Patch Notes for October 21st Experimental Card w/ Video

Then please, I think what we really need is some kind of lore drop before then end of Oct.

Like when Zarya was teased with a weightlighting champion poster. (If I recall correctly.)

Honestly don’t really care who it is or what, could even be just Zen having coffee…somehow.

1 Like

The comments about this patch don’t look better on Reddit btw.

2 Likes

Read this, balance change suggestions starts at page 68. It was a while since i started it, so it was before some patches where released, but generally everything still applies. Just add dots at the spaces and after google and the link should work.

docs google com/document/d/1T46wXXKBb-o1iv-g-3hSrg8FfjBDrztlhKKfPMSIZno/edit?usp=drivesdk

Why do I feel like devs gave us an experimental with stuff that could be planned for OW2. :eyes:
If that’s the case, they should do it often.

In OW2, Mcce and other DPS will turn super saiyan blue.

Well, okay then. We’ll do the qualitative stuff.

Honestly not really sure what the goal is here.

What the idea here?
To reduce spam annoyance? Then my above solutions cover that.
Is it about how how much barrier damage he does at range, maybe… But he’s only doing a little bit more than a Soldier or Baptiste.
Or missing the point about “ranged tank buster” considering you can just sidestep it at range.
Or Tracer counter?

Just overall the 150 damage seems like it will hit a lot more abuseable breakpoints. (I.e. 195 damage with a damage boost being a hairs breadth from 200) And make Tanks a bit more miserable in the brawl portion of the fight.

And to be honest, it comes off as a bit weird with trying to attract more Tank players. And abilities like Echo Beam and StormArrow are already on track to be nerfed.

Doesn’t seem right to raise up that burden on tanks even higher. Because they might maintain a barrier a bit longer, but get more easily blown up on the objective fight.

Additionally it you land a long sick shot and only come up with a wimpy 78 damage. That’s gotta be infuriating to Junkrat players that have learned proper arc aiming and prediction.

If anything, devs should just block a second Tank pick of Rein/Orisa/Sigma. Just disallow doublebarrier entirely.
And start porting in a bunch of Tank changes and anti-tank changes that were due for OW2.

Also if the goal was to be the barrier thing. I thought OW2 was trying to equalize the potential of non-barrier tanks and barrier tanks. So seems odd to get rid of a ranged barrier busting thing.

Somewhat of a tangent below.

Such as the StormArrow/EchoBeam nerfs, and FanTheHammer nerfs (I.e. Slap a cooldown on it). Or the reduced Ult charge feeding.

Additionally it comes off a bit tone deaf with buffing McCree when he’s been so powerful.

And yes, this is probably in preparation for the upcoming Flashbang/FanTheHammer spam nerfs.

But you’d think they should start giving us some of those sooner. (I.e. The easy one, just slap a 3-5sec cooldown on FanTheHammer)

Additionally, if you really want to get some emotional good will from Tank players and others. Reduce storm arrows to 3 already.

Also I gotta be doing something right, considering I was speculating explosives falloff not that long ago.

Soldier is clearly overtuned - #12 by GreyFalcon-11737

Overall, it’s appreciated that they are trying to get Junkrat to a higher skill ceiling, and higher skill floor position. Just less annoying overall.

But this doesn’t seem like a good fit for that.

If anything it makes Junkrat haters unhappy, it makes Junkrat lovers unhappy, and it makes Tank players unhappy.

But the effort is appreciated.

But maybe put this halfbaked idea back in the oven, and get something that fits the goal better, with fewer negative side effects.

TLDR;

• Something that involves buffing Junkrat projectile size before bounce. Back up to what it used to be. Extra damage isn’t needed. Make it so hitting direct-hits without a bounce is rewarded.
  • Nerf Fan The Hammer, Storm Arrows, and Echo Beam please, sooner than later. Even if that means other changes are needed.
  • Worst comes to worst, if the goal is to cut his anti-barrier potential just make it so that explosives are worse against barriers. Maybe make it so beams are stronger against barriers.
3 Likes

torb is… ok i guess, tho it feels like it could be too strong.
Moira is a good change, but it feels too little
air combat roll is good i want that. Dunno if deadeye really needed the buff.

Junkrat… i can understand the idea behind the changes, but this is buffing what he’s already good at and nerf what tskes most skill, that is air shots.
I’d keep more direct less aoe and leave it at that. He doesnt need falloff or extra damage

Are the McCree buffs only there to distract at how awful the other heros changes are?

You guys REALLY hate tanks, don’t you?

