Remove Private Profiles?

I’m 600 hours into comp. I care because I want to know what they’re comfortable with, even if they’re unable to communicate for whatever reason. For example; if a player is on Mei and I’m on Zarya, I can look for another hero in their playtimes and suggest it for a synergy. I care because I don’t want to throw a game because of my teammate playing a hero that doesn’t work, and not bother trying to fix the comp.

You’ll get that either way. The toxicity is still present no matter what solution you find. You can’t win a war of “fixing the game’s community,” as the community came from LOL, one of the most horrible playerbases in gaming history.
What private profiles did was just change what players said. It went from “boosted Mercy main” to “trash player.”

There is no difference.

1 Like

endorsements cut abuse? im more “toxic” than ever and im still rolling in sportsmanship endorsements.

First off, role queue didn’t necessarily stop the force pick problem. It stopped a forced role problem, nothing more. If I have 100 hours on Mercy but feel like playing, say, Zen for a change, people are still capable of expecting or outright telling me to go Mercy, even if that’s not who I want to play.

Secondly, don’t get it wrong. The toxicity is still there. If they see a Mercy main playing Widow, they’re still going to complain that they “have a Mercy main throwing on Widow” just like they did before. And before it’s brought up, no, role SR doesn’t change that. People will just say that the Mercy main got their DPS placed close to their main support SR because of a borked system and have to fall down to where they belong on DPS.

Besides, not like any of it matters, because you already are in comms, just talk to your team to see what they want to pick. And if your teammates aren’t in chat, then you have bigger issues than just what hero they want to play.

1 Like

i think the profile should be reworked completely

… give it more structure, new filters and add new options like selecting heroes you like playing and bring back hover over profiles.

1 Like

Preferred heroes instead of stats on the left for example. More options and/or limitations into what players can and cannot see. Not “yes or no” to player’s ability to view what they see.

[Post edited by Forum Moderator to remove toxicity.]

“Disruptive behaviour” dropped 40 per cent after Overwatch introduced endorsemen | PC Games Insider.

26% of that was from endorsements according to Kaplan.

1 Like

Makes sense but aren’t winrates hidden already outside of 3rd party sites

No it wouldn’t because if they play enough their role skill will adjust to be accurate.

My problem is, Venus, these aren’t stats that are kept up to date. Role queue has reworked the playerbase a fair bit; old players are back, some are gone, some stayed.

Besides, after 6 months, chances are people are less “afraid” of Overwatch’s updated punishment systems. I’ve been playing for 4 years and have never been warned or punished.

So you improve upon existing systems, you don’t undo something that has been working.

That’s a massive decrease in toxicity. We don’t need that back.

Like SR has ever stopped people from blaming their team mates?

The simple fact is the majority of people feel like they don’t belong where they are and looking at people’s profiles to try to place blame is just a crappy coping mechanism for them.

If they were not talking to you, they aren’t talking to you. You can’t make them talk private profile or no. In order for a public profile to be useful in the first place, they have to be willing to coordinate with you.

4 Likes

Hence a suggestion further up the topic, reworking the profile page.

I believe that removing PRIVATE profiles is worth doing, but as a softener to the blow, give players a menu to adjust what players see on their profiles.
Sure they have the chance to set everything as private, and that’d be fine, but there have been numerous suggestions from plat to pro, to allow players to adjust what is seen.

For example:
-A list of preferred heroes.
-The ability to block what people see in terms of play times. For example, they could be only able to see the hours of the gamemode they’re playing; comp, qp, arcade, etc.
-Advanced stats tab. Players have a list of winrates, accuracy stats, etc etc, that they themselves can view, alongside others given the chance. I know this is already in the game, but a specific tab with relevant info instead of a cluster of numbers.

Holy crap you’ve played since before the open beta?

Jokes asides it’s only a matter of time before blizzard does something stupid again, private profiles was a smart move for a lazy company as it killed a lot of fuel for the trolls the refuse to do anything about.

I get it it sucks when theres 2 level 500 in a game and one is obviously a pro and the other average so it sucks not knowing beforehand whether i’m going to get an actual fair match or get steam rolled by this games over reliance on RNG matchmaking. But I got so sick of wasting time blocking trolls from spamming the chat with toxic crap claiming to be a better widow, while dying to a near death roadhog.

And what would be done for those of us who feel our histories, in any degree, are nobody’s business?

Removing private profiles shouldn’t be a thing because they work and did the job. Any tweaks should be coming from the place that profiles are private by default.

3 Likes

I turned up just before the first summer games event. 3, 4 years… I lost track. xD

This is a fake argument. If they cant communicate (dont use chat dont join VC) then you saying something means nothing.
You can suggest synergies with your hero without seeing other players profiles, people do it all the time, tell them a few heroes from the role that you think would work well and ask if they are comfortable on those heroes. You dont need to try and micromanage people. If they dont, then you swap to work well with them. Easy.

not true. Toxicity exists sure and it probably always will to some extent. Private profiles however stop the endless arguments over win rates, hours, and other random stats, where eventually the team is looking at each others profiles trying to find something to prove whos better and completely derailing the match. Its not the same thing, and it removes a huge part of very constant annoying toxicity in the game, where after almost 3 years no one really has time to look at everyones full profile and get proper info needed to help make a team at the start of the game. You get more things done by just communicating with your team.

Theres a lot of difference.

4 Likes

Hence why a rework is in order.
I did roughly discuss it in this thread, and will most likely make a 2nd asking for suggestions, as you and Venus are right: removing the feature entirely will bring back toxicity, but reWORKING would be the solution.

I just, hate staring at that grey screen.

1 Like

All they need to do is make it so you can see that their profile is private before you even click on it so you don’t waste time

2 Likes