Really Getting Tired of "Rendering Device Lost"

I’ve made sure everything is updated and made sure with stuff like CPU-Z(and checked the motherboard website for the dates of the BIOS), but still the same regardless.

To be fair, at this point, I feel like it’s either something rather minor or my CPU is crappy(I’ve had a LOT of issues with this PC, not just Overwatch. Heck so much so I recently just formatted the whole Hard Drive(before I posted my Dxdiag here) and started everything fresh again to see if it would make things better…it kinda did, but I’m still running in the same issues).
Then again, I built my PC so I don’t know. Maybe I just need to get a newer GPU, but my current one works pretty well though…sigh…I don’t know.
I’m kinda considering to just save up for a new PC at this point(maybe with an Intel CPU because I thought trying Ryzen would be a good idea) unless I figure out what’s wrong.

Thanks for the help regardless. I really appreciate it!

this has been happening for way too long. game should not be affected by some random stuff and just react witta “not my job, reinstall everything or just give up”. sure, i’ll help you test new toons but i don’t wanna carry some nabs to win and then crash and not even be able to level for 3 games.

I’d just follow steps from some of the sites from a google search, because I have never used this software. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+disable+nahimic+sound+tracker

This wasn’t happening for a couple weeks, has happened 4 times in the last two days. Can’t play comp due to risk of game crashing… kinda sad it provides ZERO error codes / troubleshooting information.

Generally the operating system is responsible for producing the error message when a piece of hardware stops responding. “Rendering Device Lost” is that error message. Something is interrupting the signal between the GPU and the computer, like:

• Overheating/shutdown of GPU
  • Old drivers not cleaned out during new installs (with DDU)
  • Other software fighting for control of GPU
  • Recent updates to software (possibly done without your knowing) that include overlays that may interfere with Overwatch’s anti-cheating mechanisms

You can check the Windows Event Viewer under Windows system logs and see if anything besides the rendering device lost is being reported around the same time. It might help spot the issue.

Only thing in Event Viewer is Windows Logs / System: “Event 4101, Display”
“Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”

-Have plenty of cooling
-Drivers have been clean installed several times, this error has happened to varying levels of regularity since Overwatch Closed Beta.
-A clean OS install has been done during that time, happened both before and after.
-No overlays other than Nvidia Shadowplay, which shouldn’t need to be turned off to play a AAA title.

nVidia ShadowPlay does cause issues with Overwatch, despite personal feelings on the matter, you might try disabling it and seeing if it improves. Search results for 'shadowplay #technical-support' - Overwatch Forums

Sounds like something Blizzard should get on…

Also note, last crash GPU temp was 81C, far below anything that should cause a thermal crash.

When this is the only game it happens on, yes. Also don’t know if it’s Shadowplay causing it.

:fire: Should definitely look into that temp being so high. If you run it at that temp for long periods you could see permanent damage.

Under full load (Overwatch does cause the GPU to 100%), typical review temps of the GTX 770 are ~80C. Which is well below the rated max temp. It certainly is a warm card, but not “permanent damage” levels.
12/27
Just crashed at 75C Max session temp, which is perfectly reasonable. Pretty sure it’s not a temp crash.