Removing phone numbers is the DUMBEST decision

What happened? Is there a link to this news?

F2P games dont require xbox gold to play them anymore

1 Like

It affected a lot more people than they thought it would. No use in claiming a “small majority” when we know that just in the US, MetroPCS and Cricket have a combined 30 million subscribers, and their phone numbers were barred. Who knows how many others, or people that switched from Cricket or MetroPCS, or people with recycled numbers, there were. Also entire countries with pre-paid. US is one of the few that has a post-paid majority of cell phone users. I didn’t think they would kill the whole thing, but it was obvious they would do something about it.

7 Likes

My bet is that every time OP loses, it is everyone on his teams fault, and also the enemy team’s fault for smurfing, and he made nothing but perfect plays.

7 Likes

Or people who had a prepaid number before swapping to a postpaid contract.

1 Like

Yeah, I mentioned that. Even if you didn’t switch or swap, if someone used that number before on Cricket or one of the providers that are barred, and it was recycled and given to you, you still couldn’t play.

2 Likes

Bet you wouldn’t say that if it had affected you :sunglasses:

6 Likes

but no one is buying the game now. Did you not notice it’s free to play now?

1 Like

They are making it so people, like me, who connected their battlenet to ow1 will actually be able to play without needing a phone number

1 Like

That actually would’ve been a perfect solution. it would even reducing smurfing/alting in the end because majority of them would all be throwing each others games

2 Likes

You just said two things at once. Are they hardstuck because they’re bad, or can they become ‘hardstuck at a higher rank’ by “rerolling”? I don’t think both can coexist.

1 Like

To be fair it does take several dozen matches, and then when/if they do, they will just get another account lmao.

2 Likes

???

How on earth are you supposed to reliably discern between a brand new, terrible player and a player that is deranking?

2 Likes

The community: “need to verify phone numbers to play ow2? so dumb”

Blizzard: “we are removing phone number requirements for ow1 players”

Also community: “blizzard removing phone number verification for ow1 players is the dumbest decision.”

Smh🙄

2 Likes

Did many of you even read the post about this?

They are only removing the requirement for those accounts that have been linked to battle net with OW1 in the past year and a few months.

THAT’S IT. Anyone getting a new account in OW2, or that didn’t link their console version to battle net before the upgrade still requires an SMS enabled.

3 Likes

People dont read, they see bits and pieces of it and get mad.

1 Like

If they can train a ML system tell whether I’m being toxic or not, they can train one to tell the difference between a bad player and a thrower.

Just sad is all. Anger when they don’t even have the right information. Not that Blizzard has been particularly great about providing said info in a timely fashion… Or clearly.

2 Likes

True they dont always do, but people tend to get mad over some news without knowing all the info.

1 Like

Holy crap, you and I actually agree on something, I thought hell would freeze over before that happened. Wow. Lol

Edit:

Like, I’m not going to sit here and say that it’s good to have 30 more Smurfs in the game (or 30 still in the game). But like you said, the number is finite, and assuming they are good at their job, they can weed those out. And if it means that players who already bought and supported this game back in the day can play? I’m all for the change.

1 Like