Random Hero Assigned at Loadout

n previous versions of Overwatch, if I were to pre-select a hero during the “Assemble Your Team” screen without locking it in, that hero would be automatically locked in and selected for me when time ran out. This no longer seems to be the case and a random hero is assigned to me instead. Is this an intended change or a bug?

Are you playing the 3v3 or 6v6 Elimination game mode? Your problem will occur if you won the previous round with that hero and it is now locked out. (The current elimination rule set locks out heroes that you have won with after each round.)

Yes, I am playing 3v3 Elimination. However, the issue still occurs when I hover a hero that has not been locked out.

Ah, it will default to the last hero you played or a random one if the previous is locked out. You must confirm the hero to change to specifically that hero.

In previous patches, the following hypothetical would take place. Ana is available for selection. She has not been played yet and therefore, is not locked out. I hover over Ana but do not select her. When time expires, the hero I’m hovering (Ana in this case) would be locked in and selected for me. As of the most recent patch, this scenario is no longer the case.