Placement Players SR?

Hello, I am a relatively new overwatch player but have been following the game for about a year but haven’t had the chance to play because I didn’t have a good enough computer (until now). I was just wondering when I do my placement matches will I be playing against other unranked players of any previous SR before the last season ended or others who have never done placements before. May be a confusing question but it would mean a lot to me if you responded.

The system tries to find unranked players of a similar skill level, at the end of the season this might not be possible so there is a chance you will be playing vs players that are already ranked / a higher level.

Might be best to start doing placements next season as this one is ending soon and placements games can get really wonky. Off season comp is also a nice way to get a feel for the games without losing SR.

1 Like

I would actually advise you to get used to the game first before jumping into competitive. Your first placement will be difficult to get out of so improve first, jump into comp later.
If you really have to go straight to comp wait for the next season to start.

2 Likes

Hello,

To my knowledge, your first 25 levels in quickplay will determine your rough skill level, from there, when you go to play your first competitive match you will be placed where possible with people similar skill level, and ideally they have not placed either, however that is only in a perfect situation.

As mentioned towards the end of the season like it is now, almost everybody would have placed so you’ll probably get thrown straight into games where everybody has a rank.

Note the things the match making does not care about is things like your level, so you being level 27 you might be matched with someone similar skill level 239 it doesn’t matter.

Endorsements also do not matter either.

If you have to comp history whatsoever, your first placement match will be most likely with same players - without comp history. However, based on your performance in previous matches, you may get other kinds of opponents.

Your qp till 25 is more important than the placement itself. I played a second account and I noticed that about level 20 or so I’ve been playing with plats or low diamonds. And when I did my first placement I play with plats, and it went a lil bit up and down by each loss or win… My last game I went against a bunch of plats and low diamonds but I actually nudged my cable that I dced and placed in mid plat.

You say that like you know that’s the reason you placed mid plat.

Maybe if I won that I would have been a bit higher… :stuck_out_tongue:

Related to this… Is there a particular time that’s best for placement matches? By “time” I mean “first day of the new season” or “one week after the start of the season” or something like that.

I’m sure you would…just wanted to make sure you weren’t one of those “I got a disconnect that’s why I placed silver instead of GM” types :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Depending on rank I would avoid queueing very early in the morning or very late at night. Other than that I have never really noticed a difference in game quality.

So first day or last week or whatever Imo it really doesn’t make a difference.

1 Like

nope qo has nothing to do with comp.

that’s a myth infinitely perpetuated…

you start as an empty slate, meaning around the median SR of all players which is close to 2500 usually a bit lower

New accounts

If a player has never played competitive, his initial competitive SR is around 2350 (38). For new players, MMR and SR are more volatile (35) and SR has been measured to approximately follow the formula: SR change = -3.85 * game + 99.34 (38) until about game 18. So even though everyone starts around 2350, after 18 matches, there is a wide variation in ratings. To fall to the depths of bronze, or climb the highs of top 500, requires significantly more games, however. That is, newer accounts tend to be artificially close to high gold.

1 Like

Not true. All my new accounts that I try on end up with master+ quick play matches before I even hit level 15, but every time I go into placements they start at about 2350. Your qp MMR does not matter one bit for determining the SR of your first placement match. Now whether it matters toward the actual placement value you’re given isn’t clear.

From my experience, your best bet for placing high in placements is to completely crush your first placements so that it shoots you up to diamond+ games as quickly as possible which you then want to win.

1 Like