Removing phone numbers is the DUMBEST decision

That actually would’ve been a perfect solution. it would even reducing smurfing/alting in the end because majority of them would all be throwing each others games

2 Likes

You just said two things at once. Are they hardstuck because they’re bad, or can they become ‘hardstuck at a higher rank’ by “rerolling”? I don’t think both can coexist.

1 Like

To be fair it does take several dozen matches, and then when/if they do, they will just get another account lmao.

2 Likes

???

How on earth are you supposed to reliably discern between a brand new, terrible player and a player that is deranking?

2 Likes

The community: “need to verify phone numbers to play ow2? so dumb”

Blizzard: “we are removing phone number requirements for ow1 players”

Also community: “blizzard removing phone number verification for ow1 players is the dumbest decision.”

Smh🙄

2 Likes

Did many of you even read the post about this?

They are only removing the requirement for those accounts that have been linked to battle net with OW1 in the past year and a few months.

THAT’S IT. Anyone getting a new account in OW2, or that didn’t link their console version to battle net before the upgrade still requires an SMS enabled.

3 Likes

People dont read, they see bits and pieces of it and get mad.

1 Like

If they can train a ML system tell whether I’m being toxic or not, they can train one to tell the difference between a bad player and a thrower.

Just sad is all. Anger when they don’t even have the right information. Not that Blizzard has been particularly great about providing said info in a timely fashion… Or clearly.

2 Likes

True they dont always do, but people tend to get mad over some news without knowing all the info.

1 Like

Holy crap, you and I actually agree on something, I thought hell would freeze over before that happened. Wow. Lol

Edit:

Like, I’m not going to sit here and say that it’s good to have 30 more Smurfs in the game (or 30 still in the game). But like you said, the number is finite, and assuming they are good at their job, they can weed those out. And if it means that players who already bought and supported this game back in the day can play? I’m all for the change.

1 Like

You had it right before you edited it. Some get mad even when they do have the right info. LOL

2 Likes

Lol, lets agree people will always be mad lol

1 Like

Yep.

Smurfs are what drove me away from Overwatch.

The promise of drastically reducing smurf numbers through requiring a phone number was what brought me back for Overwatch 2.

Now they’re letting the smurfs back in so it seems my time with Overwatch 2 will be very limited indeed (if I can even ever get in to play as I’ve still not been able to login since launch!)

How can it be small yet a majority? :thinking:

3 Likes

It’s cutting into their profit. Tons of people that play either dont have phones, have shared phones (families/children)or have phones but they are not compatible with the system blizzard is using. I heard that a lot of people that use cricket for the provider are not being allowed to use their phones.

Blizzard is going to put them making money above anything else

Even just 5% of your playerbase being literally unable to play your game is such a massively greater issue than smurfing.

3 Likes
Allowing people to play the game should always be the priority over any other system. This update applies to accounts already made prior to Overwatch 2's launch, so all smurfs will eventually be banned, it will just take some time.
1 Like

Did you bother to read my post? I’ll copy and paste the issue, because i’m not retyping it:
Console players have literally infinite accounts. If you made 30 Overwatch accounts on console before the cut off date, then you will have 30 accounts that can be used for smurfing without 2FA.

1 Like

Have I spoken to you before? :thinking: Well glad we agree on something. :slight_smile:

Exactly. The good apples get to play and the ‘bad actors’ (as Blizz puts it) will eventually burn through their greenlit accounts.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives on this one :slight_smile:

2 Likes