Please Rework Symmetra For OW2

Alright devs, it’s time to put on your creative caps and do something about Symmetra. She doesn’t fit well with OW2 at all. She’s the only DPS without an actual damaging ultimate. Also, she was a niche hero against shields, but most of the tanks no longer have shields and/or she’s rarely in a situation where she can get close enough to burst down a shield if it is used. Her teleporter isn’t really that useful anymore now that assault maps are going away. I guess it’s still niche. Personally I think you all should make her a support again (have her give out shields and also heal players), but if not, then at least rework her ultimate. Her shield will be pointless in OW2. Maybe even give her back her other 3 turrets for a total of 6 like she had before. Idk what else can be done, but she’s not in a good state at all for OW2. Maybe scrapping the teleporter all together would be a start. She can literally build anything (she’s the green lantern of Overwatch) and all she’s being used for is her teleporter. Smh

42 Likes

I completely agree, although I’m actually okay with the ultimate. I’m just not sure how her weapon (which like you said, sort of makes her a niche hero against shields) and her turrets will operate in the new environment.

3 Likes

With it being 5 vs 5, dps have to really pull their weight. Usually, ultimates help win team fights. Symmetry’s shield can help in some occasions, but from what I’m seeing most players are spread out. So her shield may not be the best option in some cases. Maybe giving her 2 ultimates and allowing her to swap them out may suffice as well.

Sym has several issues going into OW2, which really are in many ways just the same issues she has right now:

• Her beam starts too weak for how mediocre the max charge damage is.
  • Her beam is too dependent on shields to charge.
  • Her beam takes too long to charge up considering her negative levels of survivability and range.
  • Cooldown ability team TP is even more useless with the removal of control maps, while her solo performance has been nerfed several times to maintain team TP power for OWL.
  • Her sentries are individually underpowered and too few due to being balanced around sentrybombing
  • Her Orbs are too slow.
  • She still doesnt have the survivability to exist at the range that her damage needs her to be.
  • Wall is likely too static of an ultimate to have impact in fast paced OW2.

Overall Sym is very much held back by the team TP gimmick whose optimized potential she is both balanced around and unavailable to most of the playerbase. She is intentionally kept as an anemic DPS hero to keep her from being used for team TP in serious OWL.

16 Likes

YES. Support Symmetra.

My passive idea is: Vishkar’s Protection
Symmetra applies a small amount of over-health to nearby teammates every 5s that lasts 15s. This application rate is slowed to every 10s if Symmetra has taken damage in the last 5s.

This makes Symmetra a valuable asset to the team, especially when she plays with her team. Her turrets should do less damage but SLOW enemies more. She should also have four turrets instead of three.

Her teleporter needs to go, it’s just so cheesy. Teleporting starts around the map are so 50/50, either your TP attack destroys everyone or gets destroyed. I don’t think it’s fun to watch or play with at all unless you’re part of the TP attack. Bring back her photon barrier as an ability or something instead.

Ultimate could be her teleporter from spawn and an over-health generator, like in the old days. I think these two would work well in OW2 as long as the cast time is shorter and they’re balanced well.

7 Likes

Actually getting rid of her teleporter isn’t a bad idea. I like the shields passive and the photon barrier as an ability. I think she will need to still be able to heal too. Maybe she can get 6 turrets. 3 of the turrets DPS/slow and the other 3 can be used to heal in a small area. Sort of like S76 can do but she would have 3 of them. Another idea I had was having Symmetra’s orbs heal allies that they hit and damage enemies. Pretty much another version of Ana, without the sleep dart or grenade.

1 Like

She might need to lose the teleporter in favor of something else. Can’t she have something that revolves around the use of Solid Lights? Seems like a creative gold mind that is just being pushed aside for some reason…

A TP could work but it would have to function differently, and who knows if what they settle on will even be good for the game.

5 Likes

Good ideas, although healing turrets are wayyy too slow-paced for OW2. It must be consistent and easy to pull off, like the idea of the orbs. The thing is orbs take time to charge so they need to significantly heal, but burst healing like that could be OP af.

Instead of the photon barrier ability, if a healing ability would be better, Symmetra could apply a protective ward to people that lasts 4s. This ability instantly heals the target for a small amount. A percentage of the damage taken by the chosen ally will return to them as an additional heal after the 4s ends. If they take no damage during this time, the cooldown is reset, allowing Symmetra to apply the ability to another ally.

6 Likes

“She’s the only DPS without an actual damaing ultimate.”

Widowmaker would like a chat.

3 Likes

I don’t mind her shield ultimate, but I do agree that she could be seamlessly turned into a support. I’d say the same for Echo, by the way.

3 Likes

I really liked the attaching beam from old. Hope it makes a comeback.

3 Likes

Oooh I forgot about her. Lol You have a point though. Maybe she can have a DPS ult finally for OW2 as well.

For the Nth time, ‘‘support symmetra’’ doesnt work without erasing her entire kit to give her healing abilities.

Small microscopic overhealing (ignoring that Blizz does NOT want overhealing) is simply not reliable or lifesaving enough to actually make her a support.

You want a support Sym? You need to utterly demolish her entire hit to put on-demand, reliable healing somewhere. And at that point you might as well delete Sym.

2 Likes

Where could you put healing in her for her to be a support?

Healing sentries were a failure.
Healing TP is even worse of an idea.
Replacing her gun for healing could make her gimped, immobile and worse Mercy.

It takes 10 time the effort to rework her into a support that isnt a meme than to revert/fix what makes her a bad DPS.

Or allow her orbs to heal allies and damage enemies like Ana does. Then they can keep the turrets, scrap the teleporter and add something else.

I mean, yeah, totally, I want a huge rework honestly. Just keep her turrets in the kit that have a nice slow effect on them, then give her a proper healing ability, a nice passive, a supportive ultimate and have healing in a new secondary fire.

Symmetra 3.0 was never a great idea, she was only really used for skipping 2CP and TP botting. She saw playtime in rush sometimes but that was kinda it.

4 Likes

People could die in the time it takes you to charge an orb to heal someone. Plus they are slow projectiles that are simply not reliable to heal with.

1 Like

I think that wasn’t well thought. With some actual planning and design that could actually work. Shield generator could come back as well.

1 Like

Sym 3.0 was a bad idea because it reduced her to a taxibot, yes, but making her a healer is simply not viable considering that historically she has been a defense DPS since her 2.0 days. Robbing a playerbase of their main to massively rework a hero into something she has never been is not the epic support win you think it is.

1 Like

There is no way to make a static, high cooldown, destroyable and delayed source of healing viable in OW2.

Also Blizz isnt bringing back overhealth. Nor is Shield Gen a support exclusive thing.

1 Like