Penalties for leaving?

I recently got a 20h suspension for inactivity in the 2nd round of a game as I had to leave my PC to take care of an emergency. This is the 1st time I have “actively” been inactive in an ongoing game.
I have however been inactive in the beginning of games when I didn’t notice the game had started and thus been kicked by the system (I believe my last suspension was 15 min?).
I am kind of stumped by the large penalty out of nowhere and have been searching for answers, without much success.

My questions are these:
1. What are the different increments of suspension penalties, and how do you decrease them once you reach a higher number (of penalties)?

2. Is the penalty for leaving a game halfway through (no match reset) the same as being inactive in the very beginning (match reset)?

3. Where can I see the actual reason for a suspension?

If possible I am looking for official answers to the question if they exist (haven’t been able to find any).

Level 1 - 15 minutes
Level 2 - 60 minutes
Level 3 - 8 hours
Level 4 - 20 hours
Level 5 - Season Ban

Level of leaver status can be lowered by playing 11 competitive games. I hope it is still same, I am not 100% if this wasnt changed after leaver penalities patch too.

If you have for example level 2, you need to play 22 games without leaving to be again at level 0. I didnt test this at level 4 tho as I wasnt that far :slight_smile:

If you have level 5, you are obvioulsy screwed and you will be able to play next comp season, unless you had seasonal ban before. In that case you can be banned from comp forever.

Unless you come back in 2 minutes and game is still going on, you wont get leaver penalty. Other than that, it doesnt matter if you AFK out at start of the game or leave in the middle.

Nowhere, reason for your suspensions are obviously occasions of you being afk or leaving games. If you queue for match, be ready to play dude, stop being afk…

3 Likes

Thanks for a great informative response. Do you know if this information is officially stated either in-game or on the blizzard website? Or is the only mention of leaver penalties in the individual changelogs?

1 Like

I dont think it is officialy stated, maybe its somehwere but I dont honestly know. These informations are pretty much observed and tested facts :slight_smile:

There was patch regarding to changes to penalties to make them more severe. But even there I could not find the times.