definitely a bug.

1 Like

I had this issue happen as well, although my total spawn time was about 14-15 seconds. I initially attributed it to being tied to a potential team wipe scenario (as my entire team was wiped around when I had 6ish left to spawn).

Given what you guys described here, it sounds like the quick play simul-spawn logic is daisy-chaining together improperly. Respawn timers should never adjust more than once based on how it was initially described, and this definitely changed after Tuesday’s update.

1 Like

This bug just cost us a round in Oasis quick play. Four of our team members were dead and had 3 seconds left to spawn, but upon the fifth’s death we were all given an additional 7 seconds to respawn to sync us up with that person (after the four of us had already been synced up due to the progressive nature of the fight).

This extra lost time made it physically impossible to get back to the control point in time, whereas we could have triggered Overtime without it.

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue. This happened multiple times while playing today, and I saved the game footage of 3 of these lengthened respawns with black screens.

1 Like

Were you playing qp games or ranked games? My game was qp, and the other people in this post and in the reddit post have said this happened in their qp games, so I’m wondering if anyone has also experienced this in comp too.

I’ve had this happen

The feature was specific to Quick Play when it was first introduced in Season 8. The main problem is that Season 9 (and possibly the most recent patch) broke the logic to allow it to daisy-chain.

Ohhh right I completely forgot the group spawn feature was for qp only

This just happened to me (in QPC). I died and I was just about to respawn when a teammate died (actually I think two died). My respawn got reset to about 5 seconds after counting down the initial 10.

it happened to me i thought i was tripping for a sec, like the timer just refresh insted of spawning me and the other dps/healer. point was 60% by the time we respawn it was at 92% lmfaooo. there was a black screen i thought my graphics card gave up on me.

yayy Gavin Winter, systems designer, wrote here that they’re working on a fix (but it won’t be ready before the weekend)