Rendering Device Has Been Lost. Application Closing!

I’m very very mad, so I’m going to do my best to keep this clean. A while back Overwatch started doing this thing. It would freeze, crash, then a window would appear that states, “Rendering Device Has Been Lost. Application Closing!”. And I would have to Alt+F4 then relaunch only for it to do it again, and again, and again. So I found a fix where I had to revert my graphics card drivers to an older update to fix it. It stopped the crashing sure, but settings in all my other games were screwed up and Overwatch started having extremely high ping. Now, it’s began crashing again. Doing the same thing. I try to power through it and keep playing but now I have a 75% XP reduction even though this is in no my fault and I’m being disciplined for it. I have seen no official fix and now I have no reason to play the game anymore because I can’t get boxes. Please help.

3 Likes

Have you checked this standard guide that is stickied at the top of this forum yet?

If nothing helps, please post details about your system by sharing a DxDiag file:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.
  5. Open the file in Windows Notepad, then press Ctrl+A to select all text, then Ctrl+C to copy all text to the clipboard.
  6. Start a new reply, and type two sets of four squiggly lines and then place the cursor in between and press Ctrl+V to paste the Contents in a code block. Example:

~~~~
Paste your DxDiag File Here
~~~~

Even if something in here works I would still like my 75% experience deduction to be lifted. It’s not like I was abandoning the games.

This is not possible, however if it is only the experience penalty, playing any game mode will work towards removing it quickly. I recommend faster game modes in the arcade like Deathmatch or Elimination game modes to resolve this.

I’ll go into 3v3’s and throw 9 times.

Aqua,

Doing that is most likely just going to get you reported and penalized. If you’re having this problem, you can create 6v6 custom games with bots and practice headshots or something to test the issue. I understand that this is upsetting, but ruining others’ play experience because of a technical issue is not going to solve the core problem any quicker.

The error message you are receiving is a windows level error code. It detects your graphics drivers going into a panic and crashes the GPU to stop your entire PC from crashing/potentially being damaged.

We aren’t aware of any game bugs causing this issue currently. If you want this handled, you’ll need to troubleshoot it. I see that you’re on an AMD card and you’re getting a generic crash error. It’s possible you’re still on an old buggy driver that AMD has since fixed. Are your drivers currently up to date after following the information in that link?

1 Like

I read this just now, and I regret to inform you I already threw nine 3v3’s and it went fine. I was not aware it could get me in trouble and I’ll do what you suggested should this ever occur again. Additionally, I updated my drivers using the website and have not crashed since and am now a very happy customer. Thank you for the reply.