Random disconnection from games

1 out of every 5ish games I get kicked to the title screen, I rejoin, and then 2 mins after rejoining I am kicked to the login screen and have to reset my client.This has made comp play a nightmare. This started mid November 2019 for me. I have reset everything regarding my internet (I am not disconnected from anything else during this issue) and re-downloaded the game on a different SSD. Please help.

When creating a new thread about a connection issue, please include a WinMTR so members of the community can help you troubleshoot.

WinMTR instructions (click to expand/collapse)

Share your results in a reply:

1. Click the “Copy Text to clipboard” button after you’ve finished the test.
  2. Paste the text in a reply, highlight it, then click </> on the post editor.
  3. Break links by adding a space before .com/.net, so you can post them.

* Please do not remove full hostnames instead of adding spaces, as this makes troubleshooting much more difficult.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| homeportal - 0 | 845 | 845 | 0 | 0 | 5 | 0 |

| 10.99.238.161 - 0 | 845 | 845 | 1 | 1 | 8 | 1 |

| 172.20.211.82 - 30 | 393 | 279 | 37 | 46 | 80 | 52 |

| 172.20.192.194 - 0 | 845 | 845 | 37 | 44 | 89 | 41 |

| mobile-107-77-174-116.mobile.att .net - 4 | 747 | 721 | 39 | 48 | 105 | 65 |

| 12.83.186.161 - 5 | 731 | 701 | 39 | 51 | 98 | 68 |

| 12.83.186.145 - 5 | 712 | 678 | 41 | 52 | 95 | 54 |

| ggr6.cgcil.ip.att .net - 4 | 740 | 713 | 39 | 48 | 99 | 45 |

| 12.246.90.154 - 5 | 715 | 682 | 40 | 53 | 375 | 47 |

| ae1-br02-eqch2.as57976 .net - 4 | 735 | 708 | 41 | 71 | 2169 | 53 |

Are you using a hotspot or phone data to connect? These connections don’t meet the minimum system requirements because they generally don’t have the bandwidth to support the data needed for the game.

This test shows ATT’s mobile network losing 4% of your data, which is incredibly common for this type of connection.

I am using AT&T’s Fixed-Wireless Internet. This has never been an issue since I started playing OW in 2016. This issue started mid November 2019 and has continued to happen consistently since.

Hey, Gusgus! Thanks for the details :slight_smile: It looks like it is registering as a cellular connection. Neither Fixed Wireless (LoS) or mobile connections are supported as a connection type for Blizzard games.

The primary issue with Fixed Wireless is line-of-sight since little things like the wind blowing causing the trees to shadow or blocking the sight of the router/modem can cause issues like disconnections.

While the problem wasn’t happening for some time, connection routing or even ISP throttling can occur without notice that causes issues to randomly appear (or maybe a rogue tree in this situation). It is showing that there’s consistent loss after the peering node that Nicole mentioned. It’s recommended to contact AT&T with the connection test and address the peering node mentioned here.

I play other games besides OW and I do not have these issues. Can you shed some light on why it only occurs with OW?

Hey, Gusgus! Thanks for following up! Connection issues with specific games or services can occur because of the connection route that it takes. Other game services will have their own game server, which will take a different connection route than the route it takes to reach the Overwatch servers. This is one of most common reasons for why only one service or website will have issues while the internet connection and other games are fine.

Think of the WinMTR test as direction on how to get to the destination. Similar to how GPS will give directions to reach a destination. If something slowing or blocking traffic like construction or an accident, it try and find another route to the destination.

For connection issues, its not as simple as rerouting on your own to fully resolve the issue, but rather something that the Internet Service Provider will need to address. While it’s not supported, a VPN (Virtual Private Network) or alternative connection can reroute the connection as a workaround for the time being until the specific peer or connection is rerouted with AT&T.

In the WinMTR test, there’s consistent loss after the AT&T peering node here:

| mobile-107-77-174-116.mobile.att .net - **4** | 747 | 721 | 39 | 48 | 105 | 65 |

The Internet Service Provider (ISP) will want to be contacted with the connection test to check out what’s happening at this peer and see if the connection can be reroute or this node can be addressed about the packet loss.

With other games not experiencing the issue, it’s likely not the line-of-sight (LoS) issue with the fixed wireless since this usually impacts the connection itself. The description earlier about LoS is one of the reasons why LoS connections are not fully supported for Blizzard games, since it can become unstable by small things like a tree blowing in the wind. Sorry that wasn’t too clear, but hopefully this provides some information on where the problem is happening and how to address the problem with the ISP :slight_smile: