OW2 has killed Doomfist

Me, upset? You got me all wrong, I’m absolutely ecstatic right now! So long have I waited for a worthy companion to converse with into the long nights and days to come. I can’t hardly contain my overwhelming bliss of it! While I’m familiar with the concept of subject matters, I do enjoy a little bit of chaotic banter, and you sir have giving me a feast upon I can satisfy my gluttony. I do sincerely adore your commitment to the subject at hand, and that begs the question? A conundrum of sort, if you will. Why me? Are you into me!? Be honest! Is it my devilishly good looks, or do you just fancy the unhinged and crazy type? I really love the way in your earlier drafts depict my MOST inner thoughts and feelings, they are so accurate it’s scary! Are you a sorcerer? Are you stalking ME!? I better put on my good lingerie if I’m going to be watch every daysome, how exciting! :clown_face:

You making me blush, I must the luckiest girl alive EVER period! :heart_eyes:

/xoxo

1 Like

Haven’t played the beta yet but from what I’ve seen this is what I’ve feared was gonna happen eventually with all the Doom haters calling for Pushfist the tank. He’s completely lost his unique high risk playstyle, and they’ve gutted the incentive for rollouts that many Doom mains spent hundreds of hours playing around with and trying to master.

RIP Doomfist. Coping with this ones been hard not sure I’ll play OW after this update goes live unless PvE turns out to be incredible.

2 Likes

I would agree with this, but would add-- I think it would feel better if empowered punched had a decay like zarya. However, maybe a shorter duration? It would be nice to be able to stack charges on punch-- maybe up to two or three. Doomfist is great at opening up the enemy team but I feel the punch damage is too low-- at least if you could stack the charges on punch you would be rewarded for staying alive longer and building up to kills. I mean hog can still walk around and kill confirm on a 6 second cool down, granted he doesn’t have the same mobility.

Or just go Orisa. She has everything rn…

1 Like

I wouldn’t say he’s any better at doing this than other tanks. A single ball roll or strategic Rein charge is way better than a Doom punch- doom punch is a non-threat, much like the rest of Doomfist right now.

I have been enjoying the new tankfist but I do think his damage needs a bit of a buff. I think either 50-75 damage for punch and wall hit or have his charge fist deal 100% more damage would make his damage feel more impactful because right now a lot of other tanks are able to output more damage than him with way less effort but all around I think his abilities as a tank feel pretty intuitive.

Completely agree. They gutted doomfist. I laid it all out in painful detail here to help people who dont play doom understand, along with how they could fix it.
They Destroyed Why People Played Doom (And How To Fix Him) - General Discussion - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

1 Like

This is one of the most self important things I have ever read on these forums, and that’s saying something. ALL he said was that Doomfist was poorly designed. Didn’t say it was hard, didn’t say…any of the nonsense about life? Like…what?

We’re on a video game forum. Discussing video games. Yeah, life is more important, but we’re on the video game forum discussing the video game?

Get over yourself.

Doom isn’t hard to counter, but a good Doom is annoying and unfun to play against. It was a less intense version of the Bastion problem: he forced the game to revolve around him too much, you just add in one shot kills and dumb rollouts.

3 Likes

Literally, watched hawk eat with doom. :man_facepalming:t6:

Agreed, I loved doomfist because hes like playin smash bros. They did a good job with his new kit, but killed him directly with massive nerfs to dps, and indirectly because his block cant even block cc.

What I need for him to be viable is air time damage back, only a maximum of 100 though. That will bring back rollouts and raise the skill ceiling again.

Tighter spread on shotguns

Way more damage on charged up fist, his name is literally doomfist and all your punch does is tickle people

Block needs a full rework. It needs to not slow you down at all, block 100% of cc and damage. Who takes a movement hero and forces them to completely stop for block.

More shields gained. Hog has 700hp and can one shot, every other tank has more hp or more armor in total then doom with max hp and max shield gain. Hes paper thin and hits like a wet noodle atm.

2 Likes

Doomfist plays nothing like a smash char.

If anything he’s Killer Instinct Jago with a Rush Down, Safe Anti-Air, and a Poking projectile that can link in combos

well that’s just not true , first you are most likely playing a doom counter before the game eve start and you know they have a doom ,70% of the heroes counter him , and even if you don’t counter him , just by having a decent tank who will cc him or defend you (bubble , DM , rock) yop can easily kill him . and about his rollouts , let alone being hard to master , because that’s beyond the point , they are very very loud and if he killed you or surprised once (which is normal , its just like getting killed by a widow that you don’t know where she is , it happens ) , you can expect him in the 2nd time , my point is , if you died to the same rollout 3 times that’s on you and on your team , at least with him you can try and kill him since he is there next to you and to your team (whether he killed you or not), but another random one shots in the game (especially hanzo) where he throws his storm and hope for the best , you are dead he is in no danger and if he missed he can just afire the next arrow no problem , with doom a simple geometry , glitch , cc , bubble or anything that interfere with your plan as a doom , you are so dead unless the enemy don’t know what they are doing , in this case most likely they will go on the forums to cry about how “OP” doom is (not talking about you here , just the amount of hate the hero gets while clearly he is bad and low to mid tier ).

1 Like

doomfist is playable in OW2. do u know why hes not playable? ana

First and foremost most of your post is about countering him and I’ll bring this up again

He doesn’t get countered by 70% of the cast he gets counteted by stuns which is like 20% of the cast, but even if he did it’s not really some huge problem, he’s just lame.

