"Remember Username" feature in login screen

Years of overwatch have passed and this simple feature has yet to exist in the game.

Sure. With the Battle.net launcher, the login feature has been decoupled from overwatch itself. But when one is disconnected, the overwatch-specific login screen is shown and it is necessary to rewrite both email and password every single time you try to reconnect.

When a disconnection happens in the middle of a match, this takes a few precious seconds that could make it faster for people to get back into the game. It is not a HUGE issue, but it does seem like a low hanging fruit in terms of feature.

Easy to implement with positive quality of life impact.

Any opinions on this? Why doesn’t overwatch have a “remember username” feature on its login screen?

2 Likes

Uhm… for me it saves my email =\

Every time I exit bnet and relaunch it still has my email filled out. You can also check the “keep me logged in” box…

You seem to be talking about bnet. Not the overwatch application. The overwatch application has a huge overwatch logo in a blue background.

So you have the option to “exit to desktop” and then relaunch, right?

1 Like

I agree. I’ve always wondered why that happens and thought it’s a setting somewhere on my PC.

Instead you have to relaunch through Bnet.

It would cut time to get back in-game if the application saved your credentials; you just hit “login” as opposed to having to close down the application and re-launch it through Bnet.

1 Like

Yes.

I have to either exit to desktop and relauch through battlenet.
Or stay at the overwatch application login screen, that doesnt have the “remember username/stay logged in” feature.

1 Like

Ahhh I see what you are talking about now.

Yeah, it would save time to have it just keep your credentials. But unfortunately, that would require Overwatch to store them, which is a security concern.

I understand, I was asking them to ensure I knew what they were talking about.

Even though it would cut time, it is a valid security concern to store username and password information. This is probably why they don’t, and if that is the reason why, then I doubt they will implement a “save login info” option at that screen.

I fail to see the security part, since you have to launch the game through Bnet first, meaning you’d need the username & password to even access that account in the first place. Without it, it’d just be blank. Know what I mean?

From my very immature knowledge of how it works, the bnet application saves a “key” which has your login credentials. If you are disconnected from the servers, I imagine this “key” is deleted, therefore, the credentials are gone, which is why you have to relaunch through bnet. I am assuming these keys are deleted to ensure no data breeches occur… Which is why it is security issue.

But like I said… that’s probably a very simple way of putting it. I don’t know much else about the security side of things =\

I don’t see the security issue either, as it is an already working feature for the battle net client and for other titles such as WoW and Starcraft II

Please add this
There’s nothing worse than losing connection for a second during a competitive match and then needing to spend an extra 30 seconds typing in your email address and password before you can get it