[OW2] Would this get more Support players?

So OW2 is gonna struggle with queue times if it doesn’t get enough Support players.

A lot of Support players are feeling like they are more and more vulnerable than ever in OW2.

So maybe they fix that in a more direct way.

Dynamic Support Passive

• If there are 2 Support players on a team, each Support player gets 20% damage resistance
  • If there is 1 Support player on a team, the Support player gets 40% damage resistance
  • If there is 3+ Support players on a team, each Support player gets 0% damage resistance

Granted, obviously making a new Support hero every other week, and getting this Mercy stuff solved would go a long way too.

I think the additional problem is lack of engagement for Supports: for most, it feels like trying to keep your team alive is a losing battle. Sure, they could DPS, but that’s just worse Damage hero.

Supports need either survivability or better utility to become engaging again, since healing is out of the question.

1 Like

While this sounds nice in theory, in practice it’ll just make us healer mains get insta-dived even worse /:

They need to make healing worth a damn, fun and fair. Like ALL healers need to have a fair to shake at getting a card/POTG cause that really boosts some people at endgame.

It’s so hard to do that when you die every 30sec cause your team couldn’t care less about you, you’re squishy as hell, and any DPS sneezing seems like it’s worth more in “OW points” than any healer ability. All while you’re usually ACTIVELY getting shat on by at least one tank or DPS that just won’t team play…

1 Like

Support players say this, but why would they nerf the healing passive if they were dying a lot? Seems like Blizzard thought they weren’t dying enough.

Plus I think player perception is a problem. For a start there’s a new DPS and Tank, so why would people not play the new heroes? Then people talk about unfun Supports, when I’d say it depends which Support, and of those, I think only two of those lack real play making abilities, and one of those is getting changed later in the beta, so really you’re just complaining about Mercy, and what’s new there? Just play anyone but her when the game releases.

Just throw them a 2X xp buff to the battle pass or something.

With only one tank and a overwhelming horde of dps exclusive, ninja obsessed brainlets they’re always going to be the least queued role. Besides Mercy they all play really well.
Most dps players are just never going to play anything but dps no matter what incentive you offer them.

You can lead a Genji to water, but unfortunately you just can’t kick him down the well.

1 Like

Remove 5v5 and replace it with 6v6 and improve upon that. That’s what this game should have been anyway. That’s what it was all originally designed around from a PvP perspective. Now they’re trying to morph that into something that doesn’t fit what Overwatch is intended to be. What they have done to the game has removed the synergy between players and the rhythm of gameplay. 5v5 is to thank for that.

That is true, but also makes you wonder if they are just going to pretty much “do nothing” about the queue times issue besides maybe finally get this Mercy SuperJump done right, and release 1x new Support hero.

That is a good idea.

I like that.

I think they just don’t want to jump the gun while everyone is trying to play the new DPS and Tank. Plus, we also know they plan on changing Moira, and have changed other Supports already, even if only slightly, so they haven’t been abandoned.

Wouldn’t make me play support more fwiw. Arguably would make me play support less, if only because constantly having to adjust damage calculations and predictions would piss me off.