Regarding Blizzard's comment on third-party applications

Continuing the discussion from Unauthorized Third-party Software:

I want to make a case for Pursuit, as a long time user of this game, I feel Blizzard has wronged the community and especially the developers by taking this hard stance. I understand that you wish to make a blanket statement disallowing any program that has any level of interaction with the game, as it is easiest for the developers.

Everything listed here 100% describes the functionality of Visor.
The fact is, Pursuit falls under none of these categories. Furthermore, when reading the EULA, you can clearly see after having used Pursuit even once, that nothing Pursuit does breaches the terms of the EULA. It does not automate any facet of the game, be it through gameplay or what is shown to the player. It does not interfere with the game at all. It does not provide any sort of unfair advantage to the user. It simply uses a recording process to collect and filter stats, and shows them to the player outside of the game if they choose to view them. What the player does with these stats is in their hands, whether they want to use them as tools to improve their own play through their own hard work, or using them as a point of reference to compare with others. Simply having stats available does not make you a better player, but they can help one improve their play by acting as a sort of coach.
Once again, this does NOT automate any facet of the game. What this does automate, is coaching from another human being, and vod reviewing. Both of these things are not an aspect of the Overwatch client. There is no way to record and replay entire matches in Overwatch, and there is no social function that assigns a coach to a player. Even if there was, using a recording program such as OBS or Shadowplay would still be an option for players wishing to record their gameplay. Will players get banned for using these types of recording software?

I wanted to make this case, so I could use it as grounds for appealing to the Overwatch team and Blizzard. Please allow the use of Pursuit, and sponsor it so it becomes more easily accessible for anyone playing the game. It is a valuable tool that takes a lot of vod reviewing work out of the hands of the player, and helps them learn to assess their own gameplay better. It does not automate anything, and it does not provide an inherent unfair advantage. One could easily argue that if Pursuit gives an unfair advantage, so does recording your matches and reviewing them.

Thank you for reading.

13 Likes

Amen. Don’t know how this isn’t more of a discussion!

Even Visor, although it would provide tips, didn’t surface anything a user didn’t already have access to.

The underlying point of these applications, however, is to provide a means of feedback that allows players to improve. If Blizzard isn’t planning on addressing that aspect, then the real disservice is to those players who are actively using tools like this to improve their play.

1 Like