Please don't change Jesse's name

I felt the need to make a post about this, since it seems like so much of the community only voices the bad stuff. This worries me, since it’s more likely that the “bad stuff” will be taken into consideration over the silent majority that disagrees.

I recently heard about this topic and can’t believe that players are actually demanding to have his name changed. We all know that our Jesse McCree is nothing like his real life name inspiration in more ways than one. But also think about all the other people in this world that share that same name, do you think they’re all bad just because of their name?

I’m sure there’s an argument that will be made, “It’s just a name”, but would you change your name just because of someone else’s actions?

Please Blizzard, Jesse is the first character I’ve had in awhile that means quite a bit to me. His lore, personality, and his character as a whole mean a lot to quite a few players and his name is a big part of his character. And hopefully this doesn’t get drowned out by the people that are only fixated on him because of that name right now.

74 Likes

Yeah please don’t. Its a good and fitting name.

43 Likes

It’s a connection to a sexual abuser.

It’s understandable why blizzard as a company would like to remove that connection.

So pls Blizzard, rename Jesse Mcree.

But they weren’t named jesse mcree because of that sexual abuser.

Mcree in game is called mcree because of this person.

8 Likes

No, please don’t. Its a good name that fits an iconic character.

21 Likes

I personaly don´t connect his name with that abuser…I am reading Ashe´s novel and Cree is playing a big part in it. It´s more lore name for me. I can understand, why people would like to change it, butI think it will be marked even more if things like this would be changed in games (you already destroyed Kael´Thas for me for no reason!).

6 Likes

The forums/playerbase is filled with the biggest cry babies known to man. Not only that, they worship Blizz, and Blizz worships China. The game is way too far in to change the name. Changing it wouldn’t even do anything, you people are still going to log in and get hours logged :joy:

17 Likes

I honestly really think his name it very fitting for his character, and just like you said OP our mccree in ow is not anything related to that guy from blizzard.

So i don’t even see why they would have to change it in the first place?

I do understand that they would want to change it so there’s like no correlation to that blizzard guy and all, but still i don’t think they should.

5 Likes

I’d opt to not change his name too.

I’m sorry but the last few generations have been getting overly sensitive about everything under the sun.

Jesse Mcree is our overwatch cowboy and even if they change it we all know we will still be calling him that or even if it is just in our head.

27 Likes

He wasn’t “named after a sex abuser”. They’ve talked about how they needed a name for Jesse’s character and liked Jesse McCree’s name. Enough so, that he signed over rights for the name. It didn’t have to do with the person at all, they just thought his name would be fitting for this character.

10 Likes

Nobody demanded anything. And you have no statistics to backup your claim that the majority agrees with you.

3 Likes

Yeah its kinda too late to change his name outright. Just wouldnt work.

3 Likes

So they named him after a sex abuser,ya.

It’s not that difficult to change that stuff. Especially for ow2.

There are tons of threads on this.

The “bad stuff” was the guy being a sex abuser. Showing apathy is also pretty “bad” imo.

I’m not demanding it. I would like it changed though, so there’s not a character named after a sex abuser in the game.

He means a lot to me too, and that’s why I don’t want him named after a sex abuser. Ironically, he’s designed after a character literally called “The man with no name”.

More likely this will get drowned out by people agreeing with you.

1 Like

I apologize if that was misworded, but I was talking about community complaints in general are normally from the vocal few, whereas most of the community would disagree. I didn’t necessarily mean this particular topic. But I’m also sure that I’m not the only one.

4 Likes

Its not about difficulty, but marketing. Jesse Mccree is what he is known as everywhere. On all his merchandise, and books ect.

I dont like that the dude is an abuser either, but I can seperate that from a cartoon.

6 Likes
  • Sombra: Pleasure working with you McCree… if that is your real name.
  • McCree: Don’t know what you heard, but my name’s not Joel. Best remember that

I mean, this has been in the game for years now, iirc. So you know, they can just follow up with that.

3 Likes

Fred mcrightclick would be more fitting. But If they don’t change it doesn’t matter to me.

2 Likes

Do you really think anyone whos been playing this game for 4 years now is gonna call him “Joel”

4 Likes

I will say, naming him after a real life person in the first place was a mistake. They did a similar mistake connecting that Zarya skin with a real life person who turned out to be scummy too. They need to stop doing that.

6 Likes

Ironically people don’t think of this:

The hell you gonna do with all the accounts named “Jesse” or “Mccree” :joy:

6 Likes