OW2 "Sneak Peek" (Art of Overwatch Vol.2)

Blizzard laughing their way to the bank

People still have too much faith in companies.

4 Likes

Makes me lose interest in purchasing the Overwatch: Declassified in November 1 which apparently contains a full comprehensive summary of the Overwatch story leading to OW2. They say it will contain ‘weapon schematics’ but I now bet you a good chunk of my money that we will just see Ana’s weapon blueprints from her teaser and other weapon blue-prints from the in-game sprays.

Also, I bet the history will just be the origin video’s transcripts copy and pasted, and heavily plagiarize DoctorSix’s comprehensive OW1 summary (because not even the writers bothered to actually put all the chaotic, scattered story bits together like Six has).

i REALLY hope people arent buying BECAUSE of potential OW2 news…

like the book in question in the topic is an artbook…i would assume people buy it because they like the games art…

i would hope thats not the case with the one youre mentioning

I’m not buying it for OW2 news, I’m buying it for never-before-seen weapon blueprints, and a comprehensive summary that explains the plot holes leading up to OW2’s story. If they can’t deliver that, then the book is not worthy of its expensive price tag and is a spiritual failure.

If I just get content that I can see myself by staring at sprays, tweets or by reading a dedicated fan’s plot summary, then the book is a horrible money grab and the author + Blizzard should be scolded for such low quality work.

I’m still baffled that all the story we have still doesn’t even answer the more prominent questions, even when grafted together? What even IS the Doomfist mantle? How did the destruction of the Swiss HQ occur? What was Overwatch like in its heyday when they were legally allowed to do things.

Do they really intend to tie up all these previous loose ends in OW2.0’s story? If so, that’s setting up for failure as that’s a lot of topics to cover in a detailed manner for a ~12-14 hour story (guesstimate)? That’s not even mentioning if they add MORE story elements…

2 Likes

This might answer some of your questions, as you’ve said, they have tons of plot points to tie up that are scattered chaotically.

1 Like

Oh, I already read it beforehand, but I mainly made the post as a means of conveying how scattered their lore is. Do they even have an official timeline page with all their works? I don’t remember.

The ones that interest me most are character-related: I really want to understand what makes someone a “Doomfist” as there’s been three iterations of the mantle.

Or how the Junkers or other third parties relate to the overarching narrative.

1 Like

I strongly, strongly believe that the Junkers won’t be featured at all in the first complete OW2 story arc. I don’t know if you have seen their OW2 2019 blizzcon interview, but they use the Junker’s specifically as an example for how all heroes won’t be playable or even appear in the story. Which is total bs as they can be put in as NPCs, or perhaps have their presence be known from something like junkrat traps being laid around a place he visited.

If the third parties get fleeced from the story, then I’m sorry, but they have 0 imagination then. Not everyone needs to be playable in the campaign, but everyone should have a presence of sorts.

I don’t really expect the Junkers to be major players in the overall narrative, but rather a key component to a part of the story.

For instance, let’s say Junkrat’s treasure is a component that allows for humans to understand Omnic language/code, granting them access to Omnic technology. This would explain why so many mercenaries are after Junkrat, and serve as a potential narrative as to what humans could do with Omnic technology and knowledge.

Additionally, Wrecking Ball would reunite with Winston, and while Winston wants Hammond to join him, Wrecking Ball just wants to explore the world and satisfy his own curiousity—not really caring about human-omnic relations.

2 Likes

All the stuff we have already seen just as expected. Called it.

1 Like

content creators get the super secret book!

6 Likes

Looks like it xD

Yes. They will probably do this by adding a new campaign about the past of Overwatch from formation to destruction. Hopefully free but if its an expansion I’ll get it anyways.

Nothing is new, even the OW2 Widow concept art was shown in the blizz online presentation. This is misleading marketing and Blizzard should be scolded for this.

1 Like

I don’t know, something tells me they’re just going to brush over details they should’ve already established before heading into the current story…

1 Like

If only this team spent the resources on actual game instead of all these gimmicks mr MBA intern 225 came up with.

Then you still wouldn’t get much. They just copy and pasted a huge collection of art from tweets, presentations and other obscure, public resources.

1 Like

which is still more time than would have been required to remove hlc and paris from the game and make qp better.

1 Like

I know I was not expecting much, but every word of information in here is not even close to a sneak peek, to begin with. It is entirely misleading and we should all have learned our lesson now. If an art book or any form of outside media is planned for the end of any given year, it has nothing to do with OW2s launch date at all. This further proves that we can’t use products to theorize the release of the game. Totally disappointing though.

2 Likes

This is what not interacting with your community does. They are operating like we don’t know this stuff already and haven’t known for years lol. Its not tone deafness anymore, its deliberate cluelessness.

2 Likes