Question for Blizzards legal deperment how is the baptist combat medic skin even remotely legal?

Right but Overwatch is a commercial project. They are VERY VERY VERY much subject to laws, and since they are not making a political statement ON the nature of these symbols, they don’t get immunity.

That depends on your point of view I suppose.

I think having a person wearing a red cross who is a person you have to shoot to win is in pretty bad taste, and I think having games be more mindful about such things would have a very real impact on the attrition rates of medic’s in war zones, especially as more gamers become drone pilots.

As it IS ICRC has been throwing their weight around a bit, which is why a bunch of games has made the switch, so, it is being enforced, if somewhat in a spotty way.

1 Like

i mean…if you were famous enough, they might ask you to get it removed…maybe?..

I mean, are healthpacks a problem aswell then? They’ve had a red cross on them since the release of the game have they not?

It is the bit any design nearly resembling the red cross or red crescent emblems “as to be capable of being mistaken for, or understood as referring to, one of those emblems.

Which is the real kicker.

I personally would understand his symbol as referring to the red cross, and under the right conditions, I would ABSOLUTELY would be able to confuse it as being it.

The reasons it is given a wide definition is so that people can’t say “well, this obviously has a light blue background, and therefore isn’t the red cross” - while using vehicles to move troops around.

Sure as hell they didn’t want people saying “this isn’t red on white, this is red on a dusty beige” so obviously it was ok to shoot the vehicles.

It is given special legal protection because of this.

It is also you know… a bad look for Blizzard to be doing that at all. I suspect Blizzard hasn’t really put a lot of thought into it, which is the only reason they are still the way they are.

Blizzard is many things, but like, the kind of place which is wilfully going against stuff like this isn’t one of them.

no, because they aren’t a red cross on a white background…they…are exactly what baptiste’s case is, a red cross on a blue background

that’s my point, yes. if it was an actual problem i would assume it would have been addressed in the past 4 years.

it seems so random to bring up specifically the combat medic skin when this symbol has been in the game since release.

Which is covered by the convention as “as to be capable of being mistaken for, or understood as referring to, one of those emblems.”

Yep.

They have, which is WHY the other games have replaced them with a H or made them green…

i mean, most games simply replace the cross with an H or make it green or blue or something, and yea, if it was a problem…the Red Cross would have done something already

i mean…not really, if you picture, right now, in your head, the Red Cross Organization…its gonna be their red cross on a white background

now if you think of ye that is gonna heal me its either going to white on red, red on white, a cross of some color, of the letter H

He means they would have done something about it in Overwatch if it was a problem in Overwatch

I feel like the game is too popular for them to just have no idea it exists, especially when they have actioned other video games.

But kill people, as long as they are not wearing the red cross symbol, is ok…? :man_shrugging:t2:.

Oh god… No offence, but this sounds like a 4 dimensional way to that old “violence in game = violence in real life” thing… :man_facepalming:t2:.

2 Likes

also…you know
Military training drills it into recruits heads what they are meant to be firing at

Their enforcing it has been patchy, but they 100% HAVE gone after other developers for it.

Again, it has been spotty, but, like, the intention is pretty clear, and it is VERY MUCH unlike Blizzard to simple ignore it, if it came to their attention.

well there is 1 dev team that…just didnt care

Valve

You’re right, it is very unlike them to ignore something like this, which only leads me to believe that they’ve made sure they’re following the correct guidelines, especially considering it wouldn’t be the first time it had to be changed in a videogame.

go look at a Left 4 dead Medkit

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/left4dead/images/1/18/Medkit_1.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20090721223749

isn’t a war crime, yeah, mostly.

Well, I am just giving the red crosses point of view on this.

They are OK with their symbol being in a game, IF it is a lose condition to shoot at it.

Those changes happened after Overwatch came out. Red cross started making their position pretty damn clear, 2 years ago. POST overwatches release.

I don’t think they have really thought about it.

More than one person can be doing the wrong thing at once…

Shocking I know.

Blizzard is better than this. I just don’t think they have thought about it.

I mean it doesn’t matter as such, but it is still Blizzard doing the wrong thing here.

except valve never got in trouble
and blizzard’s is distinct enough, given how…you know YOU DIDNT BRING IT UP TILL NOW