Proof that Rank is not skill based - The smurf problem - **Video**

Sorry don’t understand your rather stupid comment. Either I’m more stupid or you are purposely being a jerk.

As I promised before, I would like to comment your whole video and some things said by you there.

1) Playing 9 hours per day to climb
You dont have to play OW as job 9 hours per day to climb, I think even 1,5 hour per day is more than enough to climb from bronze and silver.

2) Old data vs new account
I said it before, but I will say it again. There is no such thing as “Old data”, your MMR(hidden rank) is pretty dynamic and is changing based on your performace. Based on how you play, your SR is trying to be close to your MMR. Thats why you will gain more SR if you are performing well in games. The lower you are in ranks, more SR you can get as skill of others is progressivly going down but yours can be much better. Same if you lose games with good performace, you will lose less SR.

Every new account which is doing first initial placement is starting at 2350, thats your hidden SR in that moment. Every loss and win is significant and your performace will not influence it that much. Initial placement is mostly win/loss base (which is not the best way, I agree). Thats why it is so easy to placed higher if you buy new account. That doesnt mean you belong there tho. You might think you do, but your skill wont magicly go from bronze to gold. You might even think you are doing OK in new rank, lets say gold. But reality is different, you will slowly start losing more sr than gaining and you will slowly go lower and closer to your rank on your main account. This is not 100% rule for sure, as some individuals can actualy keep new rank, because they will learn new game sense fast. But its quite rare actualy.

Your every next season placement is mostly performace based and win/loss is not very significant factor in it. It really depends how you play in your placement, but not only that. Its very important how you actualy played few games before the placement. Based on my experience, its maybe even more important than placement itself. I had occasions where I climbed 375 SR just in placement, because my performace before placement was way better than others in same rank. Some people can win all 5 placement or lose them, but it will not mean that you will drop or gain new worse or better rank, because as I said its performace based and your previous rank/MMR matter a lot. Which is a good thing. It would not make sense to let someone climb 1000+ SR just because he won few games.

3) Performace of others is affecting your rank
Sure, they are but as games are trying to be balanced, your own perfomace is still bigest factor to change outcome of game. Sometimes you can have smurf, thrower, leaver, but so does enemy team. You are only constant in your games. And as I explained before, if you play better than others in your rank, you will not lose that much sr in these games with leaver or smurf on enemy side or thrower on your side.

4) You were placed higher on new account because system is BS
No, you just dont know how the system and placement works. I already explained it above. Lets say you are new player, where would you like to go? System simply doesnt have enough data to place you correctly. Because new player are expected to be placed incorrectly, SR loss and gain is highly boosted for ±10 games after placement to help you place more correctly.

5) You cant escape low elo on your old account
Sure you can, others did it. I told you I can do it on your account when I accepted your challenge to prove you wrong. System is using your previous data sure, why not. But they are not using data from like more than idk 20 games back.

6) They are using data from QP and other modes to place you on new accounts
No they are not, this was proven many times. Check latest Dafran run into top500. He is one of the best players in OW and even he started in same ELO in his first game as would worst OW player start on new account.

So yeah. I hope my post will help you to understand the ranking system more and hey,my offfer still stands, I am able to take your challenge and show you how you can climb on old account “affected by old stats” :slight_smile:

EDIT: dont speed up your video, its weird :slight_smile: Even when your whole video is kind of entertaining, its sadly full of informations which are not true.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that long runs of rng on both sides of the coin can happen.

So while statistically speaking almost everyone will fall in a more exaggerated bell curve because this isn’t pure rng.

There can and will be outliers.

Outliers will exist and should eventually be corrected with enough playing.

I generally feel that the current Sr system is fine and reliable but there will be a few outstanding cases that will come out “against” the system.

My general feeling is to acknowledge the anomaly and track it, it should eventually settle out as expected.

1 Like

Well, i am not in GM - this is all the proof you need that skill and SR are totally uncorrelated

Man I wish I were paid, I’m a broke college student working part-time. If Blizz wants to start sending me money for no reason I’m all down.

You’ve consistently shown through your posts that you have no idea what you’re talking about, and blame the matchmaker for your rank rather than you just being bad. Not exactly an obelisk of accuracy.

1 Like

Others have said, but I will underline:

New accounts start at ~2350 (Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted). Five placement games is not enough to rank an account accurately. Quick play is not taken into account. Accounts with 150+ recent games are accurate, so your bronze account is much closer to your “true” rating.

Old accounts are not hard stuck, unless the player who plays them is hard stuck. If the account is given to a stronger player, it will climb. At worst case (established low bronze account, GM player), it takes several hundred games to move the account to the new player’s rating. Note that the majority of these games are at higher SR, when it becomes more difficult to climb. Here’s some data: Stevo's Bronze to GM Analyzed - Google Sheets. Stevo won his first 51 games (from bronze till plat). The data is old, but the basic mechanics of climbing hasn’t changed that much.

A gold player would have no trouble getting a bronze account out of bronze, but closer to high silver/low gold he’ll slow down.

That you asked for a boost to prove you wrong, and then came up with a lamesauce reason why to reject someone who agreed, makes this whole thread and video look rather lamesauce. You’re not looking for answers, you just want just find some excuse for your low rating other than your low ability.

Finally, see How Competitive Matchmaking and Rating Works (Season 18) for more information about how things work.

