Proposal to add health bars size settings

Hello.

Unfortunately, I did not find a way to change the size of health bars in the game settings. However, this function would be very useful for people with poor eyesight. As a person with bad eyesight, I am close to this problem. It is difficult for me to play as a support because I cannot see well health bars. Hence my suggestion to add health bars resizing settings.

I think it would be useful to add settings for people with disabilities. Therefore I leave the discussion open to discuss other proposals of this kind. For example, there is no setting for the size of the mouse pointer. Although the pointer is enlarged in the operating system settings, in the game it becomes very small.

24 Likes

I think QoL changes like this should always be implemented, or at least always seriously considered

13 Likes

Go to the area to change your crosshair/mouse pointer

Advanced settings -> size -> change it to whatever!

I do agree on changing health bar size settings though, bc I donā€™t think they have this.

3 Likes

Does that change the size in-game?

Do you mean your cross-hair? You can change your cross-hair and give it a different color using the in-game settings. Several of the available cross-hairs are quite visible to me at least

You can even change the color if I recall correctly

1 Like

Yes, it does! Iā€™m talking about the in game settings : )

2 Likes

They should also put a black outline around the health barsā€¦

9 Likes

Ah, I read your post too quickly

2 Likes

Yes, please! I can find it hard to tell how much HP a characterā€™s at on some maps.

6 Likes

In these settings can I change not only the gunpoint? In the thread I meant the size of the regular pointer outside the match.

Ohh, Iā€™m sorry. Donā€™t think theres a way for that

1 Like

So, plus another idea to improve Overwatch :slight_smile:

Liked for increased accessibility.

2 Likes

Yep - good idea, maybe even some options to change the interface, if possible

Watching my gf play, even without poor eyesight, I could tell that healthbars get lost in all the other visual noise if someone isnā€™t experienced. Iā€™d like players to be able to choose to disable these features when they feel comfortable (like the Point icon/etc) and give more accessibility to people who feel they need it

1 Like

Iā€™m all for making the game as accessible as possible :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I wish the devs felt the same way. I appreciate the effort that was put into things like colorblind mode but after a week people came with some more feedback on how it could be improved and it was met with dev silence.

A lot of QOL changes to Ui like OPā€™s are often disregarded because the devs have ā€œa visionā€ for how the game should be presented for a majority of the playerbase. Things such as the OWL player-specific color effects changes wonā€™t be implemented because the devs donā€™t want their game looking ā€œmessy and inconsistentā€ to non-regular OW spectators.

OW2 is going to overhaul/rework a lot of the ui and most likely make it much clearer, but why does OW1 need to wait for such universally needed features? Itā€™s because it can be added to really emphasize how ā€œdifferent, new, and excitingā€ OW2 will be on release (as if new heroes, PvE story mode, and a new engine wasnā€™t enough)

Accessibly is sadly an after thought that takes the backseat to artistic choice and ā€œcohesive yet timelyā€ presentation.

(Sorry for the mini rant, currently drafting a college presentation on this kind of stuff and had a lot to work withā€¦)

3 Likes

I appreciate the effort that was put into things like colorblind mode but after a week people came with some more feedback on how it could be improved and it was met with dev silence.

If that is true, it is sad newsā€¦

I know that forces are now focused on Overwatch 2, but there is Overwatch players who would still benefit from such settings.
If such settings only enter in Overwatch 2, I think it would be right to move them to Overwatch also.
I also hope that developers read this forum and this is not the place for user discussions only.

2 Likes

Idk about black, but definitely some colour outline. Even just red/blue.

1 Like

White health bar (the default setting) with black outline will be seen much better against any back ground than red or blue outlines.

Maybe. I feel like any other colour than black would be better for the outline given how dark some maps and map sections can be (kingā€™s row, blizzard world etc), and since the health bars are currently the same as your team colour, it feels like itā€™d be more visible. Guess Iā€™d have to see both and decide. Really just want a border around health bar so I can better tell when hp is missing. Currently, I sometimes donā€™t notice theyā€™re missing a bar or two unless I see them yellow through walls.

Tiny UI elements is such a common design choice in big-budget games and it blows my mind. Thereā€™s a lot to say for immersion I suppose but it can feel pretty terrible when you, the player, canā€™t take in critical information.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s related but Iā€™ve heard from some devs that scale-able font sizes are one of the hardest changes to put into a video game if you didnā€™t start building around them in the very beginning. Maybe some of the UI pieces like health bars fall into similar issues?

1 Like