Reset MMR will fix comp

If they reset mmr and made placements 100 games per role. Yes that would help comp have people placed where they should be. Are you game for that?

We could even not show sr until the end of the season, kind of like taking a test. How many conspiracy theories would that stir up:)

Bronze is already miserable. At least give those folks a chance to see actually talented gameplay for once.

I don’t want it for me I want it for the players that are still ranked too high and sit at ranks they don’t belong because players carry them.

Wrong. Its already complete chaos in the lower ranks.

I do. And I can tell you a ladder reset is better protection for everyone. The leaders will still bubble up to the top ranks in a few games, but will at least have to work for it again rather than being grandfathered in, fighting minimal decay, and playing on alt accnts in stacks like they are right now.

Wrong. We live on a ladder where for some ranks, most games are ruined already - and we’ve done these calcs. It would be at most 30 matches, with the first few more ‘ruinous’ and the later few slightly perturbed.

There are only a few masters/GM players, and its only the DPS mains who would impart any kind of realistic ‘oppression’. And we already deal with plenty of high ranked pocketed smurfs at most ranks.

Just mathematically wrong.

Its already miserable. We’re the rank everyone’s alt accounts meet up to take massive dumps on one another. A ladder reset at least fixes things bringing the untouchables down a notch and giving hardstucks a reason to tryhard and escape.

You can’t go any further down when you’re already at rock bottom. A reset provides huge upside chances and almost no downside risk.

Again thats mathematically wrong. A ladder reset/collapse sorts people out quite fast.

Not resetting the ladder is more about protecting washed-up high-ranking entitled and clout-bearing players then most of the playerbase at-large.

Not resetting the ladder is more about protecting these elitist few from low ranked ‘normies’ supposedly ruining their games. When in fact many of these normies probably play more, are less washed and more hungry and looking to take the title from the champ.

So to fix the issue you perceive of players at ranks too high… You suggest putting all players in ranks too low…

Yeah. Makes total sense.

The other option, and this is a long shot I know, stop worrying about ranks and just chill out. Play with mates, have laugh and walk away.

You keep saying that Xion is mathematically wrong. Okay. Show your math.

Or you you can look at mine: https://www.reddit.com/r/OverwatchUniversity/comments/aatezy/why_match_quality_is_frequently_poor/, and see that resets take approximately 150 games per player to stabilize, and since many players don’t play that much, months of lower quality games is a reasonable expectation.

Or you can trust that Scott knows what he’s talking about (or hired people who know):

The tau is trash. We talked about that. 30 games should give you enough convergence. They already toss us into 5 placement matches rofl, and for seasons upon seasons forced 10 meaningless placements.

EDIT: Trueskill/elo is dated. We also talked about that too. You should have combinatorial tournaments to bin people out of the gates faster.

It takes hundreds of games for a single person to get to their deserved rank. Some people would grind that out inside of a month but most either cant or wont.

The result is people being in the wrong rank where they either stomp or get stomped for months on end if not more.

No it wouldn’t because t500 players would be playing with bronze players the entire comp system would be f**ked up

1 Like

This was obvious for anyone with half a brain. But now we have evidence and people still want it :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

People just want an mmr reset because there not good enough to climb after a few weeks of it everybody would be back.gm would be gm bronze would be bronze throwers would be throwers its just making your players waste time to get back to the same position just git gud

How can one even reconcile these statements.

• Placements have been in their game…but they don’t matter. Then why have them at all? Good design? Does that bring into question the rest of their ladder design? I think yes.
  • Match quality is harmed for months because we cant figure out your skill.
  • But we can quickly change your sr.
  • But we can quickly and accurately determine your sr.
  • But we can’t consider a full reset.

Like…what is Scott even saying? Can they or can’t they? Like…wake up call for ur ladder designers pls.

we need a new SR calculation formulas. If you lose but have an extraordinary performance you could win SR, Same if you won the match but you did nothing you should lose SR.

Prioritize Individual performance over Group performance. Ex: Im a main healer, if as a moira I did 30k+ heals and 10k+ dmg but lost the match because DPS could kill anything, I dont deserve to be in bronze with trash dps. I’m doing my job as a healer but dont get rewarded because troll dps. Im being punished just by having bad luck with bad teams.

I like to play support but before was worse with 1 sup, 1 tank and 4 dps, I was in low silver for a long time. With 222 I’m climbing so fast I’m near plat.

So I can confirm Elo Hell is a nightmare and that is killing the player base of the game. A soft MMR with new formulas to recalculate your true SR its needed.

Its not just about git gud bronze to GM climb - even though ladder mobility in dps role is horrendous.

Its the fact that people are washed and dialed-in ‘up above the clouds’.

You have a chunk of people in diamond+ that got there by various means over years - flexing and playing in groups and dodging real games by trolling and practicing on smurf accounts. But their main accounts are grandfathered-in ‘above the clouds’.

Now you have e.g. tank/support mains like XQC try dps in this new role queue system and absolutely trash all their placements. They should really be gold…but no problem, lack of reset means they’re 200-300sr below their main role, literally carried by anchor stats, zero reset, diamond+ equivalent teammates who are able to carry. At higher tiers its even worse - becomes a total inner sanctum with everyone on everyone’s friends list.

Meanwhile its the complete opposite in (low) bronze because of smurfs, throwers, leavers, cancels and backpressure.

You’re artificially kept low facing upwards friction, versus the ppl above the clouds, artificially kept high and facing dowards friction.

There is an ELO heaven just like there is an ELO hell, which Trueskill/elo systems don’t capture properly (for various reasons).

It needs a reset so the mighty can fall and suffer through hard carry after hard carry, maybe finding out that there off roles are literally 1000s of sr away from their main.

Let’s assume for a moment that you are correct, that there is some system out there that is vastly better than what Blizzard is using. Blizzard is not using this system, so people’s ratings will take months to converge after a reset.

If you can demonstrate that there is a better system, you should be pushing for that better system before a reset. Otherwise, a reset will just cause pain and no benefit.

Placements don’t make a lot of sense as implemented. The don’t “place” people in any meaningful sense of the term. The only benefits of placements as implemented are that they gate keep competitive points per season, and they allow Blizzard to nudge player MMR between seasons without it being obvious.

The operative word here is that “we try to quickly change your SR”. He’s not claiming that they can accurately and quickly place people. He is explicitly saying that they can’t.

It’s not as bad, though, if people are approximately correct, as happened at the beginning of season 18. Also, if there are only a small number of new accounts, and most people’s ratings are accurate, it is easier (though still difficult) to place the new accounts quickly.

When I started I was < 1000. I’ve been plat, currently gold. My story is not unique. It’s just a matter of playing better than your rank for enough games to overcome random factors.

Once you stop trying to blame the system, and working on improving, you will be one step closer to climbing.

HAHAHA what balanced games

I don’t see how that will fix anything at all. Please stop asking for that, nothing will change. You’ll just have a burst of unfair matches and everyone will level out again.

did they not just do an accidental MMR reset and had t500 placed in gold?

The point is that people won’t level out again. There are a ton of players that can hold their own at certain ranks, propped up by scripted teamplay - but could never carry themselves out of bronze.

Remember the time when they first put comp season 18 live and it had a bug where your previous stats were not taken into account? That time that GM players got placed in gold and the competitive season had to be cancelled after a few hours?

That’s what happens when you reset MMR you cause a mess and create extremely unfair games. It will not fix comp.