PC cant push over 150 FPS

Id set it to gpu to see if it makes a difference

I tried it without the OC, and I lost a few frames ~10 so I mean if I’m trying to get every bit of preformence out of my PC why not

What is your disk usages?

The only think I can think of is background software. Are your virus scanner / malware scanner running in the background?

If there is 100% disk usages, check if windows update is downloading stuff in the background, etc.? They may also be installing updates, using your cpu as well.

Ok, I did. Going to go try that right now

So as soon as I get into the Hero select my CPU is still @90% usage
But my GPU is now running at about 50%

I’m out of ideas, except to restart pc to apply all the changes maybe

Hello Shanx,

Have you considered reducing your Render Scale?
Also, don’t mind me asking, what monitor are you using and the resolution you are gaming at?

This thread may be of some reference for you.

All settings are at Low, My resaolution is at 1080x1920. And my Render Scale is at 75%. And I am using the Alienware AW2518HF 24.5" FreeSync Gaming Monitor, 1920 x 1080, 240 Hz.

Thanks for replying.
I assume that you have already overclocked your Alienware monitor and that you are running at native 1920x1080 resolution. You can consider reducing Render Scale down to 50% and see if there is any increase in frame rates.

CPU running at 100% is probably due to some background app running. A look at task manager CPU % usage would yield some information.

If the GPU is running at less than 60%, it just means that OW is not taxing the GTX 1080 much.

Render Scale just increases the quality of the visuals, so dropping it to 50-60% is not a big deal but may increase your frame rates.

So I just played one more game with the settings you suggested, and now the FPS highly fluctuates. Between 210FPS and about 160FPS. So I gained a few. Also the Disc usage stayed below 1% the entire time. So I’m out of ideas too.

@silenthill I will try that, and as far as I can tell my CPU is mainly being used by Overwatch, As I stated before though, I did manage to get my CPU usage to about 90%, about 80% of the usage is from Overwatch it’s self, and the other 10% just being from Window’s applications (Ex. Desktop Manager etc.)

And yes I do have them Monitor bound at 240

In the Video Options, have you tried to set Frame rates to be Monitor Bound?
When i set that to unbound, i can get framerates as high as 300 on my RTX 2080 but of course, all those extra framerates are not realised on the monitor.

I’ve been told this is probably Vertical Sync doing it. OW tells me I CAN get upwards of 120fps, but due to my monitor being only 60hz, I only really see 60fps, and I’ve noticed it drops, hard capping at 30fps from time to time. I still haven’t figured out what is doing it, but it seems to be getting better.

Anyways, have you tried turning vsync off?

Yes I do Have V-Sync off

Something is wrong with your CPU man I would check that, if I didn’t cap my FPS to 150 it would go straight up to the ingame cap of 250 or 300 or whatever it is and my CPU isn’t overclocked.

My CPU isn’t running @ 100% either.

@silenthill I will try that, and as far as I can tell my CPU is mainly being used by Overwatch, As I stated before though, I did manage to get my CPU usage to about 90%, about 80% of the usage is from Overwatch it’s self, and the other 10% just being from Window’s applications (Ex. Desktop Manager etc.)

And yes I do have them Monitor bound at 240

I’d check in the nvidia control panel to make sure that Overwatch specific settings aren’t overriding vsync being turned off by the game.

In the menus its capped at 60, In loading screens 300 and about 20% usage. But ingame 90% usage and about 160-210 FPS now

And the NVidia Control Panel has VSync off

Wait. I just realised that you mentioned that your monitor is the FreeSync model and you are running a GTX 1080.

Therein may lie the issue. FreeSync monitor work better with ATi/Radeon GPUs and NVidia GPUs do not support FreeSync, only GSync monitor. Hence, that could explain your frame rate fluctuations.

Maybe effect the Display and how many it can push. But that shouldn’t effect the amount of frames the actual PC can push right?

I’ve just checked my CPU, ingame training stage it’s running between 5-25% lol, almost nothing actually.

I have almost everything on low and 100% render scale.

Yes, in effect, your PC can push more but because of FreeSync and GTX 1080 incompatibility, you may not get stable frame rates.