Regarding Mercy so called spam

I would, but what should i do, post the exact same comment in each and every thread regarding Mercy? Wouldn’t that be actual spam? Can you see what i mean by this behaviour being unpractical?

I am sure the number of comments and likes reflect that better than the number of threads.

Oh, allow me to apologize then if I have misunderstood your message. Are you saying then that your thread is targeted on anyone who makes a mercy thread? Yours included? Or are you singling out Mercy mains specifically? Maybe I was a bit confused :slight_smile:

Then I am confused as to why you had the need to make, yet another mercy post? Who is the audience that you are referring to then in this thread? Where does this “mercy spam” come from? Are you saying everyone including yourself is doing it? Or are you saying that Mercy mains are doing it? I’m having trouble as to what constitutes as “Mercy spam” and what constitutes as “Mercy feedback” so do feel free to clarify on that as well what your definition of that would be in this case.

That’s fine. Do you have a source that lists every single Mercy thread ever made in this forum to deduce that most of them are about a revert? Or instead, how about just from the top page?

From what Titanium posted, can you point out to me which of these topics are asking for a revert?

Otherwise I’m sorry, but the claim that “most mercy threads are revert threads” is a fallacy. :blush:

Oh you would like some quotes? Well, if you insist.

Undermining Opinions?

Personal attacks?

Making subjective claims as if they are fact?

Would you rather me stop now or shall I continue? I could include posts you’ve made outside of this thread as well, if you wish to have any more verification for my claims of your actions in this context. Is that what you would want? :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

3 Likes

Why doesn’t every hero have a thread? Why does it have to be JUST Mercy. I’m tired of seeing nerf Brigitte threads and Symmetras left click beam sucks. Do I complain about them? No I just don’t click into them and bump threads that matter to me.

Just an FYI Mercy has had 10 Megathread all consisting of 20000 comments. So about 200000 comments in total. But Mercy is fine right?

2 Likes

Let’s not ask why there are so many Mercy threads

Let’s ask why 27 other heroes worth of mains can’t make enough threads to outshine 1 heroes worth of mains ? Could it be that people care more about that one hero, and the things they’ve gone through than the 27 ? Could it be possible that the 27 need to put in more effort, if they feel so strongly about having threads about their heroes up ?

6 Likes

Mercy threads on the forums are both numerous and varied. They are numerous because it’s a subject many people want to talk about, and varied because each individual person wants to approach the conversation from a different angle. They deserve to be separate threads, because the direction of conversation in each thread is often entirely different from its peers on the forum index.

People who are calling Mercy threads “spam” are generally disinterested in the hero as a whole, and do not care for the details of the conversation. I completely understand that mindset, but what I don’t understand is then spending the effort to go into each Mercy thread and leave generic negative comments without reading the OP as so many upset about the “spam” are wont to do.

The separate Mercy threads are necessary for a number of reasons, but the most important reasons why we need separate threads are:

• It’s too hard to have constructive conversation in a megathread. It becomes a dumping ground for posts that nobody will ever have the patience to read through.
  • New rework/change ideas deserve their own thread for discussion. Each single idea to change Mercy is just one post that requires many responses. The format of a dedicated thread helps organize this type of content.
  • Old threads need to die. While some threads are kept alive for a long time, threads in which conversation has ceased for an extended period of time should not be pulled back to the front page when someone else wants to start up that same conversation again. That’s commonly referred to as “necroing” a thread, and is actually a violation of forum policies if I’m remembering correctly.

If you don’t want to see Mercy topics in the general forums, there are solutions to the problem you perceive… but silencing or interfering with constructive threads is not the answer. A separate forum category for each hero would be one reasonable way to go about things, which would keep all the Mercy talk contained within one category where people who don’t want to look at it never have to. Ultimately, though, the preferable solution to the problem would be for the developers to fix Mercy.

If Blizzard never reworked Mercy, we wouldn’t have Mercy threads all over the forums. Mercy players wouldn’t be so rightly upset with the state of the character. Other players wouldn’t be so rightly upset with how powerful Mercy was right after her rework. This is a problem that Blizzard cannot fix by policing the forums. The problems on the forums are only symptoms of the real problem: the design decisions made in the game itself.

Fixing Mercy in-game will fix the forum community problem that Blizzard created with the rework. Blizzard is at fault for Mercy’s problems, not the players, and not the players who use the forums. It is Blizzard’s mistake to admit, and the first step of that admission needs to be a full revert to Mercy’s pre-valkyrie state. It doesn’t have to stop there. Some minor changes could be perfectly acceptable, but it was absolutely a mistake for Blizzard to completely rework the core kit of a hero who was well-received among a majority of the community, and that mistake must be undone first.

