[POSSIBLE FIX]Your Rendering Device Has Been Lost! Application Closing!

Hello everyone. First of all, i don’t know if this is the right section of the Overwatch forum to post such a thing, but i will try to be as clear as possible. Also, sorry if my english is not one of the best you’ll find here.

Alright, let’s go.

So, as i’ve seen on many forums and many topics, some people are still experiencing the error “Your rendering device has been lost! Application closing!” to then see their screen freezed, pc stuck, or, in the worst of the cases, graphical bugs (like various squares of many colors, along with some weird noises).
I myself has been a victim of this error, but since i’ve been able to fix this after a very, very long time, i would like to share my experience hoping that it might be helpful for someone else. (As they say, suffer, learn how to not, and don’t make others suffer :P)

So, first of all, let’s write a list of the possible causes that might give this error, along with their fixes:

• Old/outdated drivers for your GPU. (Example: A GTX 1060 using drivers for a GTX 900).
:heart: Fix: Go to the related site of your GPU and download the latest drivers for your GPU.

• Overheating. This can be underestimated, but might be the cause of your GPU failure.
:heart: Fix: Go to a PC repairing store and ask them (nicely :P) to clean your pc components, along with checking GPU, thermal paste, chipset and if everything works as it should.
If you are an “Homemade” kind of person (I myself am) open up your pc’s case (((TURN OFF THE ELECTRICITY))) and clean the dust by yourself. Be cautious, thought. I am not responsible of any incident that might happen.

• Windows Files corruption/damaged files.
:heart: Fix: Go to START, type CMD, right click on it and execute ad Administrator, then click yes. Once you’re into the command prompt (CMD) write the following commands step-by-step as in the exact order as i write them. And most improtantly: be patient. Let the CMD execute those commands properly. Don’t close it while it’s scanning.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth <—First command
sfc /scannow <—Second command

Once you’ve done this, Restart your computer, and everything should work fine.

• GPU/CPU/RAM/Cables not correctly inserted/plugged.
:heart: Fix: Although this may seem the dumbest thing on earth, please check that every cable is correctly plugged into your PC. As always, i highly recommend to visit a PC repairing store and ask them for advice. If you check these things by yourself on the internet you’ll just end up in many topics that might not give you the answers that you’re seeking.

• Outdated BIOS
:heart: Fix: This might seem a bit complicated; but it’s not. First of all, click on START, and click MSInfo. Click on System information, and look for the System Manufacturer (Example: Dell, Packard Bell, EVGA, ecc.). Once you’ve done that, go on the Manufacturer’s site, and look up for your PC model’s BIOS. If you’re unsure of which model your pc is, fret not. PC manufacturers usually make you download a program that will identify your model. Download the model’s related BIOS, and install it. (DON’T ABSOLUTELY DO ANYTHING ELSE WHILE THIS PROCESS IS OPERATING, LET YOUR PC FINISH IT).

• Your power supply can’t afford to give enough power to your build.
:heart: Fix: Check the voltage of your power supply, and search how much power do your components take. If something takes more than it’s needed, you might consider trying to Undervolt. As always, i’m not responsible of any incident and even if this is not a risky process be really cautious.

• An hardware component of your pc is not working correctly.
:heart: Fix: You might want to consider stres testing each component to see if any of your parts eventually fails. (Note that this might not always mean that your PC component is broken: a malfunction might also be caused by a component not correctly inserted/plugged, so consider reinserting every component before thinking that it’s broken.)

• Your GPU is fake.
:heart: Fix: Alright, alright. This might seem the dumbest and the most stupid thing, but this was the cause of my Overwatch’s error. Don’t panic, and listen to me.
First of all, check your GPU specs and look for an online program to see all of them. I personally use GPU-Z.

After this, go to your GPU manufacturer (As always, Nvidia, AMD, etc) and contact their support. Ask them to check if your GPU is a fake one, and send them a screenshot of your GPU specs from the program you’ve downloaded. If the answer for the question “Is my GPU fake?” is “Yes” don’t panic. It happens. Many GPUs are sold by the name or mark NVIDIA GTX “XXXX” (X stands for the number) and are flashed to make your PC read them as the name when you’ve bought them, while, in reality, are older GPUs that do not have the specs they promised you.
This might give your Overwatch issue because your computer actually reads your GPU as, for example, GTX 750, while, in reality, it is a GTX 500, which might also be the cause of the unsuccesful driver installation, since maybe you’re trhing to download, as we said, a GTX 750 driver, while your GPU is an actual GTX 500. So, what to do with it?

It’s pretty simple. If you can afford another GPU, buy another one (FROM AFFIDABLE SOURCES), if you cannot, it’s always simple. Check online for informations about fake GPUs, and try to look for yours. In my case, i had a GTX 750 that in reality is a GTX 500.
Once you’ve discovered your actual GPU, go to your manufacturer and download the proper drivers (so if you discover that your GPU is a 500 download the drivers for the 500 series).

Once your drivers are installed, your Overwatch will not yet work correctly. Why? Because the game itself looks for the specs that your GPU should give, it doens’t find them, and therefore it crashes.
Don’t panic, there’s a fix even for this. Download the MSI AFTERBURNER and set your MEMORY CLOCKS and CORE CLOCKS to your ACTUAL GPU values. (In my experience, i had to set them from 1700 and 700 to 1300 and 600, now Overwatch runs very well). Apply your changes…and done! Your game should now work properly.

I really, really hope that this thread has been useful for you, as it was for me to know all of these things. Also, i hope that your game will run correctly now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, and i hope I did everything by the rules :stuck_out_tongue: hopefully this post doesn’t get deleted.
See you in Overwatch o/

1 Like

This probably would be more appropriate in the technical support area. Hopefully it gets moved an tagged. I’ve run into this, and once it was in fact just an overheating issue I didn’t realize at the time.

1 Like

Just moved it to the technical support area :smiley: Hope it will help a lot of people