PSA: there was soft SR reset

To all the people making posts “why do I get garbage teammates with 2-2-2”. Because you do. It’s not 222 itself.

There will be another reset next season too. Might want to get ready for it.

Source: some MVP posts buried since yesterday.

Thanks to the guy below who pulled a link.

I know I’m not good but I don’t care what this games algorithm says. I don’t belong in a bracket where the entire teams runs a conveyor belt into a bastion turret all game.

5 Likes

do you remember the mvp poster so we can track it down? I actually really want to know whether or not they’re recording SR during BETA for SEASON 18 to come on Sep 1st.

I think it was that WyomingMyst guy? Not sure.

Edit: yeah, it was him/her.

Almost certainly. He’s the only MVP regularly actively posting to General Discussion. (There are a few others somewhat active in Competitive Discussion and Tech Support, but even then, not nearly to the same extent.)

3 Likes

found it, linking it here and in the thread I made previously for posterity.

6 Likes

no there wasnt. they were already measuring your MMR and SR BEFORE Rq to get ready so if anything it’s closer to where you belong generally speaking but you will still have a lot of flux in SR and rank due to everyone moving around based on roles if anytime has even been spent

Oh right, I had just assumed people were playing roles that they’d never played before and that’s why people felt worse than before

It was explicitly stated. If anybody can teach me magic of linking posts from phone app, I’ll post it here.

r u ok

2 Likes

GOOD.

I mean uh.

Oh no an SR reset I can’t believe it…

That only addresses the MMR/SR gained or lost during the Role Queue beta.

It basically means that the Role Queue Beta never happened after it ends, as far as the matchmaker is concerned.

1 Like

I want to point out, though, that MVP forum members are still just players and do not have any special inside knowledge. Their MVP badge does indicate that they are thoughtful, helpful players… but that’s all.

WyomingMyst is simply citing from the Introducing Role Queue post. Particularly,

Also in an interview, Jeff indicated that Role Queue per-role MMR would be calculated fresh at the start of role queue, based on our performance on individual roles over the past few months.

I think, in fact, new MMR will be calculated using all your personal performance gameplay data for the last few months including during the beta, and that that will seed your new MMR/SR on September 1st for Season 18 placements.

I’m not sure if WyomingMyst thinks the same thing or if he thinks that Role Queue Beta personal metrics will be discarded … there’s room for interpretation either way in the actual Blizzard statements… but in any case, for most players the overwhelming majority of the data has already been collected so it wouldn’t matter much either way.

6 Likes

Thing that’s annoying is the wild SR swings are on Live right now - its easy to lose or gain 75 SR… maybe that’s how its going to be, but it feels awful.

1 Like

I think it’s just common sense to expect some sort of “soft” reset, to make the system a bit more volatile at first when determining your true SR at certain role so you don’t get “stuck” at wrong SR.

Yeah, there actually was.
Some of my friends that performed really poorly lost like 800sr.

Another case of this was a friend of mine who played DPS on a 3700 account (he’s a 4.6k Hanzo player) and that account placed 4300.

Your performance in placement reaaaallly matters this time.

Your performance in placement reaaaallly matters this time.

You say that, but I’ve seen people lose every single placement match and end up with a higher SR than they ended last season with. I’ve also seen people win every single placement and end up with a lower SR than they ended last season with.

Well wins and losses dont always relate to the individual performance.

Well wins and losses dont always relate to the individual performance.

The devs have already come out saying performance based SR has been removed from diamond and above. For those below diamond the performance influence on SR is minor.