PSA: Since Blizzard will not warn you, I will "Apply Update"

Make haste! Peasants and peons, and those in between, gather around!

I will tell you what Blizzard refuses to!

And one might murmur, “but why JelloPuddin? We have full faith and trust that Blizzard would never mislead us!”

“Blasphemy! Lies!” I reckon

“But surely, any mistake or error on Blizzard’s part would be addressed immediately and fixed. Nevertheless, any error on Blizzard’s part surely wouldn’t be so damn crippling to the player’s account, especially when unwarranted”

Again” I say, “Do not believe everything Blizzactivisoft throws in your face!

FOR OVER A MONTH NOW, THERE IS AN ERROR THAT OCCURS (rather frequently) WHEN TRYING TO JOIN EITHER MODE OF COMPETITIVE, RESULTING IN PENALIZATION; POINT DEDUCTION, AND SUSPENSION

The error consists of; upon joining a competitive match, it takes you to a small, intermediate loading screen where the words “Applying Update” are shown. This screen stays put and never goes away. It may as well be labeled the blue screen of death, for those old enough to understand that reference

As such, you are unable to exit, or do anything outside of basically hard-closing the program or computer entirely.

And how does Blizzard’s ranking system calculate this hard-exiting, considering its a competitive match, error not of the user, but of their programming etc? They penalize YOU, suspend YOU, deduct extra points from YOU. All while keeping it hidden and swept under the rug as much as possible until it happens to you. How about being fair, open, and honest?

-cut scene-

HOLD ON” -says the peon
WAIT A SECOND” -says the peasant
THATS NOT RIGHT” -cried the dandelion

But I’m here to tell you all, it’s true

SUCH A HUGE ERROR SHOULD BE AT LEAST FOREWARNED” -says the peon
BLIZZARD WOULD FIX THAT ISH ASAP” -says the peasant
I DONT BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE” -wailed the dandelion

But I’m here to tell you all, its now been over a month, I’ve personally been affected by it during 4 different competitive games, all resulting in penalizations and longer, unwarranted suspensions, etc

IS IT REALLY TRUE?” -cried the peon
BLIZZARD COULD EASILY PUT UP A HUGE RED WARNING BOX LETTING US KNOW, YA KNOW?” -logically said the peasant
THE DEVS HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED IT, AND HAVE OFFERED A SOLUTION” -added the dandelion “BUT FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, ITS ONLY FOUND AFTER A GOOGLE SEARCH AND ON A 3RD PARTY WEBSITE

Simply put, fix your game. It’s honestly crap like this that gets kicked around for over a month that just confirms the quality of Blizzard games couldn’t be further from the quality of Blizzard games pre-activision-microsoft.

No disrespect, but the truth may hurt. But understand this too Blizzard, pain is the best teacher. And when you only listen to the greeneries in your pockets over your fans, you will be in a world of hurt

2 Likes

Here’s Blizzard acknowledging it and offering a mild solution as a reply to a topic on this very forum, back on April 28th:

Not defending the fact that they ship broken garbage and just leave it out there, but sometimes some employees do try to help a bit.

1 Like

You know they didn’t get rid of that right? Computers can still crash.

The blue is a bit lighter these days (:

Stop using VPNs and aggressive firewall settings? It getting stuck applying the update is likely due to it not being able to actually connect to download the update.

Loading into the practice range is basically doing a check to see if it’s going to be a problem or not. If you can load into it, then it means the connection is fine and you should be able to play comp without worrying.

I have neither and I’ve had the bug several times

has nothing to do with VPNS or custom firewall settings
it’s the game (wish i saw this post earlier, thanks for practice range workaround)

1 Like

Sure… But if you insist, then I’d tell you to whitelist OW.exe completely on your firewall and remove any geoblocking you might have used at some point(where you block game servers that aren’t close to you). Maybe try running the game in admin mode as well. Also, if you’re using some AV like ESET or some other non-Windows Defender AV, then try disabling it and it’s realtime protection, test and see if the issue persists.

In all of my matches, I’ve never had this happen. I asked a couple dozen friends that play and none of them have seen this issue either. Close to ten of them play non-stop every day. So it sounds like you guys are doing or sharing something in common.