Rendering Device has been lost - Causing a Exp Penalty

I currently have a 9 game penalty on experience on Overwatch directly related to the fact that Overwatch constantly shuts down and gives the error that a “Rendering Device has been lost”. I have uninstalled my video drivers and installed new ones, using a cleaning program. That did not help. I have uninstalled as much unnecessary software as possible from my computer. I only have this error message pop up during Overwatch, no other game causes it.

Since this bug will not be resolved, is there anyway for blizzard to know that the reason a player left a match is because of this bug? I don’t even bother playing comp at this time, as the risk is too high for a ban.

I literally will never leave a match, but this Rendering Device issue/bug whatever, has made Overwatch gameplay impossible, and now I’m actually getting penalized for it.

4 Likes

This error happens when two apps want access to your GPU at the same time. More info: Known Technical Support Issues - Updated Oct 13, 2021 - #11

This issue made me basically get a new PC. I have all new components besides my RAM and I also did a clean install of Windows 10. This is a Blizzard issue. More and more people are encountering this issue and it’s clearly something on their end. I basically have to stop playing their game because of it and they are going to lose players if they don’t fix this soon.

1 Like

Blizzard refuse to accept that this is a problem on their end… they try to blame our hardware because otherwise they will have to learn how to code properly and actually fix their game.

They seriously try to say that all of us have faulty hardware rather than admit they screwed up their game.

Maybe we should all band together, collect our receipts from buying new hardware and start a class action lawsuit against Blizzard.

There are lots of reasons this error can happen though, and it’s not entirely specific to Overwatch:

• A third-party overlay or app that wants to interact with the GPU at the exact same time as Overwatch
  • The GPU takes too long to respond to Overwatch, causing a crash
  • Poor seating of the card into the motherboard
  • Overheating issues
  • Damaged monitor cable or port

… and a myriad of other things.

I agree there are many reasons for it but explain how I get it on two different computers (laptop and desktop) (see my topic for more info)?

I’m sorry to reply to my own thread, I made a new topic without realizing this one was still there. Sorry, feel free to delete Blizz moderators if needed.

They likely have software in common, or similar permissions on an antivirus app. Something like that.

No antivirus app aside from microsoft’s windows defender. No common software aside from BattleNet client and Overwatch.

As I said before it is very easy for you to blame it on software installed or hardware failure but never on your GAME that actually causes the GPU to hang up at random and after the TdrDelay kicks in and kills the gpu driver.

I personally experience it at different times, can be as soon as game is started and as late as right before the game ends.

Thank you for answering but it seems you all have been told to just blame it on customers which is not good.

Just to be clear: I am only a forum MVP and not an employee of Blizzard.

I have personally experienced this error, and I sympathize with your situation. In my case, it was the nVidia drivers (a new one) that were causing the issue. I ended up rolling back about 2 months and it worked perfectly, then I recently updated them again and thankfully everything is still working as of this post (:crossed_fingers:) .

In most cases that we have resolved on the forums in the last 6 months, it has been something on the computer itself causing the Windows TDR to happen. Two apps try to access the GPU at the same time (usually an overlay, or something else related to gaming, like an audio driver), and it doesn’t know who has priority, so it crashes. I’d be happy to look over a DxDiag (which can sometimes help spot this problem) if you post one, or you can submit one to the staff via ticket and work with them.

@Nicole understood.

I am very well aware of what can trigger those errors and I am not implying it is always the game at fault but official support and here on the forums I very rarely see oh it can be our game indeed but it is always nah it is your software, drivers, hardware.

I solved the problem for now by limiting the FPS to a value that utilizes the GPU at 40-45% so there is very slim chance for the GPU to be flooded with draw calls (tasks) and trigger TDR.

It is the GPU Scheduler that distributes the tasks and monitors the GPU - overlays (discord, geforce experience, steam) can indeed be causing the GPU to hang up and I am glad you have helped many people solve their issues.

What I want is the DEV TEAM to acknowledge the issue and try to fix it. Not saying it is easy or not, haven’t even bothered to troubleshoot any further but using

D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DISABLE_GPU_TIMEOUT

in DX11.1 and later is not recommended but might come in handy as an OPTION for those who experience TDR.

However, either way I am playing just a few games a week nowadays and I don’t care much about the game anymore.

Glad you don’t face the same issue anymore.

1 Like

This is not a small a small issue. Its no coincidence that A LOT of people started having this problem at the same time. This is a game breaking bug and there has been no response from Blizzard. So yes, people are getting frustrated and irritated.

2 Likes