Ping system in the new wheel

its quite unneeded given how the levels are designed and how the game plays out…the spaces we actually care about are too small for it to really add anything…

we should be encouraging people to use comms to be honest…

I don’t think we need a ping system in the game, at least not for OW1. We already have so much things happening on screen, I don’t want another icon.

You know, my whole thing about this “wheel”? I never use it.

I directly map my needs to a key or mouse. So, as long as the changes they are adding still allow me to map those changes, I’m good. The wheel was always annoying and slow to deal with at least for me on a PC.

Maybe it works better for console players, but I find it aggravating as hell.

There’s already a lot of audio cues in the game. A ping system would be an information overload.

In its best form it would be given to a single player that everyone entrusts with it. They can be voted for and against, meaning they should be able to lose it for ping spam. Then if no one votes for anyone to get a ping, it never gets used (which is a good thing anyway).

1 Like

You ever play Republic Commando? Pinging is something similar to that.

1 Like

I’ve thought along those lines too, but the problem is that a group will 99% of the time override a smaller group or individual player. Someone within that minority may actually be the most qualified “pinger”, but if it depends on a voting basis then they are going always be outvoted.

The reverse may apply where people may discriminate against the “pinger”, especially if they are not part of their group and take that privilege away simply because they are in the minority.

I think that the best way to utilize it is to allow everyone to use it, but where you are able to “mute” your teammates’ pings if you don’t want to follow them or they are using them as a means to troll. Maybe if a player has a record of being muted by multiple random teammates, he loses his pinging privilege until his sentence is up. And if you like the pings or commands that your teammates are issuing, you simply let them keep on doing their thing.

what kind of information to be on the wheel? the maps are too small for anything reasonable , and theres already alot of audio information in the match… it will be too much…what can be in that wheel that cant be said in voice and be much clearer (who said it and you can easy distinguish it from in game sounds)

Hero 33 confirmed.
I am a junho main.

There’s no way a ping system would work in Overwatch with multiple people. Having a team of people all giving different information with their pings would destroy the game. Some information can be relayed over a microphone. Whatever we use the tool for, it should be preemptively decisive. That is why it will only work with one person on the team.

Personally, I’d first try it as an option just for supports. Supports usually have the best views of the whole fight and need to know where everyone is at more than the other roles. Seems natural that they’d have the pings.

2 Likes

I don’t think that would be a good idea either for most people, as you say that would be stimulus overload. However, the player should have control over who he wants to follow so if he thinks even ONE person pinging is too distracting he can opt for nothing, or if he plays in the OWL on a day where all his teammates have strep throat and he is capable of handling all the visual feedback - to let him follow all 5 of his teammates if that’s what he really wants and is capable of doing.

I agree that a ping system in Overwatch is much harder to pull off than in Apex for all the same reasons Jeff Kaplan mentioned in his post awhile back, but based off his most recent post in this thread, I’m not putting it past them either to come up with an elegant solution that might possibly involve multiple teammates, perhaps letting different roles (or even heros) have their own types of pinging.

Like Jeff said they’re still trying, so it’s not just an idea. But he does make it sound difficult, so yes it is possible too that after all this testing they conclude that it’s simply not feasible for their game.

Unless they make those pings nearly impossible to see, multiple pings would be too distracting. We’re talking visual clutter and information overload. If you make it so pings don’t edge-wrap, they will never be seen because the player has to look for them. If they do edge-wrap, then it becomes visual clutter on the screen. Multiple hero pings will not work.

Okay, if you are so adament that it won’t work even though Jeff himself says they are working on something, then the only thing left is for both of us to wait and see how that something materializes.

I would rather do without, but if people feel it is necessary then it has to be limited in some way. Kaplan sounds like he hasn’t wavered much, if at all, towards the idea of pings.

I would like it. Aural queues are important for me. The problem isn’t too much going on at once, it’s the white noise(and visual mess) that are objectionable. Get rid of the mess but add information. If I could select which information(like whose pings) I wanted, it would be perfect.

For example, I would mute Genji.

1 Like

Just make it so you can ping enemies. With no voice comes its impossible to let your team know you spotted an enemy flanking.

1 Like

NO, A ping system is awesome for MASSIVE maps like battle royale games, it is plain op in games with small maps like OW.

Being able to say some1 is flanking is one thing and where u saw them, however literally pinging their exact location is broken in a game like this.

The only communication I care about adding is “focus fire on X”

more like useless on small maps where everyone can already see all the info they need if they would only pay attention, but the noobs always want to blame something external instead of focusing on improving themselves.

1 Like

Here u go