I have something like 200 hours on Doomfist. It’s probably why I’m not horribly bothered in terms of countering him. I know firsthand how to do it and I’m familiar with his movement personally. I haven’t played him much in recent months because nerfs have made him not viable for me as I’m not the best, but still.

He just isn’t fun. Dying once to him isn’t fun. People who don’t know how to deal with him think he’s OP but even if they learned it still doesn’t make him a fun matchup.

And unless I’m on support nothing I play regularly really counters him, but an unchecked competent Doom will wreck your backline like few heroes can, so he forces my hand in switching a LOT. That’s just counter picking, I know, but it’s still similar I’m Bastion that you have to by hyper vigilant about him and hero selection to some degree will revolve around him. Not as much as Bastion but it’s still there. And even if all that falls by the wayside…

He’s still annoying to play against.

1 Like

not fun to play against is not a criteria to kill a character that alot of ppl enjoy , I hate playing against hanzos that kill me with the power of rng , and I hate to play against widows who can one shot me across the map , I hate laying against orisa how unkillable she can be . the point is as long he is not breaking the game as in he is extremely op then they shouldnt touch him , because alot of ppl love him and love playing him as it is , to be completely honest all of the cast is annoying to play against if they are not countered or at least being checked , from the trashiest characters like torb sym and bastion to the most meta heros , all of the heros at some point will be annoying to play against for the simple fact that they are not countered well by you or your teammates , the only diffrence with doomfist that the majority of the player base that dont play him and dont understand struggle to understand how to counter him , its not mechanically hard to counter a doom , its just not that obvious for the players . and the game SHOULD evole and change around a good player whether he is playing doom tracer widow echo phara etc , the bastion argument you give can be implied to the whole dps cast .so they shouldve not reworked to the joke that he is right now . he was trash low tier rollout junkie and he was extremely fun and now he is a boring easy to use harmless unkillable frog

1 Like

If u want to apply science to this I could gladly prove u wrong on how u use the terminology of hardness.

But to the point, while I know Id enjoy doom as a tank, OW1 doom gives something nothing else in ow gives u. I love doom in ow1, and I can understand the pain of doom mains.

1 Like

I never said it was. That was comments about people complaining as to whether or not Doomfist is OP or hard to counter. I think a lot of people are annoyed by him, and mistake that frustration for OP.

The reason to “kill” the character is because the game has philosophically shifted away from hard CC for anyone outside of tanks and Ana, and that was about 80% of Doomfist’s kit. Blizzard had two choices: remake him into a tank, or do a 100% fresh from the ground DPS rework that people would have been upset by since it didn’t maintain really any faith to the original character.

Well, a third option would be to leave him as is but that would have been a glaring exception to the new rules and made him easily the most dominant hero in the entire game.

All told though, Doom is in a pretty good spot. His tank build is relatively faithful to his dps identity. It will of course be different because he’s in a new role, but I think he’s headed in a very positive direction. He does need help, particularly a buff to his block, but a lot of Doom players are being babies about it IMO.

1 Like

It is if the amount of aggravation that character causes vastly outweighs the amount of enjoyment it brings to the players playing them. It’s a GAME, it has to actually be fun to succeed, and its also multiplayer which means that you can’t purely design around how fun something is to play but also how fun something is to play against. That lack of consideration into how fun something is to play against was pretty much the cardinal sin of OW1 where a third of the cast is cheesy, selfish, and downright sociopathic from a gameplay standpoint. Great to play as, horrific to play against. I’m glad they’re fixing that crap for the sequel (or whatever we’re calling it).

Please, @Blizzard, read that post.

90% damage resistance is weak? You must be trolling
Also fully charged punch launches enemies farther and stuns them when they hit walls

Like doom is scary now you can’t just ignore him and hide

Because no off tank
And he is beffy enough to survive focus fire and stuns

His primary fire now recovers faster
And even with the damage nerf still two shots squishies when you hit your shots

He has the potential to outplay any tank

3 second cd on punch allows him to play keep away vs rein
Use power block for fire strike and when he closes the distance
Or even better run circles around him and murder his backline

Winston bubble can be anoying to fight around but again punch every three seconds to keep him off your team while they burst bubble

Zarya is kinda tricky she has to activate bubble early to avoid the punch and you want to bait her bubbles and then punch so a bit of a mind game

Sigma has rock but then again dive character hides until he is ready to engage and burst the bunker

Hog is still kind of a joke this meta I see him more but he feels like someone that thrives on people not understanding the matchup and failing to focus him down
But when they do he crumbles under the presure of most tanks with the right backline

Dva IDK I don’t see her too much despite hearing she is strong but they both can bother each other so I don’t think it’s losing for doom

Orisa is uncertain but I think they are even
Orisa can struggle to get a doom off her team and doom can struggle to deal coordinate engages around the immortal orisa
I see doom stomp orisa I stomp doom on orisa I see orisa stomp doom I stomp orisa on doom
Think it is truly just a skill based matchup

If I forget any tanks lmk also
I don’t believe doom is broken
Just that if played well he has the tools to fight most tanks

1 Like

The song of every doomfist main that played him for the sole ability of “I’m so awesome” one button instant kills.
Sorry you don’t get your one button smash anymore and are too lazy to learnt he new kit, but I’ve been in plenty of matches in OW2 already being dominated by a doomfist who learned how to use this version of him, and they have been untouchable.

3 Likes