Please ADD the avoid slots to INFINITY

Uhm well, that would probably make the qs go into the hour time mark. I personally want more avoid slots (5 avoid slots would be perfect). But infinite avoid slots is just a no no.

4 Likes

5 would be a good start, but id think a total of 10 avoid slots with a 14 day timer, that way you pretty much have a 95% to never encounter them again. At least for those 2 weeks.

Cant have that korean Zarya main getting avoided by everyone and having 18 hour queue times

The avoid list should change depending on the rank of the players. The current 3 avoid slots really only makes an impact at the ends of the ranks, Bronze and Master/GM, while 3 doesn’t have nearly enough spots to make a difference from Silver to Diamond.

I would like to see something like:

10 avoid slots - Bronze
15 avoid slots - Silver
20 avoid slots - Gold
15 avoid slots - Platinum
10 avoid slots - Diamond
5 avoid slots - Master
3 avoid slots - GM

This could end up increasing the queue time a bit, but I would expect it wouldn’t change much since the majority of the players are in gold, while the second most players are in silver and platinum.

3 Likes

It would be disaster for matchmaker. Too many avoids would cause way longer queue times.

3 Likes

Actualy first smart suggestion to this topic I have seen on this forum. It could probably work and wont make so much trouble. But my opinon is that I still think players do not need so many avoid slots.

20 is too much even for gold.

4 Likes

If you need this many avoid slots, the problem isn’t the community, it’s you.

And that’s from someone who blames the community for a lot of problems with the game.

I’ve needed to avoid maybe 3 people in 4 years of playing this game. If you need 20+, it ain’t them, it’s you.

2 Likes

well it would be longer queues for the ones being avoided. and could punish the throwers/onetricks

Sometimes I can’t decide which 3 people to avoid from a single game.

Overwatch is a case study in how most people are not suited for competitive environments but immerse themselves in it anyway.

It would actualy punish everyone. The one being avoided would certainly have bigger punishment but it would eventualy not be good for everyone. There is a reason it is only 3 avoid slots. Jeff Kaplan was talking about it and I seriously doubt they would want to have more slots.

I’m sorry but that’s just not true at all. Perhaps you just set the bar low for the type of people you socialize with and that’s why you havent had to avoid too many in four years as you say. While I do think 20 is a bit excessive…I do think something like 5 or 6 avoid slots would be beneficial.

I think avoid slots should be a high number. But, make it, if it isn’t already, so you can get the said avoided person on the enemy team. That way you get no real advantage.

Disagree. I set the bar quite high, actually. I simply don’t engage with or let the people you are referring to get so easily under my skin.

Which is all to repeat: Most people are not mentally or emotionally suited for competitive environments. Overwatch is what happens when they feel entitled to it anyway.

If you’re needing that many avoid slots on a daily basis, you should not be playing these types of games. It’s part of the ecosystem. If it’s that easy to tilt you/get under your skin, don’t compete.

Thank you!

While 20 may be too much, I don’t believe it would because according to these stats posted by Jeff: Competitive Mode Tier Distribution (a few years ago, the distribution should still be very similar) we can see that the gold playerbase has roughly 30x as many players in it. This means that if GM has 3 avoid slots, to match the same ratio of avoid slots for gold, gold would have around 90 avoid slots (3 x 30). This sounds like too many, but the ratios appear to pan out.

1 Like

I want an option to see who everyone else is avoiding. If I can see that someone is avoiding me then I don’t need to avoid them, for example. I think it would also be useful to have in groups so you don’t avoid the same people.

What needs to be done, is the developers need to require registered competitive teams for competitive mode and further incentivize team play and punish those who dont play the mode properly. We wouldnt need more avoid slots if we were already in organized teams and people 1puldnt do half the ignorant things they do ingame(especially in lower ranks) if we had a tutorial that actually taught the intricacies of the game. People get avoided for numerous reasons, and not all of them are justifiable. People avoid people when they just simply dont think their skill is up to par, that by itself is solved with teams. People avoid for throwing or smurfing and that too is solved by teams. People avoid for toxicity and that too is solved by teams. As a short term better than nothing at all approach I like your system(though some tweaking is needed) but for a longer term approach what I’ve said is much better. The development team needs to focus on community accountability.

1 Like

What I would actually love to see is the avoid slots increase or decrease based on your Endorsement ranking. This would do two things. It would reward people for being good teammates and it would actually make the endorsement rating have actual value. You absolutely should be rewarded for being a good teammate and a positive member of the community, and a better endorsement ranking should help you in some way to team you with better people.

I’d say something like:

2 avoid slots for level 1
3 avoid slots for level 2
4 avoid slots for level 3
5 avoid slots for level 4
6 Avoid slots for level 5

Just curious did you read my post lol

That is essentially renaming and recategorizing the same issue. If you make Competitive only playable by Teams Only, then you will drop your player base faster than a greasy turd down a slip n slide.

As I previously said, if there is too many avoids, it would be like that one Zarya that was so avoided they had 18+ hour queue times. That was the reason for void limits and time limits. But I do believe the the amount of avoids are too little. I agree it should be based on the player pool size per rank. For the highly populated ranks, I think 20 is the Max it should be and their player pool size is significantly higher than the top tiers. T500 is around 10k players while Gold being the largest group is around 2mil or more players. Even if Gold players each avoided 20 throwers or toxic players, there is so many more players they will still encounter and the queue times wont have much of a impact. Maybe 30 seconds at best.

So again that Korean Zarya had literally every person in their region which was likely hundreds of thousands of players put her on avoid.

I mostly want an option where I can avoid groups that have ppl 2 entire tiers apart from eachother in it. Nothing really competitive when a plat brings his silver friend on tank into plat games for example.