Phone number requirement is fundamentally racist

i hate the change too but it aint racist :grinning:

I’ve played Warzone and didn’t have any requirement for a phone, but I also have CoD, and it’s supposed to come with it. (but I also haven’t played Warzone for a while, since godzilla thing)

But I had NO idea about this non pre-paid (sms) requirement until I tried to play MW2 beta. Frustrating.

Then I looked at what they said and I was like um, is this going to be implemented on OW2? Am I going to be losing OW to play? Yep.

Crazy.

Yep, Basically the argument is, if there is a higher percentage of white peeps on plans which Blizzard accepts than other groups, then they have made a racist filter.

Not actually a crazy conversation to have at all.

2 Likes

Don’t go too deep on this, I personally think the intention of it was valid, it’s the execution that’s not right overall. Weither they have privacy issues or not is a whole topic of its own, main problem is that there is an alienated % of the existing playerbase that won’t be able to boot OW2 on october 4th, and their friends likely won’t be entitled to play without them.

This is massive repercusions that will have damaging effects through the long term if kept as is.

the sociologist has entered the building

Here’s the happy medium: there will be smurfs and we should accept it, particularly if the alternative is forcing people to divulge their phone numbers to a company that has some history in regards to having no sense of boundaries where their customers’ privacy is involved. You’ve got people talking about buying burner phones just to play OW2… the solution is way worse than the problem.

PoC don’t/can’t get cell phones? Surely you jest? All my friends and family (PoC) have them and it’s not a problem. This seems like a specious argument.

interesting takes from this thread:

People don’t understand why the underlying premise of this thread is based in truth.

People actually don’t get how poverty works and it’s causes.

4 Likes

You mean depressing takes from the thread.

I’m not surprised about peoples takes, but yeah.

This is VERY adjacent to some issues in machine learning.

2 Likes

The happy medium is way easier than that and hurts no one. OW1 accounts in good standing should be grandfathered in and not require SMS verification, period.

It would mean that anyone who put their time and money into supporting the game for up to 6 years does not get the shaft, and any newcomers to the F2P offering have a bar to pass to help prevent problems in the community.

Worst case scenario is a troll or smurf, etc. that has multiple OW1 accounts. Well if and as they each get banned they cannot be replaced without meeting the new requirement. What is the problem?!

2 Likes

Damn, I didn’t do I was rich just by being white, where’s my free money?

The only thing racist is this OP. Reported for trolling.

1 Like

Why are you trying to cancel the OP?

1 Like

Ok, now are ya’ll convinced that OW 2 cancel culture is a thing?

(In b4 people say “it’s only this guy!”)

It is only this guy. Been on the forums all night. The fact that you recognized it yourself enough to ironically point it out “first” is evidence enough.

Honestly if Blizzard is going to shaft me this hard I hope the game fails for everyone.

Define cancel culture

1 Like

That’s even more outrageous just learning such now. That don’t even make any sense whatsoever.

Contact Cricket and say

Hey, just gimme the VOIP free Phone number instead

I mean some have reported that their respective Prepaid have indeed qualified for Verification so. Worth a shot?

VOIP doesn’t work either, or its not supposed to, but thanks for brainstorming.

The other problem is then I’d have to change anything linked to my number. 2FA of things, bank account, etc. What a hassle.

By that do you mean that they have AI bots that will just go on forums and post racist comments like this? Because, they do, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was one of them.

I know. That’s why I was thinking tell Cricket to take that Number and every other VOIP # and tell them to just give you a Prepaid / Postpaid equivalent number if possible instead. Is what I meant.

Contacting Cricket cannot be any worse atm than contacting Blizzard Ticket Support. Serious hassle indeed. I get that.

1 Like