If you don’t want to see any more Mercy threads, you have two practical choices to help solve the problem yourself: either ask the forum moderators / community managers for separate forum categories appropriate for such discussion (NOT megathreads), or join the cause to get Mercy fixed. Solve the real problem, and the symptoms will go away.

4 Likes

I mean, attacking myself truly counts?

Where did i attacked you there? You are in fact lying. Harras you? That’s a bold claim! Putting smiley faces near words like tribalism is truly condescending to the person you are replying to. I did the same thing in an ironic way for you to see how bad it looks, maybe you would stop.

The other questions are so vague. I only critiqued the post and the threads themselves and not the people. In not one of your quotes i have been reffering to someone and i have been only reffering to the behaviour.

Please continue to portray me as an attacker. Most of my posts are impersonal as the intention is not to critique the person or the group, but their actions. If you take offence in that it’s only your problem.

It’s funny that most of the things you underlined need context. For example, the broader definition of spam i was refferencing the fact that spamy posts are also duplicated and sent to multiple people and that’s why some people might call these posts spam as it did not fall into the category of spam the person i replied to presented.

I don’t know if I ever presented anything I said as pure truth or objective reality. That’s how i see those threads. Barely any progress has been made regarding some disscusion about Mercy. I (me and no one else) see repeating arguments everytime in these disscusions.

You are in fact starting “wars” by making accusations with no actual proofs.

I consider Mercy fixed, maybe a buff to 55 healing is the last thing to consider.

Yes Mega-threads. That’s how i would condense these disscusions, not a separate forum.

We’ll need more than just a ‘Mercy’ category. That would be no different to how the original megathreads worked otherwise, a means to ignore all Mercy discussion. There should be a category for each role ideally.

1 Like

Then you are in favor of what is effectively censorship. You can’t prevent people from saying things, but you can prevent their valuable message from reaching a wide audience, which is exactly what the megathreads accomplish by lumping all the well thought out constructive posts in with all the generic one-line complaints at the same level.

1 Like

I don’t see it as censorship.

Honestly, theres more “OMG why is there Mercy theads” than actual Mercy threads.

At least when it comes to the latter, they actually discuss something regarding the hero balance.

3 Likes

I mean this is general discussion, Lol where else would people put their feedback on a hero at? Don’t blame the so call “Mercy Mains” when I have seen just as many complain threads as Mercy as with Doomfist, Brigitte, Sombra, Bastion etc.

1 Like

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or “inconvenient” as determined by a government or private institution

From Wikipedia. Emphasis mine.

Blizzard suppressing forum users speaking out about Mercy by lumping them into a single thread is censorship. It suppresses this form of public communication by intentionally reducing the number of people who would otherwise see it, regardless of whether or not they are looking for that kind of conversation.

A separate forum category would not be censorship, because it would not interfere with a person’s ability to find that kind of discussion if they want to see it the way that the megathreads do. If anything, it would help people find conversation who actually want to read it and add something constructive.

2 Likes

But everyone can go on a megathread and the replies are not removed, just moved to this megathread so I still don’t see how is it censorship given the definition you provided.

It’s censorship because it makes it extremely difficult and time-consuming for anyone to find and read the conversation they actually want to see.

You think having a few Mercy threads on the front page every day is bad?

Try reading content you want to see when 95% or more of the text presented to you on-screen is repetitive, irrelevant, or just otherwise unhelpful to the conversation. The megathreads got the reputation of being trash bins for a good reason. It was the place good conversation went to die, because it’s impossible to have a meaningfully deep conversation with a hundred other people with totally different ideas and conversations in the same channel.

But is anyone, especially a dev or mod, gonna bother reading a 15k full of posts instead of a a new thread with a specific title with less than 100 posts in it.

2 Likes

But that’s the thing, which thread when there are multiple threads?

Lets see a 15k posts that has a generic title thats been there for almost a year, or a new topic that has something that bit my curiousity.

They can read the first line of the thread and make their judgement.

1 Like

Is this a good way to disreagrd some threads? The most anti-disscusion posts are “I stopped reading at…” because you didn’t even want to hear the other person opinion.

I didn’t blamed anyone. I explained why some people might see this as spam and in other posts why this is not so practical.

1 Like