Player names coming up as "[[unknown]]"

some people when communicating in the game chat they come up as unknown. It’s not everyone but there’s usually at least one name like this.

19 Likes

means there steam name has characters the game can not see like #%!@$ in there steam name

But there wasn’t anyone in the game with charaters like that. And in another game some had lines in there name and it displayed perfectly fine just without the lines in the game chat.

2 Likes

I’m seeing this, too. Also it apparently shows my Steam display name in chat for me, not sure if it does for other players. I want to keep my blizzard name and also want to just see the blizzard name for others

4 Likes

I also have that since the new update. Asked in a game and they said they saw my battle.net name but I saw my steam…

No, my Steam name is Ivan and appears as unknown, every one with a steam profile appears like that. It’s just broken

1 Like

The Steam end is now displaying the Steam name in text on the local machine. The names seen by others are unknown, and the names seen by others on the Steam end are also unknown

Seems to be a bug only on the steam version of the game, or at least yesterday night it only affected me in my playgroup. My friends (using the battle.net version) saw opponents’ names normally, I (using the steam version) saw them as [unknown].

2 Likes

seconding this - been playing for a few hours today and most games have 1-2 players come up as “unknown” in chat

when I right cllick their names or pull up social, game history, or game metrics, I can see their name fine

Im on steam

3 Likes

Looks like another Steam version bug. I wonder how does that happen :roll_eyes:

Same here. This sucks, because you need to know names to report toxic players.

2 Likes

Same for me (using steam)

Same here. People on chat are “[[unknown]]” but nicks on the score tab are ok. No weird characters etc.

This annoying.

2 Likes

Same here, but I see names in chat which are not in scoreboard, would be nice to synchronize it somehow. My friend sees [[unknown]] too, both steam versions

1 Like

After almost 3 months, this is still a problem. Why hasn’t someone from OW at least acknowledge this problem and let us know that they working on it? This actually impacts gameplay when trying to figure out who is speaking and who is being toxic.

3 Likes

still an ongoing issue… It’s super frustrating knowing it’s a steam version problem… It’s also been 3 months and nobody has said anything about it. Hopefully they fix it soon.

1 Like

Same issue here. Please fix this.

1 Like

Bumping this, it’s really annoying.

1 Like

Same here, seems to be random… could it be a VPN issue?

My VPN blocks me from seeing the OW store and my credit/coin counter reads all 0’s as long as I have it on when I boot up the game.

Season 10 - the issue is still relevant (steam client)

1 Like