Question about Reyes and McCree

Blackwatch was kept hidden from the world until the Venice incident, but then there’s this photo from Winston’s recall.

Did Reyes and McCree go on Overwatch missions as well? I can’t think of a reason the IJC would award them medals. The IJC created the Petras act and I’m sure the reveal of Blackwatch’s existence played a part in their decision to deem Overwatch activity illegal.

1 Like

I’ve heard there’s some inconsistencies with this picture, however: Blackwatch was only hidden from the public, not those who were aware of it. This was clearly meant to be way before things turned sour.

I’d like to think they only ruled Overwatch activity illegal because of Reyes killing Antonio, and therefor uncovering Blackwatch’s existence. From there on things really took a bad turn for both Overwatch and Blackwatch.

I might definitely be wrong, but I see no reason why Reyes wouldn’t be there getting medals.

2 Likes

Retribution was 8 years ago. Uprising (Tracer’s first mission) was 7 years ago. This would have to be after Blackwatch was suspended.

The Petras Act came into affect 3 years after Retribution and the assassination of Antonio. In those years, we had (approximately in order, some might be off by one):

• Gerard’s assassination
  • A humanitarian crisis in Egypt (presumably the Anubis shutdown that led to Cairo being in the financial gutter)
  • Uprising
  • Reinhardt’s forced retirement
  • Ana’s apparent death near Poland (Legacy)
  • Storm Rising
  • Doomfist’s arrest in Singapore
  • Swiss HQ explosion - Jack/Gabriel’s apparent death
5 Likes

(where did you get singapore for doomfists arrest? It looks like numbani in the origins short)

Background elements for the most part. The reason why people think its Numbani is the colour scheme and the National Museum in the background. What they don’t notice is that the National Museum has Malaysian and Chinese written on it, and that the background is littered with Chinese businesses and text.

3 Likes

Huh! well you got me there, i never noticed those things and assumed from the colors, you’re right. Interesting! Singapore map in the future, maybe? that’d be hella cool.

1 Like

Yeah, Reyes makes sense, it’s more McCree being there that I’m confused about. Why him and not Genji or Moira?

1 Like

mccree has been part of blackwatch for much longer, and moira wasnt a public operative,she was secret, even from OW

That’s true, I guess it makes sense then.

1 Like

This picture is wrong, Michael Chu said during GDC 2017 that they made mistakes with this picture, they didn’t think of the age of the character and be lore consistent. They thought about the “moment” and not the accuracy. So don’t take this picture as a lore reference.

eddit ; here is the moment : Thinking Globally: Building the Optimistic Future of Overwatch - YouTube

5 Likes

There are a lot of inconsistencies with this picture. I cannot see if Tracer is wearing her chronal accelerator at this point, but this does not change the fact that Tracer was not a member of the Overwatch strike team when this occurred. My mind wants to say that this happened right at the end of the Omnic Crisis, where Tracer is still a subordinate and not on the strike team. She may be receiving medals as a pilot for Overwatch. You can also look at the appearance of Ana and Soldier in the picture, as they show no signs of old age, something that was seen at the time of Uprising. Also, from my understanding, Tracer was 19 at the time of Uprising. Don’t know what to say about that.
Anyway, as to why McCree is pictured here is a bit iffy. He is on Blackwatch, but was probably part of a mission crucial in the Omnic crisis, perhaps an all-hands-on-deck mission.

Maybe I’m looking too far into this but oh well.

1 Like

Look at the post I made just above yours : the picture is all wrong, and Michael Chu said so himself.

4 Likes

Meh. Just tried to logic it out. But I’m glad they realized the mistake and set the record straight.

3 Likes

I guess they dabbled in official overwatch business, after all Jack and Gabe would make a good combo and the fastest gunslinger in the west would be a valuable asset.

1 Like