OW needs to allow only One Shield Tank

You have to know it in the back of your mind that it’s the only way to save tanks. As more tanks are developed, it allows for different types of shield tanks, that won’t overlap and create a shield meta. Allow only one shield/anchor tank, but still allow duo non-shield carrying tanks. Sigma and Orisa can be reverted as well.

1 Like

More than that, you’d be able to buff them even further Rein is now, in an effort to make them more popular, and fix queue times.

Agreed, that way it isn’t Rein time 24/7.

Well, I do happen to have a fix for that.

✅ 1x BarrierTank Role Queue design

While I somewhat agree to this, it sadly only makes every damn game more and more alike.

I don’t think I want to see this game go down that route, it’s gone far enough.

I think having more, weaker shield options is inherently more interesting because it allows more team combinations

These single barrier tank suggestions are intentionally sabotaging creativety just because they can’t think of how to work around these comps.

If that happens enjoy your longer que times

Besides of tank options and acceptable paring already being low, how would you go about classifying barrier tanks?

Because technically, you could argue most tanks (and certainly Winston) are barrier tanks even though most only think of Rein, Orisa, and Sigma as such. I guess an anchor tank separation would work fine, but you’d still have the issue of terribly restrictive options.

You’re stifling hero design creativity by having to worry about how one shield is going to cover the other shield’s weakness by creating a wall that DPS have to get around.
I have no problem switching to counter it and know how to play around it, but we’ll keep running into double barrier over and over again. That’s boring for an FPS.

That’s why hopefully OW2 comes out with multiple tank heroes. I’m not saying do this now, but tanks need something soon.

Hopefully, but I fear we’ll be lucky to get two tanks with OW2 and I don’t feel like that’s going to be enough.

All the comments they’ve made lately make it seem as if they aren’t really taking the need for more Tanks and Supports seriously.

Wouldn’t really affect queue times if it’s 1 barrier tank max, but 0 barrier tank minimum.

Heck, top that off with some beefy barrier tank buffs, and it would fix queue times.

Oh great, more limitations upon the most limited roster.

Queue times will be 30min in plat.

• Rein + OffTank

Vs

• Rein + OffTank
  • Orisa + OffTank
  • Sigma + OffTank
  • Winston + OffTank

Which one is more variety?

The first one.

That is, after you list all the possibilities and stop loading the question.

Realistic options are better than pure imagination.

I think it will just result in a lazy solution like killing goats with role queue instead of dealing with the problem.
Shields themselves are not the problem…
The fact that 1 tank version considered better than other is the problem…
In support you’ve got some heroes that do more heal and some do utility.
in dps you’ve got burst dmg and spam dmg.
Only the tank category doesnt really make sense…
Why would off tanks be concidered worse than main tanks?

If they really want to balance the game in the right way- buff the off tanks protection, I saw some amazing ideas in the experimental card of 1-3-2 that can result in really good balance or at least less diverse between the 2 kinds of tanks…
D.va can get more matrix, her time based shield is still worse than a normal shield, the only place it’s better is against ultimates which doesnt makes sense to me… Not something too long but at least something that will result at picking her against Bastion would be better than picking any kind of shield in term of survivablity…

Zarya? Her bubbles are not a real protection so far, it’s offensive tool not deffensive.
So decrease her dmg by a bit and decrease energy from each bubble but bubble to all team…
Also can be nice increasing the duration of the bubble from 2 to 3 seconds. just to help her a bit dealing with flankers like Reaper or Tracer which she already counter but not as strong as rein counters soldier for example…

Hog? The poor guy only god dmg resistance+healing for himself… The only real way he got to protect his team is interruption of one hero. I really liked the idea of aoe cloud of dmg resistance. makes him more viable as a tank…

It’s important to remember tanks should not be a 3rd dps. their job is protection and making space.
So focusing more their defensive side really makes sense…
Even if you do think some changes are op-remember Reinhardt can do max dmg of 450dmg per swing but will usually do between 75-150 dmg, which is still ALOT compared to other tanks especially when considering his shield got MUCH MORE hp and isn’t on a 10sec cooldown…
AND can protect the whole team.
But it’s not because Rein is op or something, it’s basically all other tanks being underpowered…
Orisa was meant to be Rein’s counter so make sense for her to be strong as well before the massive nerfs that killed the character.

1 Like

Keep imagining your bruiser category then.

Nothing unreasonable about simply buffing Orisa. OWL is already using her more since the Rein nerfs.

Well they could just do first come first serve on the 1x barriertanks, and take out the fancy parts.

I don’t think double barrier comps will be too problematic in the future as long as barrier health is kept on the lower end, and barrier tanks sacrifice something to be paired with each other

Right now, you definitely sacrifice something with each of the double barrier comps.

With Sigma Orisa, it’s close range reliability.
With Rein Sigma, it’s long range reliability.
With Rein Orisa, it’s a combination of both of those to a lesser extent and mobility.

As long as these sorts of pairings come with a fault and a reasonable total health for the barriers, I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

Not all barrier tanks even have to have these big shields with big health anyways. They could bring some in that are more like Brig or Zarya sized shields, and that would hardly be oppressive just as a barrier.

Restrictions has almost ruined this game. First role queue, then hero ban, and now you want to go into fine details on what heroes INSIDE each role people need to pick?
What is next? Healers? 2x offhealers is also not optimal, right? What about DPS? Must there be one sniper? Is Mei enough damage with some other heroes?

All these restrictions will put the players in a straightjacket, and the game ends up dictating exactly how a team must be composed.