Phone number requirement is fundamentally racist

I guess blizzard only wants white people to play Overwatch. Because this requirement is going to purge POC, underrepresented and marginalized groups that don’t have the means or ability to have a cell phone.

But I guess I should not be surprised they have proven themselves to be a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

33 Likes

POC: Person of color.

Not Proof of concept.

In case anyone is as lost as I was.

6 Likes

I agree with OP I’m not a fan of this change

6 Likes

Oh you poor thing… you made your first thread and its trolling… nice try though, almost got me

24 Likes

And…immediately flagged! Lol.

Should’ve brought a stop watch.

5 Likes

I understand the frustration and I wish there was a happy medium between discouraring smurfing/alting while allowing everyone, regardless of financial means, to play the game.

But I don’t think this is as much of a race issue as you are making it, although I will acknowledge there is a layer of it in the discussion.

Also, as a non-white person, I don’t really like being categorized as “minority”. I’d rather be referred to as “underrepresented” or “marginalized” if you want to go that route.

8 Likes

Yeah because it’s only POC and minority groups that are struggling to have a cell phone. What a racist thread. I’m not white and can play OW just fine. I even have a cell phone, imagine that.

20 Likes

My post has been flagged so I am unable to edit it to change it, but thank you for letting me know.

2 Likes

Appreciate the consideration. Like I said, I think there is a layer of discussion about marginalization that this whole thing can cause. Although I think your OP was a smidge on the exaggerated side, I still think there’s that layer and that is worth a discussion.

Agreed it’s very much a violation of our privacy and quite frankly immoral.

3 Likes

Pretty racist to assume anyone who isn’t white is too poor or too dumb to get a cell phone.

29 Likes

For a game company that has been promoting accessibility to everyone, this phone SMS verification surely doesn’t wall people from playing the game. SURELY, everyone can play this game with anyone, so long you got a phone KEKW

They’re disconnected with the playerbase more than ever, I might lose about 10 to 20% of my friends due to that in the process. They won’t play OW again and they are the only ones that still play atm.

They need a brand new pair of glasses after that garanteed.

4 Likes

People can’t use VOIP lines either? My phone is from Comcast VOIP service. So I can’t use that number to play overwatch ? My primary phone line is not good enough? Blizzard has lost their way.

Companies only cares about the people spending money in their game. And by “care” I mean searching for new ways to milk them.

5 Likes

I am tired of people always assuming, that all white people are just always priviliged and rich and all…
I grew up in a poor family and didn´t have most stuff other kids had - including phone or PC for a very long time. -_-

4 Likes

For all my complaints with this system, I think calling it racist might be a bit much.

6 Likes

These posts are getting more ignorant by the day.

4 Likes

Yeah because these same “underprivileged” people with a computer, internet, and time to game can’t buy a phone.

What an absurd take OP :joy:

1 Like

Why do you assume that only poc cannot afford cell phones

2 Likes

“All white people have cell phones and carriers, all black people have burner phones and prepaid”

is that really the topic you’re gonna make right now? I don’t like the phone requirement either but this topic kinda sussy weird

7 Likes