PSA: Do not use mouse macros of any sort, you will get permanently banned with no warning

Autohotkey, xdotool, built-in macro programs in mouse drivers like Razer Synapse, do not use anything like this for any reason in Overwatch.

Even just to rebind keys, or something that gives you no advantage whatsoever.

You will or can be permanently banned with no warning, and they won’t repeal the ban.

This isn’t obviously against the rules, people use macros for many legitimate or trivial reasons and in many other games, so I figured I’d make a forum post warning people.

14 Likes

Whuh? I don’t speak PC… :(.

I’m a console user.

4 Likes

Macros are 3rd party programs.
3rd party programs are against the rules.

You would think it could not be more obvious than that.

26 Likes

“3rd party programs” are not against the rules. Are you telling me people aren’t allowed to have Firefox installed on their PC?

Millions of people have Razer synapse installed for example, but using mouse macros you make in it can you get permanently banned with no warning.

Software like authotkey or xdotool are not “hacks” just like Razer synapse isn’t a “hack”, but can be used to make macros as well.

Maybe you’re computer illiterate and don’t understand, but it’s not obvious this is something that you can be banned for. People use macros for many things and many other games, and it’s not considered cheating. There is no warning here and you can be permanently banned without warning in Overwatch.

13 Likes

So exactly what were you doing?

6 Likes

Doesn’t matter what you do. Doesn’t matter whether it’s cheating or gives you an advantage.

Don’t use mouse macros of any sort, and Blizzard should really warn people about this or make it more obvious.

This guy rebinded double click to a single click and got perma banned with no warning or explanation.

7 Likes

Yup, I used scripts a lot for old videogames.

But I’m almost paranoid about using them on new videogames. Even really basic stuff that’s equivalent to pasting a message in chat.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I like my games too much.

3 Likes

3rd-Party programs that in any way affect the game and/or benefit the player while playing are, in fact, against the rules and it has been stated multiple times by the Devs. If you have something against it, take it up with Jeff and Geoff themselves.

3 Likes

When some one who knows technology reads the words 3rd party programs, they have the common sense to understand it is 3rd party programs that alter functions into the main application, either through hooks or memory manipulation.

Fact you tried to argue firefox, likely means this argument is already far above you.

Macros work by injecting multiple commands through a single button. Some games support them ( TF2 ) while Blizzard does not for majority of its games, ( WoW is an Exception )

22 Likes

My point in mentioning Firefox is that your statement about 3rd party programs is wrong.

Macro software does not hook/inject into game dlls or alter the game’s memory either.

Why don’t you go copy/paste from the ToS.

There is countless 3rd party software that can affect the game or benefit the player.

There is no clear line they draw, and it is not obvious to regular players that simple mouse macros can get you banned.

Mouse drivers, keyboard drivers, GPU drivers, sound card drivers, etc.

Companies make features in these to effect how you play video games, and even give you an advantage.

2 Likes

Blizzard does not tolerate Macros. The Blizzard Code-of-Conduct specifically states:

I would support Blizzard in this situation every time.

15 Likes

Players are never shown this when buying the game.

This should be shown in their face, and it should specifically say mouse macros.

Technically they are, when they install the game, they are shown the End User License Agreement which refers them to the Code-of-Conduct.

19 Likes

The EULA is enormous and filled with legal speak. It is not even shown, it is merely linked to.

Players should be shown a short, brief and very clear warning about what Blizzard considers “cheating”, including any sort of macros.

4 Likes

Wait are programmable buttons a macro…?

2 Likes

The line is drawn when it’s considered cheating, meaning it’s a performance that the player either can not perform themselves, or can perform but choose to seek the easy route doing it, thus it is an unfair advantage.

Someone can do with a $10 mouse the same that someone with a $100 mouse can do. Someone with a GTX 870 can do the same that someone with a GTX 2080ti can do (maybe they will be held back a bit, but I digress). Both of these have no impact on others playing game.

Someone who can not achieve the same results as someone else without the aid an aimbot is seeking to be lazy about it and not improve themselves. Someone who can not achieve the same result as someone else without the aid of a mouse macro is too lazy to better themselves. Both of these hurt those playing the game.

They do that too. When loading screen tips appears, it warns with that message quite frequently.

5 Likes

Stop strawmanning, you’re arguing against stuff I never said.

I did not say anything about better hardware, I am talking about drivers.

There is SOFTWARE for gaming mice and graphics cards from companies like Razer and Nvidia that can alter how you play games and give you an advantage.

You could be banned for using a mouse macro you made in Razer Synapse, which is 3rd party software, but Razer Synapse itself is not banned.

I’ve never even noticed it or seen it. It’s not obvious or clear enough.

Players need to be warned about this very clearly.

You talk about them, but yet you’ve never once given an example and talked about how it can impact the game.

2 Likes

Make a mouse macro in Razer Synapse or some other software to preform an emote or voice line in game.

You will be banned. They can detect mouse macros of any sort, and it doesn’t matter what you use them for.