Phone number required?

Do you honestly believe that your phone number isn’t already out there?

2 Likes

Same thing CSGO does, I believe.

Do you have to reverify your phone from time to time or can you just set it up once and be done with it? I never played any of the other blizzard games that had this feature.

1 Like

Typically you only have to reverify if Blizzard detects activity to suggest you are on a new device (to prevent your account from being stolen)

6 Likes

Which Overwatch wasn’t. And still isn’t. But thanks all the same for the heads-up, the majority of the playerbase will leave to make way for the fat-walleted yobbos the devs want to attract.

I’m wondering if this will be required of people who own OW1.

They are addressing smurfing finally. :raised_hands:t6:

1 Like

Just because warzone doesn’t restrict it to one account per number does not mean OW2 won’t. Let us dream :sob:

So you have a PC, but don’t have a cellphone capable of receiving a simple sms XD

This doesn’t sound like a money issue, this seems like an issue with some individual’s logic.

Maybe spend a small amount of cash on a phone (which is kind a necessity these days) before buying a pc. Synonymous with people that would eat out every other night and then complain that they don’t have cash for tp.

1 Like

A person who knows what they’re doing can do far more damage with your phone number than they can with your credit card.

maybe it’s the same with him as with me, i have 1 phone at home. don’t need an extra 1 for on the go with additional costs that I don’t use

2 Likes

yup. also i guess they think nobody gets gifts anymore? they buy all their own things. even when you might be some kid w no job.

1 Like

OW2 going F2P was itself a surprise to many, so the combination is definitely a huge surprise to a lot of people.

The idea that you’d have to have a phone attached to your account to play a game you played for years without that requirement is also pretty dirty if accounts that purchased OW1 aren’t exempt from the requirement.

Them not really announcing the change and people finding out via a requirement listed on a store page is exceptionally terrible PR on their part as well.

This doesn’t affect me personally, but it would be wrong of them to prevent any existing OW players from playing OW2 without a phone linked. Hopefully they’ll clarify that’s not the case.

If you don’t need a phone while you are out and about then that is completely different from not being able to afford a cheap phone and sim.

That being said you are an outlier. Very few people use a phone at home only. I would recommend getting a cheap cellphone for when you are not at home. What do you do if you have transport failure or a medical emergency?

This has been in the pipeline for quite some time and most of us here have known for quite a long time already that OW going F2P was eventually going to happen.

The only ones that are surprised by this are the ones that have not been paying attention.

So i was skeptical about this phone number requirement to play OW2 and on my mind i thought i won’t be able to play OW2. Then i realized i use postpaid number and decided to give it a shot.

It recognized the number, the notification appeared on my phone and everything went smoothly than i expected.

1 OW2 problem solved for me, now its time to face a dozen more problems (battlepass content and pricing, matchmaking, anti-cheat, progress, etc) and the beta 2 access.

That’s nice, but the numerous threads of surprised players essentially proves that the phone requirement was a surprise.

The reaction threads to it going F2P also show that wasn’t expected by many. The fact that OW2 when originally announced was not announced as a F2P game also likely contributed to that announcement being a surprise to a lot of people.

2 Likes

kind of sucks that a game ppl paid for for yrs gets F2P restrictions when to them it was paid game.

Just make a system that tags current owners of OW1 so they are excluded.

Wouldnt be hard (could be made in a weekend).

1 Like

I think this is a surprise yes. It has however been something that has been widely requested by many as means to deter smurfing and hacking. It is a welcomed addition to the game. If you only have one phone in the household then it is still a non issue unless multiple people in your house play OW.

These are mostly from newish forum users that haven’t been following OW2 news, the forums or content creators.

Those who are active here and actually keep up with OW news knew this was coming for quite some time.

They didn’t learn from, this or they’ve yet to realise after all these years that the T500 is actually T100