1 Like

I’m not taking care to avoid hyperbole tbh,

I just want you guys to actually know that Pharah, in fact, exists,

and maybe you should touch her more than once every 2 years :laughing: :pensive:

I’m going to need a visualisation of how quick this is to kill a squishy. because the time to reach the kill stage for a 200hp squishy is already quick when one considers which part of the ult cue is actually audible.

i.e. rn, when mccree’s ult cue is most audible (esp in a fight) is when he says “high”, and watch when a 200hp becomes killable (spoiler: literally when he says “high”)

Junkrat buffs need to go, they are awful

Punishing skilled junkrats with falloff

To my knowledge, this is the first time a projectile has falloff

Why you trying the mccree mid air roll?

We tried it out and it wasnt needed, and again its not needed today

1 Like

Hey everyone, I have now included a video showing the raw changes between Live and Experimental

6 Likes

There’s a lot of criticism over this Experimental, so on a more positive note I’d like to say that I like the two ammo change for Torb’s RMB. Obviously I’m enjoying more frequent Overloads as well, but I am nervous that that particular buff might be a little bit too much. If I had to pick one buff or the other, I’d take the ammo one.

Not a huge fan of any of these buffs. Junk and Torb buffs will shred tanks even more. McCree buff will make him counter the things he counters even harder. And the Moira change while the least offensive isn’t the change she needs and doesn’t fix the issues she has.

1 Like

ok, the mccree ult change isn’t as bad as the cynical side of me was thinking… but it’s as bad as the realistic side of me was thinking.
basically as soon as a 200hp hero hears “high” from the cowboy’s ult cue they’re already dead. in other words, 200hp heroes are realistically dead by the time they actually hear the ult cue.

Ty for the visualisations :heart:

1 Like

torb melts dive tanks even more, mccree is now undiveable, junkrat does ridiculous damage at close range. All 3 of these ensure the only usable tanks will be orisa sigma sit 10 miles back so you don’t get killed in 3 milliseconds by overpowered dps

3 Likes

Personally, I think McCree in the current game is in quite a strong state, I constantly switch onto him because I think he is the most consistent dps hero. He is a hitscan who has decent burst potential in most parts of the current maps, but on top of that he has a stun and 225hp which makes him a great duelist against flankers and helps fight divers.

I really don’t see why he would need the ability to roll in mid air at all, aside from the specific scenario against doom and ball (btw I think his stun more than compensates against them) it allows him to access many new high grounds or spend less time getting to them.

I honestly don’t see why deadeye needed a buff, I think its a relatively weak ultimate but the compensation is that the hero is really strong and consistent in the neutral fights.

With Torb, I think he is in a decent state at the minute, I don’t think he needs any buffs, maybe some adjustments but not straight buffs.

I don’t hate the Junkrat change, but maybe some tweaking overall.

Finally, Moira orb changes. I think adjusting it for the healing orb is a good change, I don’t think its as good for the damage orb, personally, its annoying enough to deal with without it now sticking with you even harder. But I am open to seeing the impact more closely.

Overall, I think with torb and mccree buffs you would think we are in a hard dive meta with some more anti-dive type heroes getting buffs, moira is decent against dive and the heal orb change benefits that. But the game isn’t in a state where dive is really the strongest style of play…

Having played experimental games and being a main tank player, without hyperbole, let me say this:

One of the worst things to experience as a tank player is to have a DPS not be afraid of just walking up to you and deleting you faster than you can even put them to half health (When I play shield tank, I prefer to play Orisa - her damage isn’t scary.)

I am sure a lot of main tank players will tell you all about frantic attempts to shield dance simply because burst damage just reaches bad levels, especially if it’s something like a pocketed Hanzo or McCree or a lone Reaper, Doom, or a Torb on Overload. I’m not good, but that feeling of helplessness is even worse. It feels like you can’t even do your basic job.

This patch does nothing but make Torb and Junkrat even more likely to suicide right into me, with a better chance of walking away victorious than ever.

We’ve been down this road of better and better tank busters, damage has gotten dumber and dumber since GOATS was killed, and it took more than a year to even partially revert those buffs. Some never went away - but enough tank players did that 5v5 became implemented.

It doesn’t feel good. Tanking will feel worse to me, like it did in the experimental games I played. I feel less like a hulking engine of death and more like a meat pinata than ever. I love the game, but something has to give.

2 Likes

but like
A: Its not exaggerated

B: We waited 2+ months for this, and I understand attacking people isnt cool…but we need to make our vocies heard so the balance team can change (Not like change the people, but their ways and methods of balancing, because it clearly isnt working)

2 Likes
  1. It is. It 100% is. I hate this experimental aside from the Moira changes yet I can acknowledge that people saying “fire x member of the dev team” and merely complaining about “incompetence” or “disconnect” aren’t contributing to the conversation on “why is this experimental not good?”
    I can understand people’s frustration but if you can’t present your points in a nice way then you shouldn’t be contributing because your opinion won’t be considered amongst the disdain.

There shouldn’t be a ”but”
Attacking people based on bad balance patches doesn’t have a justification. Being mad does the exact opposite of making your voice heard.

5 Likes