PC cant push over 150 FPS

I have a GTX 1080 and an I5 7600K OC @5.1 Ghz, and my PC can’t run Overwatch over 150 FPS, and it commonly dips below 100 FPS when in battles. I don’t know the issue. My CPU usually runs at 100% usage, and my GPU stays below 30% usage. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also one thing I forgot to mention. I play with all settings at low, with Render Scale @75%. I also have Reduced buffering on and play in full screen.

Post in techical support. Overwatch is pretty CPU heavy. You can play the game with a potato GPU so I’d say it’s something to do with your cpu. How in the world can you even notice anything above 100fps?

1 Like

IDK, If you’ve ever played with anything above 60, you’ll notice a huge jump from 60 to 100. Also my monitor supports up to 240 refresh rate, but I can’t push that with my Computer acting like a potato Lol. Also thank you for the help :smiley:

1 Like

For what purpose? ----

2 Likes

Its very noticeable. I was amazed going from just 100 to 120… big difference… hunt around, 60 fps is quite low in reality and you cannot track nearly as easily as high fps.

I’m no expert or anything, and I’m 100% sure OW’s performance got worse with each update (I used to get about 30fps more a few months ago).

But it’s certain that there’s a problem, I’m with 1070 and Ryzen 1600 and I use mostly high settings with some low, but my fps never dips below 130.

I’d say look into your pc, something seems wrong. Maybe drivers?

3 Likes

If the cpu is at 100% usage. That’s your answer. The CPU is too slow to produce more then what you’re getting. At 100% it is doing as much as it possibly could as quickly as it possibly could. The gpu is at 30% cause it’s waiting on the CPU

Either overclock it more (idk if that’s an option) or upgrade it.

In short CPU is issue. Could be throttling, or just could be too slow.

3 Likes

Check your CPU temp. It might be throttling. Also check for crypto miners with anti-virus. i5-7600 is more than enough for the game, it is a software problem

4 Likes

What’s your memory size and speed? You can check it in Task Manager -> Performance.

Do you have a 144Hz or 120Hz monitor OP? Else its completely pointless to go above 60FPS.

No way you’re getting that low fps… I run OW on my laptop with a desktop i5 7500 and GTX 1070 and I get 200+(300 in training room) FPS easily at low, 100% render.
Shouldn’t be getting 100% CPU usage either.
Try reverting the OC maybe.

Yeah that looks ultra fishy.

You either have some background program/app that is draining your CPU, a virus or you are literally using an integrated GPU instead of the one you have in the PCI-E slot.

For a more scientific answer: People can usually distinguish subtle differences up to around 120 fps, a trained eye (eg. people who game a lot) can sometimes even notice subtle difference up to around 200-220 fps. However, people claiming they see big differences above 60-80 fps are usually just falling for what’s essentially a placebo effect. The brain has no use in distinguishing between such high framerates, so even if the eye can (which they’re not sure), the brain will just ignore it.

Check if you have a Memory ram in dual-channel 2400 mhz +. Single channel-rams bottleneck the FPS a lot in this game. Also be sure your game is on 100% res scale. You can’t get 200 FPS on ultra and 150% resolution

Careful of websites using your pc to mine cryptocurrency without your permissions. There are now a lot of streaming website that are doing this.

For more information, google “cryptocurrency malware”.

Unless you are benchmarking, it’s questionable as to why your CPU usages is at 100%. Normally it will spike that high while loading, but after that, it usually hangs around 50-80%. For example, I barely meet the minimum requirement for playing Monster Hunter World, and when I play it, my CPU usages is usually about ~54%.

I have a 240Hz Monitor

I’m surprised no one mentioned this.

2 things to check.

Make sure you plugged your monitor into the graphics card output, not the output your motherboard may have.

In Nvidia control panel, make sure the processing is set to your graphics card and not the cpu.

Soooo, I just tried booting my system with Xmp, and I noticed a ~30 FPS increase. Also noticed my CPU usage drop by about 10% not sure if it’s a memory Speed bottleneck. My Ram speeds are 2400 mhz (16 Gb Dual Channel) Should I attempt adjusting the Ram Speeds and timing?

god…is this what pc people whine about?..

I wouldn’t think ram would affect it that much, I run 16gb of 3000mhz.

Make sure both ram sticks are working in cpuz and that you put them in the correct slots to run dual channel? I assume you read the motherboard manual to see which slots to use.

Edit: with game running, open task manager to see what process is using 100% of your cpu usage