4 Likes

only problem ranked has atm…

role que screwed up the ranks… tank/dps/support don’t match in ranks…

that’s what i was afraid of from the getgo… and blizzard deliverd… i don’t see how they could balance out the skill in all 3 classes and translate that to ranks…
atm it’s fubar… before role que, ranked was playable… now it’s a game of luck… do the other classes have an IQ or not…

no matter what role i play… the other roles just feel like they are playing bad…

as tanks you engage and nobody follows/they back off for some reason (or your support dive past you and die)
as DPS you flank the enemy -> tanks nowhere to be seen (not on the objective like they should be) and supports chasing kills…
as support… tanks diving without a team (nobody is around… doesn’t even wait for the group up…) DPS focussing ALL the wrong targets. like pharmercy on enemy team… my team goes reaper and Mei… EVERY DAMN TIME!!! ok the occasional torbjorn can be spotted wich is even worse!
or you have mei on your team and the enemy has a wreckinball… what does mei do? nothing… nowhere near the point the whole team is contesting trying to hit a fast moving target

it’s not realy that rank isn’t skill based because it is… but the game doesn’t know how to calculate skills and just bases your progress on win/loss… (no matter how good you performed… so if you steamrolled the cart into their base just to lose the last second then the enemy struggles on every point just to get 3 minuits of overtime and then win -> you will lose ranked points… why? because the enemy got lucky and won with extended time?

but hey… this game AND paladins have the worst matchmakers i’ve ever seen… both games are pretty unplayable as a solo player… (played paladins with a group once… i gained 9 ranks! and i’m sure it will be the same in this game…)
on top of that, the damn game doesn’t even show you if you’re fighting a pre-made or not… so yeah… chances are you’re F’d in the A before you even start the match.

TF2 is still the best game in this genre… overwatch wanted to improve but kinda failed because they can’t seem to fix their balance (or keep shifting meta… wich is a result of failing at balance…) paladins… some story as overwatch… but with even worse devs, worse balance and even worse players.

1 Like

You had to buy a new account to realize that the ranking system won’t be as accurate with less games played than with more? And this was such a revelation to you that you felt you had to make a video about it?

Okay dude, lol. Buying a new account may have started you up 1000 points, but that doesn’t mean you’ll stay there.

And old data is not keeping players from advancing. New accounts simply move more quickly for about the first 50 games to more quickly place players where they belong. (Or at least they used to do this, not sure if they still do). But thats partially where the whole “old data holds me back” idea comes from.

I’ll also mention that I had an account stuck in low gold for 100s of hours. Bought a new computer and was high plat within a week. But, whatever helps you sleep at night.

1 Like

Anyone remember this?

Or the MallSanta thing?

2 Likes

Well that was kinda Captain Obvious, but thanks for coming, I was expecting you. Maybe I should save the link, but ur always here to link it <3

1 Like

No but funny AF. “Hey guys, I got carried and Im staying in the rank, tho Im not chasing the carrot so Im not playing comp.” Huge surprise you dont lose rank if you dont play. Also hes sub 1000sr now :smiley: Who would have thought?

4 Likes

Wow this was a really bad attempt at both of these things. There is no indication youre being hyperbolic, it just seems like you really believe all this which makes you look really bad. Also this was not “entertaining” at all, it wasnt funny, and given youre being hyperbolic it gives no actual valuable information. So its just a giant waste of time.

1 Like

Pretty much, my season 8 placements makes this game think I’m still a gold player, after 2 years of significant improvement lmao.

That’s insane, my season 8 placements also put me as gold when I first started playing. I can’t believe it’s holding me down at my current rank (of not gold). If only I’d actually improved rather than just thinking I got better.

1 Like

I’ve gotten 3 accounts to diamond and I’m a drunk stoner lol. I think I could go further if I took it more serious, but am content because diamond players are actually very decent at the game. I started in silver and looked to improve…and I did (somewhat). If you keep denying it’s yourself and it’s the system…you will get no where.
I’m sure you’re aware, but look up the dunning-kruger effect.

3 Likes

Oh yea must be just my imagination that all my stats have vastly and significantly improved and gold is a rank where I can’t even die because nobody can aim straight.

Also I got placed in gold back in season 8 and I easily grinded to platinum, it wasn’t even challenging. Doing placements in role queue beta was probably the least challenging thing I’ve ever done in overwatch, everything was so easy I never had to try.

I don’t just think I got better, I have factually gotten vastly better.

Your profile says plat/plat/gold. It doesn’t look like the game is holdiing you in gold.

Placed in 2.6k as both supp and dps because I was 2504 in season 8. Then placed tank in 2.3k like I had time traveled back to season 3 when I started playing this game lol.

Most time as Dva - 58% winrate.
Everyone else - average or below average stats
Dva - Slightly above average elims/life, but also below average demechs/10.

You have basically bog-standard stats, none of them are impressive.

Of course not, they’re basically the same rank until like 2800.

Your stats indicate that you didn’t try.

1 Like

Here’s a fair idea. Instead of an MMR reset for everyone, since newer accounts have no need for it, how about just an MMR reset for older accounts?

But that’s never gonna happen. Not because it would be unfair, but because Blizzard is a greedy capitalist corp and wants to force you to buy a new account or be stuck forever.

There is no aspect of our society that rewards people who’ve done something the longest. Only those who do it the best for the next year or so.