Please ban smurfs

there’s literally no reason not to, just do it

10 Likes

The problem is how do you know who is smurfing

3 Likes

Phone authentication

5 Likes

They could add a smurf option in reports and let a real human check his past matches for throwing reports maybe? Without throwing, you can’t smurf so there should be way more throwing than smurfing. Although that would actually cost Blizzard money and employ more staff so obviously that ain’t happening.

5 Likes

Jeff recently admitted smurfs are a problem and said they’re working on a solution but that it’s not an easy fix due to how account creation works on consoles.

2 Likes

Or they are level 24 with no history of other comp experiences

I thought comp open by level 25

Does it really matter?

How are you going to detect smurfs?

Well it’s simple, though almost each option limits the Players or can cause False-Positives.

The only realistic option as of this moment is reporting a smurf when he’s throwing. Simply having GM skill in Gold doesn’t mean he has thrown matches to get lower. Could be an MMR malfunction, so if automated causes a false positive.

If someone has GM skill in Gold isn’t enough proof to report them since they have not broken a rule, at least you haven’t seen him do it.

yes it does.
9 char.

Its really not that hard, but it depends how much are they willing to do about it.

It’s not hard to detect… it is quite hard if you want it to be precise.

False positives result in many false bans and putting in verification can be a problem for certain players.

Yes it’s easy to detect, but not precisely without downsides.

I would start with banning streamers who do it publicly to show they are serious about it. Then ban anyone who is participating in deranking groups.

Another step would be some kind of automatic system which would target anyone who lost way too much sr in short period of time and review few his games just to be sure.

I could think if several other ways to how to find people who smurf.

Right now streamers do it freely without being punished.

5 Likes

I think that’s a fair way to do it as a start.

Well yeah review as a minimum, because if you’d automate a system like this completely then well… many players get loss streaks so this might be a reason that it could go wrong. As long CS reviews i’m fine with that system.

1 Like

I think current banning system is lacking because they are afraid that they will ban people who didnt smurf. And they really didnt release any statement with definition of smurfing.

1 Like

I bought another account to investigate the logic of matchmaking system. I felt rather defeated that I lost 1000 SR from mid platinum down to low gold. I am playing on mid platinum level, at least that is the one I can surely claim.

While I was leveling that another account, I played better than some people but in fist 25 levels of just quick plays, only one guy reacted that I was a smurf. In my head, I am not playing anything “unusually good” just the regular way I know that I can play, meaning, I am not even trying so hard. That was the point for me getting 2nd account, to see if I am delusional about my SR.

Obviously I am not, after first qualifying, I got 2880 SR but system, for some reason makes you lose. I don’t like that I am getting individual SR for a result of a team. That is where I had it enough with competitive game and on top of that queues for DPS made it not worth it anymore.

So, I am not playing on that account at all and yeah, I wasted 20 euros just for that purposes. Now, what about people that “do not want to screw up their SR on main account”?? Why would they even need another account? They should play on primary account and if they want to get into lower tier, they have to throw and throwing can be reported.

1 Like

Devs dont even ban deranking groups in lfg hahahha you think they will ban more money coming in?

Devs have lead this game to the state the community is now 100% game structure causes all these problems.

3 Likes

I personally know (irl) two streamers who are GM/T500 who actively stream and smurf in silver/gold/plat daily…

No I do not condone this activity.

Yes I have told them they are ruining the game.

3 Likes

In magic froupie land this isnt a problem. why would people waste time playing at lower elo? " -scott mercer

This was asked in season 2 after they rolled out the current ranking system. Shamme

1 Like

That’s what I’d like to know. If I was masters/GM I’d only play there. I don’t see the reason to smurf. But I’m also not good enough to smurf so… :woman_shrugging:t2: