Now Reaper is not unplayable, no hero is. Every hero has a place where they can shine (for Reaper it’s usually not comp though)
But he should be buffed, and buffed greatly. If not a buff then a rework to 2/3rds or more of his abilities.
Here are the reasons each of his abilities should receive changes ranked from most needed to least needed. *(In my opinion, but I think everyone agrees with #1)
#1- Shadow Step
Personally I think this should get replaced. With either an armor piercing round or some sort of grenade, smoke or damage. (My personal take on Reaper is he can’t survive without range or speed, and he lacks both)
- It is the slowest ability in the game at 2.5 seconds
- It’s very clunky and inconsistent with TP locations, especially with slight angles and fences
- Unbelievably detectable, both sound and by red smoke
Practically unusable in and near combat. Any enemy knows a TP-ing Reaper is a free kill.
- Using it to escape combat=extremely risky
- Using it to enter combat=100% suicide
- Using it to set up somewhere far away=good, but very niche uses
I know ShadowStep isn’t useless, nothing in this game is. But Reaper is the only hero with one combat ability, being wraith form. He is immediately put at a disadvantage to every other hero. ShadowStep is too niche and too risky to stay the way it is, and it has been this way for over 2.5 years.
#2- Hellfire Shotguns
Disadvantages: ~10m falloff, high spread, 1/2dmg to armor,
They’re pretty much the perfect portrait of “gimmick” they have damage and nothing else. Yes Reaper is close-range, but his design is way too simple, and the main culprit are these guns. It’s braindead.
“Get close, and do big hurt” If these guns don’t get buffed his abilities need to. He lacks the tools to survive anywhere outside of Reinhardt’s range.
#3- Death Blossom
I sometimes like to imagine how this Ultimate was thought of.
“Ok so we have this ult that’s cancelled by any CC and has short range”
'So Reaper should avoid enemy fire and being near them right?
“Haha, nope. He surrounds himself with enemies”
- Less DPS than primary fire
- 8m of range (radius)
- Any knockback will get Reaper out of range
- Cancelled by CC
- Cannot kill majority of the tanks
Here's a list of every hero that can negate DeathBlossom w/ just abilites
10-Mei-Wall (And CC sorta but it’s rare)
#4- Wraith Form
Wraith needs buffs depending on how Reaper’s other abilities get changed. Currently it’s good but it’s Reaper’s only combat ability.
If ShadowStep remains a non-combat ability after changes, wraith needs work. Here’s some ideas.
- Remove delay upon activation
- Resource meter
- WallClimb on wraith
- Wraith makes Reaper’s smoke really low, like the cinematics.Reaper sinks to the floor (First person camera would remain normal though) makes Reaper harder to predict
#5- The Reaping
Again, this would need changes depending on how 1-4 would get changed. If Reaper’s shotguns are buffed this passive might need a nerf.
Currently the only idea I have is Soul Orbs are brought back for Death Blossom only. Because Reaper loses Heals per second when ulting as people die.
This ability is fine right now though.
Still not convinced? (or think “Reaper just got buffs, he’s ok now”)
Geoff Goodman and his team tried to buff Reaper (and Mei) to counter Triple Tank, or GOATS. And it failed. Reaper is currently at his all time low. The buffs didn’t do what Geoff had hoped.
Source: Overbuff pickrates, this month’s stats (PC)
- Bronze 2.15%
- Silver 2.43%
- Gold 2.29%
- Platinum 1.59%
- Diamond 0.79%
- Masters 0.34% (2nd lowest of all heroes)
- Grandmasters 0.09% (lowest picked hero)
Reaper is also 2nd lowest picked XB-GM and 1st lowest PS-GM.
- Seagull also said Reaper could use some help in the form of armor penetration.
- SpiritOW (#1 Reaper onetrick account who reached top 10 NA multiple times) quit playing Reaper temporarily because Reaper just work out form him anymore. He came back but if the #1 player can barely play this hero what does that say to you?
- Reaper has been out of meta since S2 and was only in S2 meta because of Ana’s ultimate, Reaper is not good enough to be a viable hero.
I can say with 100% confidence, Reaper is the single most underpowered/overshadowed/unviable hero in the game. He is in the most desperate need of a buff currently and should be buffed within the next 2 or 3 PTR cycles.
Hopefully Reaper can be fun for all ranks again and his time in F tier can end soon.