Rank system makes no sense

Rank system in OW is one of the dumbest experiances in my life… why are we getting or losing points based on wins or losses of our team? Id be fine with that if it applied to premade groups but if we play with randoms shouldnt we be judged by our own performance…? As it is its not even us thats being judged but rather team as a whole and it simply makes no sense since its my rank not my teams rank…

12 Likes

It’s kind of difficult to explain, but I’ll try my best (someone correct me if I’m wrong)

Before you even begin playing ranked (the quick play games you play before hitting level 25), the game decides roughly what level of skill you’re at. For example, let’s say the game decides you are around the skill level of a 2500 sr player.

So, you do your placements and get put at 2500 sr.

When you play a competitive match (for example you are playing Tracer), if you win or lose the game will compare you statistics to the average statistics of other 2500 sr Tracer players. If you perform better than the average that game, you will receive more sr if you win.

However, if you lose, you will lose less sr.

It also works the opposite way, if you perform worse than the average and win, you won’t gain as much sr, and if you lose you would lose more sr.

Hope that hasn’t just confused you more, I tried my best haha

8 Likes

I never said that I do not understand rank system.

2 Likes

Your questions show the opposite.

7 Likes

yeah man you did kinda make it sound like it needed explaining, sorry

9 Likes

It’s true that it’s not your teams rank, though it’s still a team game.

If you’re able to work properly with your team and win the game then your SR goes up, simple as that.

Team game, not really made for solo play.

1 Like

It really is a joke… my friend is 4.3k peak and last season was 4000 SR in role queue and placed low diamond in open queue and then fell to 2700. On another account he’s diamond in role queue but masters in open queue. The same person is in 4 different ranks LMAO.

I’m masters in role and open queue so it works for me but obviously not a consistent system.

4 Likes

Sry if it came across that way, it was more about making a point on how judging a single player via win or loss of a team makes no sense.

1 Like

The title of your post LITERALLY says “rank system makes no sense.”

Not to mention, you don’t seem to know about the hidden MMR, which changes the amount of points you are given/lose, based on your personal performance.

2 Likes

Ronaldo being forced to play eith noob scrubs probably has same feeling but come on, team sport

1 Like

Thats how all team games are. People wouldnt call MJ the goat if he never won a finals. You have to win as a team as teamwork is a core aspect of the game. Teamwork isnt a measured stat but somebody who works with the team is objectively better than the player who doesnt even if the team player is worse mechanically

3 Likes

It does make sense if you bring statistics into the whole SR calculation.
Trying to calculate your skill only by your performance is not that simple (the hidden MMR is trying to do that).

Think of it that way: All that can go good/bad in your team, also can happen to the enemy team. Smurfs/throwers/players having good days/players having bad days
Even though it seems like it only happens to you, it happens on both sides and thus it evens out in the long run and doesn’t effect your SR.

Things that don’t even out are mainly your personal performance.
Your personal performance is there every game, it offsets the average occurrence of good/bad players on your/the enemy team and thus shifts your SR.

The most important thing is sample size.
If you only play like 3 games, then pretty much anything can happen.
(unless your SR is way off and you carry the game because of it)

TLDR: if you play enough games, your teams/enemies performance evens out and only your performance remains.

Im aware that everyone is in the same position, im arguining that position is idiotic.
As it is id have to put in ALOT of hours to advance with randoms because im more relying on not getting bad team then on my skill. That is not how rank system should work anywhere, luck should not be such a huge factor when your skill is being judged.
A player should be judged by his or hers performance, nothing else makes sense since were talking randoms here, a guy above made comparison with football… teams in football play for the win of the team, for teams rank… you wont say ronaldo won the championship, youll say real madrid won.
Here im saying I am gold not that my team is gold… its all about me chasing the rank and so I should be judged solely by what I do or dont do.

to make it short, they have no idea how to rate a single player based on their secret metrics. Just by looking at the metrics of a single player, the system cannot distinguish between 2700 SR and 3700 SR.
This is why guesses are made and a lot of testing is required.

2 Likes

How do they know the average stats?
Why don’t they share this information?
They claim they have all the information but they fail to prove it so I am calling their B.S.

3 Likes

you can make groups and join in before hand, make a few friends and go it m8.

2 Likes

I did make a few friends but sadly they stopped playing… and even when I do run into some nice team they always just leave before I can even send stay as a group inv… fing frustrating lol

theirs an in game grouping tool for things like this you know

1 Like

Tbh this is just another thread about “why does matchmaking suck and why am I paired up with bad teammates when I am obviously so much better than them”, but is actually wrapped up nicely where it does not give that vibe initially.

Your reasoning can be simply compared to “how come I am not getting a nice beef steak while being in a vegetarian restaurant”.

This game was promoted as a team game on release, where you will play in a team and your games will be teammbased, hence everything else. Your frustration comes from playing with people you do not deem worthy to be playing with you in the first place.

I do not deny your frustration in general, we al have it, irregardless of elo , but man you really are put with people in an elo you actually belong, whether you want to accept it or not.

I have read so many topics here from people who are so frustrated about the elo they are in, thinking that they belong higher, if I had any power and means I would give all of them a higher ranked account in respect to roles they are playing and would grab me some popcorn and watch them fail miserably at that higher rank.

How come no one ever gets any kind of enjoyment in destroying their enemy by actually improving and realizing what they need to do in order to own? Because it is easier to complain about the system and the smurfs than actually being a smurf themselves.

4 Likes

The rank systems has always been the biggest pos to overwatch competitive. you’re right in that it makes zero sense to be given sr solely based on a win or a loss for a team game where you have to rely on 5 other people. of course those with half a brain know this and those that don’t have that, well this is what you get.

1 Like