PLayers: We hate burst damage (one shot combos)

Devs:

66 Likes

I’m honestly tired of insta-dying or having fights drag on forever and a day. I’m not sure what exactly has changed, other than just adding all these new characters, factors etc. to the game has incrimentally and fundamentally changed the overall pacing of the game to the point where there are no longer ‘fight interactions’ where you have trade off damage, points to think etc. - you’re often just too overwhelmed or lucky enough to be in the too overwhelming side in that moment. And that’s about it.

64 Likes

speak for yourself. imo nothing is inherently wrong with burst damage.

6 Likes

The issue with burst is it completely negates almost an entire roles abilities in the games.

People HATE powers which totally shut down damage, but, are weirdly fine with completely shutting down the possibility that healing could have an effect in a combat.

It is a hard counter to 90% of the stuff supports can do.

Powers which hard counter 1/3 of your players main abilities are not… a great design.

That IS an inherent problem with burst.

76 Likes

I guess you are one of the **exceptions? Congrats

4 Likes

??? i dont know what this is supposed to mean.

iirc supports have more in their kit than just healing.

3 Likes

But most of their strength is tied up in healing.

I would have FAR less of a problem with burst if that wasn’t the case.

If you packed the supports with other enabling powers and nerfed healing, then sure… but that isn’t the game we have now.

17 Likes

I disagree. One shot instantl kills are just fine. It happens in real life, so why not in the game.

1 Like

Because 1/3 of your players just leave? They want a game as well.

24 Likes

id disagree. lucio, zen, and ana/bap to an extent, all have a great amount of their impact tied to skills that aren’t healing.

Still disagree. I’m perfectly fine with insta kills. I think it keeps the game exciting.

2 Likes

So, how about we put in things which limit damage the same way.

Give 1/2 the supports the ability to just STOP it. Not… heal it, not mitigate it a little, just… stop it entirely.

Make ANY skill the DPS was doing in that fight totally removed.

Like, Baps field, but… give it a 50% up time.

Would that be fun for the DPS?

I wouldn’t find it fun as a DPS.

19 Likes

Ridiculous. That is absurd.

Burst damage sucks to everyone, not just supports (altho it’s most noticeable to supports bc they’re the main targets usually). Other DPS heroes with low mobility/low survivability suffer (even characters w good survivability like Soldier are vulnerable).

Tanks may not die instantly, but it brings them down low enough for their team to finish them off before healers can help, unless good shields are in play.

I love Echo and I know I use the bomb/beam combo, but I know it’s annoying. Having to deal with Widow/Hanzo/Boosted Ashe is annoying. Having to deal with high mobility burst-killers is also annoying.

5 Likes

YES… you are almost there.

13 Likes

doing damage isnt something thats exclusive to dps. you forget that such a proposal would make the game obnoxious for tank/support players as well.

Given sustained damage would need to be way too strong to compete, I’d say it’s fine.

Think about it like this, sustained damage is typically far easier to apply, so it doesn’t typically kill as fast or have as much range. Burst damage typically takes more skill and is more risky, so naturally it should be more rewarding. That’s just a logical way to balance things.

To problem Blizzard had is they keep removing risks

4 Likes

I just hate abilities or weapons that can allow someone to one shot. It’s so tiring being a poor Zenyatta and constantly getting hooked, flash-fanned, headshot by a sniper, etc…
Edit: This is not me asking for these certain abilities/characters to be nerfed. I’m just expressing my annoyances.

7 Likes

One shots are abnoxious for more than just the supports.

9 Likes