OW2- Worthless Role Passives

Role Passives are a misguided concept.

As the game shifts from being a tank centric moba-fps hybrid to a DPS Flanker-Fest-Bonanza the idea of universally buffing all heroes in a role becomes a horrible concept.

What gatekeeps specific heroes from viability can be broken down in a rather simplistic fashion:

#1. Inconsistent poke damage

#2. Lack of vertical mobility

#3. Lack of defensive utility

#4. Lack of burst damage

These four simple concepts outline non-meta and poorly performing heroes in the beta.

Take any one hero that exists in the game right now. The strongest heroes in the game generally possess 3 out of the 4 defining attributes, while a handful possess 4 out of 4. The weakest heroes in the game right now often sport 1 out of the 4, the very worst having 0 out of four, and some even qualifying for a 2 out of 4 (Junkrat has high burst and vertical mobility, but no personal defensive utility and zero consistency with his poke damage).

Since the game is drastically shifting in playstyle anyways, the developers should have fixated around these four concepts.

AND THEN GIVEN EVERY HERO 4/4

I mean, there’s already a myriad of heroes who possess 3 out of the 4, the most dominant heroes right now having 4 out of 4, and the absolute worst heroes in the game in desperate need of a fundamental rework centered around this ideology as they lack in multiple areas.

I understand this would essentially destroy OW, but they’re already doing that. Might as well make every hero in the game OP instead of boxing your playerbase into 7 viable heroes on a +30 hero roster.

1 Like

I think they are a great concept, and implemented on Tanks really well.

But it doesn’t seem like Supports got the correct passive.

Since all of their problems are midcombat, not during the downtime between combat.

2 Likes

I think instead of role Passives they should have done the following:

Tanks

#1. Have 50% CC immunity

#2. Every tank has a CC ability that displaces, roots, or stuns.

#3. Every tank has a defensive utility (that’s basically already a thing)

#4. Every tank has a vertical mobility ability.

DPS

#1. Every DPS has a hitscan ability/weapon to poke with.

#2. Every DPS has some form of burst damage, be it a CD or primary.

#3. Every DPS has vertical mobility ability.

Support

#1. Every support has a burst damage ability/primary.

#2. Every support has vertical mobility.

Supports already have alot of vertical mobility. Ana, Zen and Brig could all use some as well. Support as a role has really strong defensive utility so I think they really need the fewest changes with this ideology applied.

Like I said before, it stops being OW as we know it, but “balances” the game better and opens up the hero pool.

Tbh, I’d like to see something like.

Supports:

• 15hps selfheal for 1sec after healing a teammate.
  • +20% movement speed buff for damaging enemy players for 2sec

Homogenizing the game like that would be undesirable

1 Like