Placed 2160, dropped to 850

Kitten never even claimed that GM players always place master on smurf :joy: Tbh i don’t really care about “I know all these GM players who placed plat” because you have no proof. It means nothing unless you can prove it

Since you’re apparently speaking for Kitten: What Kitten wrote was that most people place in Gold because most people are average.

And then followed up with (and where they’re wrong): It has nothing to do a new account.

The match-makiing relies on the MMR for QP (and Arcade ?) matches from the first 25 levels along with 10 placement matches.

How well and try-hard you played (or manipulated) for those 25 levels worth of unreportable and casual game modes determines the outcome.

So why even have placements?

1 Like

I think the placements may have more weight?

GM friend of mine started placements vs. plats and was up against diamonds by final match. I recall that he placed diamond in the end.

As to myself, I placed around season 2, when placements acknowledged by devs to be broken (Too many people in gold rank). I placed gold but dropped to 1300 as I was bloody terrible. 1.3 kd on a dps ain’t great…

People who say about players making excuses for their own failures may be right in some cases but what about the cases where you’re stuck in teams that refuse to cooperate in the slightest.

My last 2 games involved the 1st game me and one of the healers on mic, the healer getting jumped on, asking for help and being ignored by everyone but me and the 2nd game EVERYONE went DPS, I was the only one willing to switch from DPS to healer which the team needed and then all I got was abuse for not being able to heal all 5 idiots who were charging in and splitting up all over the place.

The sad fact is that the game is plagued by total idiots who drag a lot of good players down with them because it’s a TEAM game and just 1 good player can’t carry the entire team.

They need to bring a far greater balance to the game so that good players who have been dragged down can climb and bad players who’ve just been constantly carried fall.

At least 70% of my games involve teams like I mentioned in my above post, I’m not gonna talk big and pretend I’m someone who can play at master or grand master level because I’m not but I am definitely better than bronze rank.

I just don’t get enough teams that are prepared to work together and cooperate like they should and seeing as I rarely get more than 10SR per win and lose at least 20SR for a loss how am I ever meant to climb to the rank that is actually suitable for my level of skill?

Post a vod of one of your games.

You may also need to change heroes. PBSR is utterly bonkers in my experience. I switched off Mercy and onto Torb and got twice as much SR for doing half as much work.

Incorrect. Your very first placement match doesn’t use anything at all (not QP, not Arcade, not Practice vs AI). You just get thrown in at the median.

JAKE had a fresh account tryharding in QP until level 25, so he was taking on Masters/GMs by then, and this was his very first placement.

Also, a bunch of stuff was compiled into this topic:

1 Like

I’ll tell you why.

To get a chess rating you need to get at least 1 win. Makes sense right? Anyone can loose as much as they want, but you won’t get a rating until you win at least one game.

Now take Overwatch. Is it possible for 6 gold and 1 bronze to defeat a team of 6 golds? Sure it is.

So maybe you shouldn’t get a rating after 10 matches, only 10 wins.

1 Like

Its pretty easy to find mistakes in others play. But if you wanna improve you need to find your own mistakes. Now thats a task. Are you up to it or wanna be bronze for ever?

2 Likes

Play what you’re good at. Force it if necessary. I think the concept of flex or filler is ok IF you are equally skileld in the needed roles. I don’t see a reason to flex/fill a role you’re bad in or if you (think that) are better in a already fileld role.

1 Like

Huh.

I could’ve sworn there was a blue post on the old forums, but it looks like it was always speculation. I learned something today.

That said I don’t know if I like the seed value being 2500. I’m probably the ONLY person who thinks it’s better if everyone starts at Bronze initially.

1 Like

This is so true. I fing hate when someone goes tank for example and has 0 idea how to play a tank. I rather have 3 dps than 2-2-2 with a trash tank. And they usually are toxic about it too.

First placement is honestly broken. I have seen so many people placed wrong, including some of my alt accounts.

Its basicly luck based. Every other placement in next season after your initial placement is heavily MMR/performace based. But initial placement is heavily focused on win or loss. So you can be easily placed in gold/plat even if you play absolutly horribly just because you won 8,9,10/10 placement games.

Every new account should start in bronze by default.

Or make the placements more accurate. Make the 25 levels of qp mean something if they want to. But only use last 25 or so levels. So utter noobs playing whatever and dive in at level 25 go in bronze (Unless with amazing fps skills) and players that play qp a bit more and settle on a favoured hero after a few more levels have a better starting seed position.

I haven’t read all of the comments. Just
Wanted to point out to the OP. My buddy who is typically around a 3800 player purposely tried to to create an account to ace really low and literally played like a bot the whole quick play and 10 placements. Him literally not even trying, literally feeding most of the time, placed 1800.

Ill say right now, i hate what he did. I understand the experiment but still disagree with what he did.

That being said…he literally did nothing the whole time esnd got placed 1800… that is a huge flaw imo. I watched him feed, shoot walls, lose 10 in a row, piss people off to the max because of his bot playing, and he still got placed 1800 somehow. How is this possible? He literally played as horrible as possible on purpose and still got placed high silver? Someone thats bately trying on a new account is easily placed in gold no problem.

2 Likes

you need more wins to get a good SR, I’d say you need about 15 wins before an SR score can be handed out accurately.

Had the same experience.
When I first got the game I got mid gold.
(Xbox)

Then I hit around 900s, got better and climbed back and im now at 1900. So you can come back, but I obviously don’t deserve that placement.

Perhaps they put you as compared to other players that are average when you first start playing to see how you do and then put you where you belong. I’m a mercy main too.

1 Like

I think you start at the median SR.

so the worst overwatch player would still get like an 1800 rating even if they lost all 10 placement matches.

1 Like

Were you grouped up with anyone, early on in ow i was gold and an irl friend played his placements with me he got gold aswell but a couple of days playing by himself he dropped to like 800sr

no, I always play solo 99% of the time