Remove Overwatch League

I believe that the developers are spending way TOO much time Overwatch League instead of focusing on the main player-base of the game. The player-base of this game is dying, and ignoring it won’t help it.

Haven’t you noticed the recent nerfs/buffs that aren’t necessary? Buffing heroes such as reaper to ‘improve’ the quality of entertainment & diversity of game-play, so that GOATS isn’t used as much. This just ruins the game, buffing heroes that clearly didn’t need any, and overall adding to the problem of ‘low skill = high reward’. They’ve really spent less time on the actual game, and instead more on Overwatch league. Is it really that important? I don’t see how this will help with the toxicity or the ranked problems.

I think the Overwatch team should focus less on just the higher ranked players and more on the game. The events are getting less and less exciting every time and the skins are getting more disappointing.

Forum Moderator Note: As a reminder, we encourage constructive conversations around feedback and suggestions. When a post breaks the Code of Conduct, it can lead to temporary forum restrictions. This post was edited to remove unnecessary comments that had no place or use in the conversation.

51 Likes

You think they’d remove their cashcow?

Its the only thing to fall back on since they dont make any meaningful content for events anymore, reducing incentive to buy lootboxes.

I’d personally love to see OWL burn away, but I know that wont happen; they’ve dug themselves too deep into it.

19 Likes

ive said it a million times on this forum, and you think that the forum goers would understand it by now.

The OWL dev team and the OW dev team are entirely separate, with separate budgets, team leads, and goals.

63 Likes

What if I slip Jeff 20 roses?

This. Exactly this.

9 Likes

As much as I want this to be true, it doesn’t explain the lack of updates. Their ‘social feature’ they’ve been working on has been way too long and let’s not talk about their useless role select that ruins the game.

8 Likes

lol nope. Not gonna happen with $20 million plus investments from each team owner

3 Likes

okay well, the game is going to keep dying, if that’s what they like to see

4 Likes

Boy do I have good news for you, it is! You not liking how the development of the game is going doesn’t change the fact that the current state of OW has nothing to do with OWL.

18 Likes

I do think you have the right to your opinion and I do agree, OW has been doing updates mainly bc of OWL in order to counter goats!

2 Likes

No, I happen to like it. I’ve learned from watching it, and putting that into practice has made the game more fun overall.

7 Likes

I don’t think you’re acknowledging that they’re investing a lot of money into Overwatch League which slows down the rate of updates of the game.

2 Likes

There are a lot of people who think like you tony and I do agree as well. This video really explains your thought as well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfUhOtpmSOE

1 Like

Well Jessica, I think you’re one of the rare people that don’t watch it for the Overwatch league tokens.

3 Likes

OWL generates its own revenue. it has many multi million dollar partnerships, Tmobile, Toyota, Sour Patch Kids, Omen etc.

it gets revenue from being aired on ESPN and Disney XD

Millions in merch, tickets, and concessions.

teams paying 2 million each minimum to get into the league

In the first year alone OWL made more overall on its own, than the game did selling copies.

They aren’t investing money into OWL. OWL is literally the reason they can still fund OW the game.

24 Likes

Okay let’s see if that lasts.

In one of their videos talking with press, I believe, they clearly stated that resources from team 4 had been diverted into working on OWL. Now, this might not still be the case but then again it could be. There does seem to be a strong emphasis on making OWL a ‘success’ (at least to the eyes of the investors and sponsors), including developing features like the viewer thing a while back which appear to be for OWL and not of benefit to the actual core game at this time.

Most of the events in the game are now repeated with just a few new cosmetics, last year Summer Games was replaced half way through by OWL cosmetics being advertised. This so called second social feature that was supposed to release last year is still unknown and remains top secret, but has been significantly delayed. Some of the balancing changes and/or reworks have been questionable, particularly as it does feel as if some of them were suited to potentially improving the viewing experience and entertainment factor of OWL and not necessarily about the actual players who paid to play Overwatch.

3 Likes

3 years ago, when the game first launched, and nobody even knew OWL was coming, and people were still saying that OW was the second coming of Christ. this story has been misrepresented so many times its hilarious. This “diversion of assets” didn’t do anything to the game. it does not affect the game currently, and didn’t affect it when it happened. it is not the case because blizzard has clearly stated they have 2 entirely different development teams to avoid this happening again.

12 Likes

because it really wasnt needed…

The people who run the OWL are owned by the same people who develop the game. Their goals are indirectly linked. Not only that, but all of the tech required to interface with the game to provide us with the league is, probably, directly implemented or consulted with by the dev team. You can’t just take a completely new team, give them overwatch’s codebase, and say “here make this tournament feature” - that isn’t how development works. It requires a lot of planning and communication between the parties. Examples of features like this include:

• Spectator enhancements (top down views, minimaps)
  • Replays
  • Tournament clients
  • Tournament patch schedules
  • World cup viewer
    All of those are examples of features that would absolutely require help from the core development team, or at the very least, the people who are responsible for project management. That ties up a lot of development resources.

I can’t speak on the budget part.

5 Likes